It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS monthly giveaway :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be cool if the nice people running ATS would have a monthly giveaway?

A t-shirt maybe... or a tin foil hat... a coffee cup or other little site related souvenier.

Maybe they could have three separate ones, one each for ATS, BTS and PTS .

[edit on 30-8-2007 by fweshcawfee]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Something free is always nice, but I bet there are a lot of people here that don't want ATS to know their home address. I think that's why they award points instead of products.

There's a caption contest going on right now that can snag the winner 25,000 ATS points.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Great now they'll use that as their excuse never to do it. Thanks anxietydisorder!

I entered a few captions for that contest you linked, I think the funniest one though was probably the time tested "No seriously... pull my finger"

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee

Great now they'll use that as their excuse never to do it. Thanks anxietydisorder!

Sorry fweshcawfee,

I didn't intend to poop on your parade.

But as you can see, I'm here with a baggie to clean it up.

A giveaway is a good idea.

It would be cool if the person that received the most stars over a month could claim a t-shirt or coffee mug as a prize. It might give people more incentive to create quality posts that attract attention.

I know I'd like to be sipping my coffee from a free ATS mug.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
That sounds good in concept but partiality tends to influence which person or what viewpoint gets acknowledged... so to reward the highest star or flag count might not really be the best way to go about it.

I often notice threads and posts that don't receive any recognition even though they clearly were well thought out or researched, informative, spell checked, etc. And likewise I've seen more than a few things that seem to have been slapped together in under a minute, and the flags and stars will pour in...

So yeah, flags and stars are cool, especially when you get them... but they're really not the best indicators of "quality" in my opinion, especially since you only have the option of giving something positive recognition.

A thread or post might have 10 stars, so sure you think it must be awesome. But it's possible that more people disliked it than liked it, you'll never though because the rating system only goes one way.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I've had the same thoughts over the star system.
I'd love the option to take stars away when I think the post isn't worthy.

This might be a pointless wish, but, if you could vote a post up or down the cream would truly rise to the top. I don't think any member has enough friends or sock puppets to influence a voting system like that.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Yep and I starred your post, HAHA

We're on the same page with it I think. Maybe the powers that be will buzz in here and soak in some of these thoughts...

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
...if you could vote a post up or down the cream would truly rise to the top. I don't think any member has enough friends or sock puppets to influence a voting system like that.

I couldn't agree more.

UrbanDictionary has a system like that in place and it really does help you have a better idea of which posts are "quality" contributions as determined by the members.

And this is something I'll comment on only because it tickles me and makes me laugh, but have you ever noticed how certain people here can post just about any old thing and a half dozen people or more will rush to flag it, star it and post suck-up comments?

I honestly keep a look out for certain people to post anything because it's hilarious to watch the butt smoochers roll in after them

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by fweshcawfee

That sounds like a FANTASTIC idea!

What would be the criteria for members to earn a 'free-bee'?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

As far as just a general monthly giveaway, I think active membership should be the only criteria. It shouldn't be a contest per say but just a drawing.

Generate a random number from 1 to however many members there are, check to verfiy the member is active and in good standing... and there's da winna!

top topics

join