It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Investigating Threats to U.S. Stores

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

FBI Investigating Threats to U.S. Stores

biz.yahoo.com

NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) -- A bomb threat that caused the evacuation of a Wal-Mart and led employees to wire $10,000 to the caller appears to be part of a broader scam targeting other businesses around the country, authorities said.

The FBI was looking into whether the calls to the banks and stores were being placed from overseas and was compiling reports from local police departments to probe for similarities between the cases, Kolko said Wednesday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Interesting... they know where the money was wired to, hopefully they'll make an arrest soon.

biz.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Im sorry but something seems fishy to me.

im not a very paranoid person but this kinda jumped out at me when i read this but i could be completely wrong.

if you are going to call a big business like WALMART that probably makes 10,000 in a single store in an hour or two...why would you only ask for that much? i mean even if you were just sitting at your house doing the call i would ask for at least 25 grand...AT THE LEAST.

so unless there is something with the bank that you cant immediatly wire more then 10,000 i think this is kind of wierd. this seems like a test run to me. to see what the thresh hold is and to study the response of the security for these businesses.

but like i said....i could be way off base.

Kind regards,
Digitalgrl

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I can't believe that Wal-Mart would wire $10,000 to anyone based on a phone call.

Did the police have anything to do with this decsion?

Talk about throwing money out the window.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The amount itself is suspect unless it was "requested" by a third world country with no idea what money is.

1M $ would have probably been more in order. But hey, who knows where this is coming from?

15 stores have now been hit with the same demands- and 3 have paid up!!!

Something stinks here.

As i go to work at my store today, a big chain, it makes me wonder

No explosives have ever been found in any stores

[edit on 30-8-2007 by dgtempe]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Such a small amount, and payment was probably authorised by some relatively lower level people...

I smell an inside job of sorts..."I'll call and demand the $10K, you pay it, and I'll give you $2k back"

Or something like that

Peace

new topics

top topics

join