It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Australian Special Forces

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
A few videos showcasing Australian Special Forces. Some show the Australian Commandos, most though are the SASR. Just to clear the air, the British SAS do not train and never have trained the Australian SASR. The SASR are onsidered equal to the BRitish SAS, SBA and AMerican DElta and SEALS. The SASR can trace it's origins back to Z Special Unit in WWII. Z Special Unit carried out arguably the longest behind the lines mission in history. They travelled thousands of miles thorugh JApanese help territory to successfully attack SIngapore Harbour in 1943.

[edit on 29-8-2007 by mad scientist]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
no way are the aussie sp same as SAS sas are the best, best of the best dont think aussie sp are as good but cool links been a while since i last saw some action

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

Sorry, but the links aren't working for me.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by manzoor
no way are the aussie sp same as SAS sas are the best, best of the best dont think aussie sp are as good but cool links been a while since i last saw some action

Actually they are and are better equipped and have better training facilities than the British SAS. During Vietnam, the SASR were amongst the most feared units to the NVA and VC.
The Brits aren't the best, there are an elite group of spec forces around the world who are equal. There is no best in this league.
The British SAS just seem to ahve the most books written about them. Especially by former members, not very good for secrecy. So yes the British SAS are the most publicised unit in the world, but not the best.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
no i heard it on every doc on special forces and other places and SAS are the best no way are the aussie forces better spetznats are also one of the best brilliant at hand to hand i heard that the quds were also one of the best or i mite of got mixed up

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
found the one about the quds force

en.wikipedia.org...

go to numerical strenght says there that some analyst think they the best but im still all for saying sas are the best and well known

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
LOL, no documentaries I have ever seen or books for that matter claim teh British SAS are the best. This turned into a pissing contest very quickly. You might like to know that the Australian SASR have trained the BRitish SAS in jungle warfare before and that Australian soldiers who have missed out on selection for teh Australian SASR have left the Army and joined the Bristish Army and qualified for the SAS there. Just some facts.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
ask anyone and SAS it is feared and well known and yes there have been docs and books on them because i used to always wacth them and never have heard anything about aussie forces

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
c'mon!, everyone knows BLACKWATER is the new elite! ALL of our members are "elite" not just a few here and there, we're out in hardcore situations on a daily basis and wjhen we're not in the pit we're at the rnge shooting! my hand is still sore from this mornings shoot.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

ask anyone and SAS it is feared and well known and yes there have been docs and books on them because i used to always wacth them and never have heard anything about aussie forces

Exactly, we don't have to write books. The SASR is much more low key as any good unit specializing in their missions should. I think this goes to show how little you know. You would never here an SAS trooper calling himself the best in the world, lol.
What exactly in your opinion makes the Brits the best ? The proliferation of books, like Bravo 20 ( which ahs been proven to be largely fiction ) or the abundance of movies ?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by infiltr8u
c'mon!, everyone knows BLACKWATER is the new elite! ALL of our members are "elite" not just a few here and there, we're out in hardcore situations on a daily basis and wjhen we're not in the pit we're at the rnge shooting! my hand is still sore from this mornings shoot.

You are Blackwater stationed where ? And what were you before joining ?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
i really cant be asked to argue atm but read the bit about the quds interesting read it was for me temm me what you think and im off but shall add this to my favs tc

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

the only thing i can tell you is that i am "stationed"we call it "assigned" in the U.S. well right now i'm on time off, you would call it "on leave"

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Links worked this time except the 4th one.

Whose the best, who cares, all I know respect to all of them Oz or Brits there all tough and exceptionally effective.
I suspect both are best at one type of operation or another.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Maybe thats not such a good thing to be proud of, I know of atleast 2 incidents where the Special Boat Service (the naval special operations force) has allowed the SAS to take credit for thier operations because the SAS seems to like the limelight. All I can say is, have you ever heard of either the SASR or the SBS? If not then maybe thats for a good reason...."Not by strength but by guile"...a good and clever motto.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
As an ex Australian SF member manzoor, I can personally attest that our SASR are unoficially considered by BOTH their British and American counterparts as better allround. I have personally heard that from the mouth of a senior British SAS officer. I dont get my my information from watching doco's at home. Mind you I still believe that most SF members in Australia(particularly the heroes that are SASR
) if not world wide, tend to think they are "legends in their own minds". It comes with the territory.

As a point of interest mad scientist, the SASR did receive some initial training from their Britsh counterparts when they were formed as there was a lack of experienced men. This was caused by the break between the end of WWII and dissolution of the Z force commando's, and the formation of the initial SASR contingent.

I recently visited the site of the Z force's WWII training camp on the northern beaches of Sydney(America Bay at West Head to be exact) there is nothing much left. But the terrain is very steep and rugged so it must have been a real bastard running down to the water from the ridge top and back up every morning through spikey coastal scrub and sandstone drop offs. Good fitness training though.

LEE.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The reason the SAS is so famous is because when they ended the Iranian Embassy Siege. The TV news was there broadcasting live.

As well as the SBS there is also SRR

I think they have to sign a non-disclosure agreement on joining now.

BTW If one is killed in action his regiment is not given as the SAS but as the regiment he was in before.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Personally I think not one of you have the right or knowledge to say who is better. The tactics used by the SAS and SASR are highly secret. People seem to make a big deal of the fact that the SAS is the most well known, tell me what difference does that make to the ability and secrecy of operations they perform. All the documentaries you see about the SAS are year’s old and only feature tactics used in past conflicts. Now days a lot of the technology and operations of the SAS are kept highly secret and therefore not one you can comment on them personally.

At the end of the day the Australians will say they are better and the British ditto. Im sure they don’t share all of their tactics and secrets with each other as then they would be on the same level. Te main reason people believe the SAS are the best is mainly due to the fact of them being the originals and that they are the most expensive soldiers in the world. If I remember correctly each one revives over £2 million worth of training. I cannot comment on the SASR as I have no connections with them.

Lets just please not get into this in better thank you stuff.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
You might like to know that the Australian SASR have trained the BRitish SAS in jungle warfare before and that Australian soldiers who have missed out on selection for teh Australian SASR have left the Army and joined the Bristish Army and qualified for the SAS there. Just some facts.

As an ex-serviceman I know about the pissing contest between our SASR and Brit SAS, from battle-buddies i know I believe we are on par but don't have the history or statue that the brits have.

And to your comment on leaving Oz army to join the brit SAS I can tell you from first hand knowledge that anyone who fails the Australian SASR barrier training doesn't belong in either. I was in RAEME and did the barrier training regime for kicks (although tough - grant that, not a walk in the park).

I agree with comments that the SAS are more popular because there is more written about them (especially Iran).

But who is to say, different theatres, different situations. Most people who judge (at least online - and this isn't a dig at anyone in particular) are armchair generals who read too much. The idea of training with other SF's is to spread knowledge in specific theatres.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join