It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli ambassador kicked out of Swedish museum after vandalizing art

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Video can be found here:

svt.se...

Click on the link in the upper right corner that says "Ambassad�ren attackerar och f�rklarar sig"

The incident, widely reported in the Swedish media, occurred at the opening on Friday of the "Making Differences" exhibit, part of an upcoming international conference on genocide hosted by the Swedish government and in which Israel is scheduled to participate.

Sweden's foreign ministry said Saturday it would summon ambassador Zvi Mazel to a meeting to explain himself.

"We will contact him on Monday to arrange a meeting. We want to give him a chance to explain himself. We feel that it is unacceptable for him to destroy art in this way," ministry spokeswoman Anna Larsson told AFP.

Continued at:

sg.news.yahoo.com...

I hardly see this as art, but there are others who would.

But there is no excuse for these actions by a so-called diplomat.

I would expect better behavior from someone representing a nation.

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by ArchAngel]

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Obvously he found it personally traumatic. Maybe he knew someone that this person killed?

Here is what the bomber did...

"In October 2003, 29-year-old Hanadi Jaradat, a law student from Jenin, ate a meal at the family Maxim restaurant in Haifa, paid for it, stood next to an occupied baby carriage, looked around the shop, then detonated the bomb she was carrying." She killed 19 people.

www.jnewswire.com...

Imagine that an American diplomat who lost people in 9/11 saw the same type of art glorifying the people who killed so many.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Imagine that an American diplomat who lost people in 9/11 saw the same type of art glorifying the people who killed so many.

I hope he would be resposible enough to not throw an tantrum. I would bet that the Israeli diplomat was aware of the so-called art and planned this. He could have simply avoided going to the museum.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
He could have simply avoided going to the museum.

He didn't know he would see such thing.

P.S : the so-called " artist " is an Israelian and his wife is from Sweden.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Isn't it great how you can make some crappy, tasteless piece of work, and if its called "art" its immediatly above criticism. This harks back to the "madonna in a condom" type of "art".

There are many so-called "artists" who are nothing of the sort, and need to make things for the shock value of it because they don't have any artistic ability themselves, and are unable to appeal on the true "artistic" level. Its art by the mediocre...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Or maybe it just pissed him off to see the world finally realizing what the Palestinian suicide bombers are. Freedom Fighters!!

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think that this Israeli went over the edge over nothing,

And this kind of behavior shouldnt be tolerated.

Btw,

There was nothing offensive about the work..

I saw it and i saw as the man tore it down..

Oh,

And about suicide bombers..

Stop for a moment and think what drives people do it..

Israelis do!

They (Israelis..) arent innocent victims.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
has anyone bothered to read the whole story?

The piece in question is a picture of suicide bomber in a basin filled with red water so it looks like blood. It IS art. To quote the artist:

"The other artist, Feiler's Swedish wife Gunilla Skoeld Feiler, told daily Expressen that the work was "not a glorification of the suicide bomber."

"I wanted to show how incomprehensible it is that a mother-of-two, who is a lawyer no less, can do such a thing," she said."

I don't see the problem with that. It is supposed to make people think WHY all these things happen in the Middle East, there is nothing wrong with that, and it is NOT glorifying anyone.

Man.....

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
There are innocent victims, and extremists on both sides.

Unless the extremists are stopped they may soon be outnumbered by the victims.....

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
heres a pic of it....

www.debka.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Art is open to the individual interpretation...looks to me as if its glorifying the bomber...hers is a WHITE boat in a sea of red...

any human than can blow themselves up and deliberately destroy a baby in the process...is nothing short of an agent of evil and deserves to have his or her memory obliterated from the face of the earth...no matter WHAT the cause, nationality or religion

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
I hardly see this as art, but there are others who would.

But there is no excuse for these actions by a so-called diplomat.

I would expect better behavior from someone representing a nation.

But with these points I agree.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has praised his country's ambassador to Sweden for damaging an art exhibit depicting a Palestinian suicide bomber.

Sharon defended Mazel in remarks at the beginning of the weekly Cabinet meeting on Sunday.

"I called the Israeli ambassador to Sweden, Zvi Mazel, yesterday and thanked him for his stand against the growing wave of anti-Semitism," the prime minister said.

"I told him the government stands behind him on this issue. We have been witness to mounting anti-Semitism world-wide and in Europe particularly, and the phenomenon is getting worse."

What a bastard!

Yeah!!!

Lets play the victim card..

Lets play the anti-Semitism card..

How lame!

What a #er!

Theres no excuse for anybody behaving like this.. and yet this Sharon #er supports this!

How adult, how civilized!

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This has me almost confused.

A Jewish artist creates a work that is supposed to reflect the horror of terrorism.

An Israeli(Jewish) diplomat throws a temper tantrum and crushes it.

The Prime Minister of Israel(Jewish) supports his actions.

If the artist, and the work are against terrorism then are these 'men' supporting terrorism by doing this?

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
ArchAngel,

Well..

In some peoples books Mr.Sharon is the Nro.1 terrorists..

Has been for tens of years..

Also..

The artist was a Jew?
(They didnt mention this in the news that i saw about this..)

LoL,

Then this all is even more #ed up.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The artist was a Jew?
(They didnt mention this in the news that i saw about this..)

A former Israeli Anti-Zionist Jew.

After wrecking the exhibit and calling it �a monstrosity and an affront to the grieving families,� the Israeli ambassador was hustled out of the museum and informed he would be summoned to the Swedish foreign ministry next Monday to explain his actions.

In Jerusalem, the Israeli foreign ministry official Ran Curiel called the Swedish ambassador to warn him that if the offensive exhibit is not removed, Israel will reconsider its attendance at the conference.(conference on genocide hosted by the Swedish government) Sweden, he said, would not be allowed to hide behind the principle of artistic freedom to justify terrorist murders of Israeli citizens.

A diplomatic storm had blown up in hours.

The designers happened to be an ex-Israeli Swede called Dror Feiler and his Swedish wife Gunilla Skoeld Feiler. Dror is president of a group called �Jews for Palestinian Peace.�

Snipped from:

www.debka.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Good thing Israel is a true center for individual and civil rights.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This behaviour is unacceptable from ANYONE!

Least of all someone in this person's position.

Sad part of all of this is that he will get away with it, knowing the power his small country wields around the world.

On the other hand I know that this was also a setup in order to get a reaction and it did work.

I hate childish people that do that and frankly they are worse than the reaction they engender to obtain.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I just found a video of the event that includes the confrontation between the Ambassador, and the artist just after, and an interview with both of them the next day.

To me this looks staged.

Click on the link in the upper right corner that says "Ambassad�ren attackerar och f�rklarar sig":

svt.se...

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Sad part of all of this is that he will get away with it, knowing the power his small country wields around the world.

No, the reason he will get away with it is a litte thing called "Diplomatic Immunity"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join