It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Iraq has failed to meet most benchmarks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Report: Iraq has failed to meet most benchmarks

news.yahoo.com

The Associated Press has learned the Government Accountability Office, or GAO, will report that at least 13 of the 18 benchmarks to measure the surge of U.S. troops to Iraq are unfulfilled ahead of a Sept. 15 deadline. That's when Bush is to give a detailed accounting of the situation eight months after he announced the policy, according to three officials familiar with the matter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
What is interesting here is that the officials that spoke on "the condition of anonymity" also forewarn that the Bush admin will try and manipulate the report and blame it on the "all or nothing" type of parameters.

IMO, Bush has had almost five years, unlimited money and resources and has produced NOTHING. If I did that at my job I would be fired!

news.yahoo.com

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You would of been fired sued and possibly imprisoned my friend. But we live in the real world where rules and laws are adhered to not the fantasy world Bush and his cohorts inhabit.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

To be honest, if your inaction and mistakes in your job caused the death of over 3000 people in your own company and well over 600000 civilians and maybe 10 times that in wounded and people that had to flee their homes, you would probably face more then just getting fired.

603000 life sentences and a couple 100 billion $$ in damages for wrongful death lawsuits sounds about right.

[edit on 30/8/07 by thematrix]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I just think it is really interesting where we have government officials BLATANTLY leaking things to preempt any doctoring of a report. It seems that there are more and more people who are trying to get the truth out about what is going on inside of our government!

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Luckely that means that the way things are now, the system, where the goverment still can be held accountable and can't do everything in secret(eventhough they wish they could) is still functioning to some degree.

Dissent is important and as long as we still have the freedom to bring lies and deception to light, there is some hope left.

Once the goverment is able to crush and vilify all dissenters, thats when we're in real trouble imho.

"It only takes good people to do nothing for evil to prevail"

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin

What is interesting here is that the officials that spoke on "the condition of anonymity" also forewarn that the Bush admin will try and manipulate the report and blame it on the "all or nothing" type of parameters.

IMO, Bush has had almost five years, unlimited money and resources and has produced NOTHING. If I did that at my job I would be fired!

news.yahoo.com

Well said Truth. Where do you come across all of this amazing info. I see ur name associated with many of this sites most facinating topics. I want to participate more. any advice as to where I can look or search for helpful info for the ATS community?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Obviously, the next week ahead is going to be very interesting.
If indeed, there is a foreign network in Iraq, actively controlling militia aspects.. then they will definitely want to be making headlines to get the right message across.....

'' WE, are in fact winning! ''

After 4 and a half years of pointless carnage and devastation, we're effectively giving them an excuse to continue this folly, as long as they see fit.

The Report due to congress shortly, will state only whats been given to the media over the last few years, in regards to bomb attacks and assassinations.
It'll look bad, it'll sound 'realistic' but it will end with those magic words

'' I believe however, that our continued presence in Iraq, will bring security and stability to an important ally in the war on terror! ''

and thats it..... it doesn’t matter if you believed it..... it doesn’t matter if you know, its a load of $h1+,

They have stated it, on air.. .therefore it is to be recorded as history.

You really think the report is going to force GW + Richard Cheney to withdraw all that military hardware / men? or to 'giveup' this tremendous cashcow they created?

Especially when there's so much opportunity... just next door... ripe for the pick'n?

Did ya hear, The private militaries are buying Jets now.....

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
it seems that our attention is being directed to the 18 benchmarks of the Surge Policy (instead of the Iraq occupation itself)

i for one would like a detailed list of these 'benchmarks'...which are absent in media reports

but what is available is the circular & confusing jumble of talk that is intended to have one just drop the subject...
for example, in the OP link, the opening paragraph tell us

of the 18 'Benchmarks', 13 are 'unfulfilled'....

And a July Report says the Administation believes the Iraqis have made;

satisfactory progress on eight

it graded six as unsatisfactory

and said two were mixed

and 'too early' to judge the remaining two

all of which sounds like the army term 'SNAFU'
(situation normal all fudged up)

and if you followed the serpentine disclosure of the status of the Surge,
you can see that nothing presented will result in the Surge being curtailed
or abandoned...all the unfulfilled items need is just a little more money & manpower and time.

~quagmire? / morass?...which word is more appropriate?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Does anyone here know what the benchmarks are?

What right does America have to make demands from the supposedly independent democratic Iraqi government?

What happens if they don't meet the benchmarks? That I can answer.

The surge does not end until they do meet the benchmarks.....

new topics

top topics

join