It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Trucks Begin Crossing Border Saturday

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicize
Believe it or not, I write software for sorters at distribution centers. I am aware of the process.

A large portion of the trucking business is from the port to the DC, that will be gone. But what is going to prevent mexican trucking companies from shipping the product from the DC to the store?

Sheer numbers. In the US alone, over the next ten years we are going to need 500,000+ truckers just to keep up with the number that are retiring. That's NOT counting expanding companies. So unless the Mexican companies can come up with about a million truck drivers they will never be able to take over the business from the US companies.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The stereotyping of mexicans on this thread is awful. APC, I didn't realize that mexicans are the only people who litter. And logicize, explain to me how mexican trucks are the only trucks that break down?

Very sad.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
This is ridiculous!! You know what you should do, truckers? Shut it down and refuse to do anything until the U.S government reverses this decision. I guarantee you, when the trucks stop, America stops. It may take a couple of weeks for our disturbed politicians to see the error of their ways, but they will nonetheless.

We tried to have a slow down twice, where we slowed trucks down to the speed limit (truck drivers are not allowed to strike), and no one paid the slightest attention to us, and in many cases the trucks slowing down were stopped by the police for holding up traffic and cited.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

That's a very good idea. It would be a tough decision for truckers though. They still gotta eat.

I'm sure that most are prudent enough to have put money back. Also, a large portion of them are married to people who also work..

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You sound as though you support this idea. Are you in this business? If so, in what capacity.

In my opinion, there is no way this is a good idea.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
My first worry...

Is safety... I just don't see the majority of Mexican based companies maintaining their fleets to the same standards as the U. S. and Canada.

I think you'll see an increase in incidents, along with a lot more "road gators" on our highways.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

We tried to have a slow down twice, where we slowed trucks down to the speed limit (truck drivers are not allowed to strike), and no one paid the slightest attention to us, and in many cases the trucks slowing down were stopped by the police for holding up traffic and cited.

I''m talking about going on strike... Refusing to do anything until the government reverses its decision to allow a foreign nation to bring loads into this country.

link   

Originally posted by scooler1
The stereotyping of mexicans on this thread is awful. APC, I didn't realize that mexicans are the only people who litter. And logicize, explain to me how mexican trucks are the only trucks that break down?

Very sad.

They're not, but if you could see the reports on Mexican trucks coming over the border you would understand. Right now, they run from the border to a freight forwarder, and are inspected at the border. I was in El Paso waiting for a Mexican truck to drop off a trailer for me, when he finally got there, he was 8 hours late, and had four pages of things they had found wrong with the truck. Mexico doesn't have anything like the DOT we have in the US to regulate their trucking industry and to ensure that they're driving safely. US trucks are required by law to be inspected daily to ensure everything is operating properly. This truck had everything from tires that barely had tread, to all but one axle leaking, and major air leaks in the brake system.

link   
It wouldn't have anything to do with busting the Teamsters, would it?

"The Bush administration is ignoring the American people in its zeal to open our borders to unsafe Mexican trucks," said Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa. "This reckless pilot program must be stopped and the driving public protected."
Says Todd Spencer, Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association executive vice-president: "We have strongly opposed this program since first introduced, and in particular, the secretive nature in which it has been presented by the DOT."

www.todaystrucking.com...

I used to be a teamster (Byers Trucking, Alta), just so you know my stance.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Speaker, truck drivers are not allowed to strike. It's considered treason if we do. We're responsible for moving military equipment across the country, as well as goods to and from shippers to stores. If we strike we go to jail, it's that simple.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

You sound as though you support this idea. Are you in this business? If so, in what capacity.

In my opinion, there is no way this is a good idea.

Support what idea? I support the truckers right to strike in order to get the government to reverse the law...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Speaker, truck drivers are not allowed to strike. It's considered treason if we do. We're responsible for moving military equipment across the country, as well as goods to and from shippers to stores. If we strike we go to jail, it's that simple.

You mean to tell me truckers have never went on strike?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by scooler1

I never said that mexican trucks are the only trucks that break down. I have spent most of my life in Souther California, and I have been to Mexico many times. I have seen the vehicles on the road there and they are not to the same standard as the US. Yes the majority are in a very poor state of repair as are the cars and pick up trucks.

apc

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by scooler1
APC, I didn't realize that mexicans are the only people who litter.

Of course Mexicans aren't the only people that litter. But I speak from experience. I've been to Mexico several times and have lived among illegals. Mexican-Americans are just like anybody else. People born and raised in Mexico however... ug... I'm surprised basura is even in their vocabulary. I have to conclude it's a cultural thing.

If the trucks come in, the number of heat-and-eat burrito wrappers lining the shoulders will skyrocket.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Sorry, I meant to reply to Zaphod58.

He seems to be in support of having mexican trucks operating in the US.

Yes, I would support a trucker strike.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
You mean to tell me truckers have never went on strike?

You may see them strike on a company basis, but on a nationwide basis it's illegal for truckers to strike. And that's what it will take for it to have any effect. It would have to shut down the country to get people's attention.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Sorry, I meant to reply to Zaphod58.

He seems to be in support of having mexican trucks operating in the US.

Yes, I would support a trucker strike.

I'm not in support of it in any way shape or form. However after seeing the reaction of people to it, and our attempts to stop it from happening, I've pretty much accepted that it's GOING to happen and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop it. I was fighting against it just as hard as you guys from the start, and I still think it's the dumbest idea in recent years.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

That's good to hear, so have I. I know many truckers who feel the same. I also heard they are going to get to bypass the state inspection stations. Anyone know if that is true?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Let me get this straight...

The prospect of Mexican truckers hauling freight into the US and all points north, likely including Canada, should be stopped on the notion that they may cause excessive litter.

Never mind the jobs that will be lost as these rigs start crossing the continent.

It's an attack on the Teamsters, IMHO.

apc

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
No. It's simply a supporting argument. I'm not qualified to argue the other points. This one however, yup.

[edit on 30-8-2007 by apc]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join