It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Hype Epidemic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
call me elitist, but I was never a fan of letting something become so popular that the essence of it is watered down by the popular masses and their hysterical frenzy.

why does everything have to follow "constant growth" and "become more and more popular"? cant some things just be left to their specific target group?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Sadly, it's symptomatic of a populace when the majority of them are blindly grasping for as much experience and involvement as possible whenever something "new" and "fresh" hits the scene.

But on a lighter note, sometimes you have to open the floodgates in order to get the attentions of those who are still in the formative stages of their paranormal and/or conspiratorial evolution - and it would be out of my personal belief structure to say that just because someone is a little younger, new to the terminology or inept at posting properly on a forum that their stories are invalid.

Sure, it's be great if people only made it here by intensive research and "accidentally landing" here on the ATS mothership, but in the search for intelligent life out there...never hurts to have a little PR and advertising on your side.

Another perk - most kids and nonserious types aren't going to stick around for long when they realize this isn't a "fun and games" site where no one takes things seriously. We've got some really diligent members and administrators here on site that help maintain order.

Now...that being said - back to business as usual for me.

And uh, Amigos? If you're out there on this one I'd LOVE to know when are we engraving the ATS logo on the moon with these newfangled "lasers" I've just heard about.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
reply to post by Skyfloating

Another perk - most kids and nonserious types aren't going to stick around for long when they realize this isn't a "fun and games" site where no one takes things seriously.

yeah...they`ll get bored before they even catch a breeze of the secret forum and the ATS forums above that that are so secret we dont even know they exist...and the secret ATS forums above that, that are so secret not even the administrators know they exist.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I think this might have something to do with that everyone has been having this feeling lately, that something is definitely up and something is going to happen, something big and something bad (which also brings forward more and more predictions).

People are on edge and jump on these and other "new event" threads because they are hopping that whats contained in there might be the explination why they are feeling like this and with that will relieve them from that anxiety and move them forward.

Anxiety is something I've lived with my whole life (and recently I've come to know why, Aspergers) and when anxiety is caused by internal feelings or illogical fears, people persistently keep looking for an external cause for the fear, to try to calm and face it.

The fear that something is going to happen is, imho, a real fear in this case, caused by seeing whats going on in the world and not just some trick of the mind. We just don't know when, where and in what form yet, but something is going to happen for sure.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I am going to be a little bit hard here, but I think a lot of the population needs to believe that something "special" is going to happen because otherwise they are going to have to continue to live their dull, boring and for the most part pathetic and useless lives. They do not have dreams of their own to accomplish because their own life is in such a deep hole that they cannot envision climbing out on their own so they enter a sort of fantasy land where something amazing or sometimes disastrous is right around the corner. This prophetic event will change the world and give them the opportunity to change their own lives and possibly show the world that they can be a hero by saving the rest of us. But in the end it is all a fantasy woven web.

Dae

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

Yeah, wait when 2012 comes and goes without any 'transformation' and oh boy... Oh Im sure the date will be moved forward again and again for those hardcore believers in external change but many will get depressed. I hope that these people find some sort of peace.

Anyways, this thread like many others I see needs its own board *grins*

(the not so new) New Board Suggestion - Cults, Mind Control & Memetics

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Dae

Dae - haven't seen you in ages. Wonderful suggestion because that's exactly the POV I come from half the time. I just haven't been "letting loose" on my perspectives recently due to lack of a proper forum.

I've backed you up on your suggestion to the Board, and encourage others with similar interests to do the same.

Sure would make for a level playing field for some of us.

Dae

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Yup, ATS is missing a board for 'the mind' and this thread is a classic case... even the OP didnt know where their thread should go! I think the 3 Bosses dont like the idea of the 'cults' bit as we have a religion board, but as y'all know not all cults are religions.

About the 'ATS hype' thing, sometimes I do wonder if there is a cycle to it, August does seem to get the most excitement filled posts but then its hard to say, how could one quantify it? Plus Ive probably only seen 3 Augusts in ATS, not enough to get a good feel of it, oh and January seems like another month to watch for - damn did I just make a prediction? lol

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Thanks for explaining this better! That was a great post!
[color=#80c0e0]BIG THUMBS UP

And I agree with a lot of you that there needs to be a new forum for threads like this. I have a lot of thoughts and ideas that would fall in the same line of thinking, but have never posted them cuz I never knew where to stick 'em!

Ooo, and while we're mentioning a need for new threads... BTS needs an "Electronics" forum.
Jeez, I'm derailing myself now!

[edit on 8/30/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'll toss my hat in...

The predictions don't bother me. Some are very interesting and well researched, but it's the fact nobody uses the search facility which does!

I've lost count how many threads I read and think;

"Hmmm, I've read that somewhere before"

and a quick search on ATS shows another dozen threads on the same thing. Can't you just bump an existing thread and restart the discussion?

Quite alot of the sections have index pages and number reads them anymore.

WHY NOT?!!?

*moves keyboard away*

I'll shall end the rant here.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

It's ironic that a prolific thread creator such as yourself can muster the audacity to talk about a 'hype epidemic and still manage to get applauded for your efforts. Should the negative reinforcement really be so blatant done by awarding someone who apparently creates a thread at least every second day?

I am CONVINCED i could ruin this site more efficiently and i am willing to prove it with suitable " SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT", "FORUM MODERATOR" exciting exclamation attached to my name. Do we get paid, btw?

P.S I am only partly joking....

Stellar

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by StellarX

You calling me a spammer??

StellarX

I would like to think that my threads are more substantive than that...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join