It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC: Flying Saucer Cars available

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
wouldn't Quantum Computers help make these things safe, probably looking at a few more decades though for that to be available to the public in some dumbed down version of the state of the art Government and Military Quantum computers, i read some where that Quantum Computers will defie Moore's law and will jump ahead at great advanced leaps of computing power, it also said that in 20-30 years Quantum Computers would reach a level of computer power to analyse every atom in the entire universe and compute it in a day.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This flying saucer car has been in the works for years. Every now & again its developers pop up to hail it as the new way forward. The last time I saw a news article they had successfully got it to take off although it was tethered to the ground by wires. In the BBC video I'm unsure whether they've got any further tbh. It looks unstable enough at merely ten feet off the ground. Heaven alone knows who'd be brave enough to test fly it to 6000 feet.

And what a noise it makes too. Imagine even a few people in your neighbourhood flying off to work every morning. It'd be like living in the midst of a heliport.

A complete non starter. Great fun for the guys who are developing it. But a total non starter nevertheless. But hey, if you guys take to the skies that'll leave the roads totally empty for me & my Volvo. No more traffic queues for me. Yay.

It's like the books I read as a child. I've still got one where Arthur C. Clarke states quite categorically that by the year 2000 we'd be flying Pan Am to the moon for our vacations. As I child in the early 70's I really did believe him too.

*sigh* the innocence of youth

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by blobby

there are so many goodies being withheld from the public or only slowly released. thats why we have conspiracy forums like ATS. but who knows...maybe we`d behave similarly protectice if we were in power.

In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if some of the elite are already enjoying flying saucers...more advanced than the one on the BBC show. hey, who knows...maybe the BBC report is only to distract from more advanced stuff.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niall197

It's like the books I read as a child. I've still got one where Arthur C. Clarke states quite categorically that by the year 2000 we'd be flying Pan Am to the moon for our vacations. As I child in the early 70's I really did believe him too.

*sigh* the innocence of youth

Im still like that kid who believes. but ive simply postponed it to the year 2050 instead of 2000. we HAVE come a long way since the 70s (internet for example), but not as far as flying cars yet.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
this is a really cool topic

I found a video that goes with the story

here is the link to the video:cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I got a 404 error on the bbc link

I believe that this technology can be awful, imagine the visual pollution, the lack of sunlight, people landing their hover over kids playgrounds, drunk driving = 911 by thousands, etc

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ckrules

Im glad you are excited about the subject, but thats the video that opened this thread in the first place.

and your link doesnt work. the one on the first page still does.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross_bowie
I got a 404 error on the bbc link

I believe that this technology can be awful, imagine the visual pollution, the lack of sunlight, people landing their hover over kids playgrounds, drunk driving = 911 by thousands, etc

yeah. awful. which is why we want the cleaner, safer and more silent technology rather than the old smoke puffing loud engine technology.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The link was not working, and I only took a cursory look through the first page of this thread, so I am slightly out of the loop as to the direction this thread has taken. I'll throw my worthless two cents in anyway.

I'm afraid the news of a car that hovers ten feet off the ground is 50 years old. The Canadian company Avro produced a hovering car for the US military back in the late '50s.

The Avrocar was originally supposed to be a low level aircraft for the army, but was not able to fly above ten feet without becoming wildly unstable. The designers then decided to try it out as a hovering jeep, but it was eventually decided it was not useful, and the project was scrapped.

en.wikipedia.org...

That was 50 years ago. Experimental flying wings of that era were also wildly unstable, but the problems were fixed in the '80s with computer stabilization controls. That's how the B2 bomber stays in the sky without tumbling out of control. Similar computer stabilization control would make a vehicle similar to the Avrocar usable, if not practical.

Incidentally, if the Avrocar had been fitted with a rubber skirt, it probably would have made an excellent hovercraft.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by Boingo the Clown]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hmm, is anyone else getting a 404 when they try to read this story? Mabye something is wrong with the link?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
apparently bbc removed the story from that page. google should be able to solve this.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i give a crap about a flying car.

what i always wanted was a jet pack....i'd rather have that or a flying motorcycle..
THAT is freedom....

hover cars are just not practical. even with the electronics and computers, there are still failures.
not gonna happen

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join