It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.22 caliber long rifle ammunition

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I like Federal "auto match". It shoots as well as the really expensive stuff, and it is about 15$ for a brick of 325.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Federal had a problem last year with a number of batches of automatch. You will get a 20% FTF with some of their ammo now. Federal quality control in general has taken a nose dive.

If you are looking for wally world bulk, try the Winchester White Box .22lr.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have been shooting cci mini mag hollow points for over 40 years and would never think of shooting anything else. With cci mini mags up to 100 yards one shot means one kill for me on squirrels and small game.

I own two or the Ruger 10-22s with the tri color stocks. I have had many different 22's but these are the finest 22's I have ever owned. Teir accurecy is unbeatable.

West Virginia Hillybilly.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

Thanks for all the useful info.
Didnt you have alot of information on your backpack supply afew years ago? Ive looked for the thread and cant find it. You remember where that is? Thanks again man.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
mine is a ruger .22 bolt action. i jsut shoot winchester .22lr. Ive tried the fed rounds but half the time the casing dont eject right or they fall short. Never fired high grade competion ammo with it though, just use it for target practice 25-50 yrds.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Years ago Federal 22 ammo was the best ammo I ever shot. I had a High Standard Trophy Matic made in Camden and on a rest at 25 yards the gun almost shot hole through hole, and believe it or not, it was with their high velocity ammo. I've owned many 22 rifles and Federal ammo always out performed any other brand hands down. The problem with Federal is the fact that they have lowered their standards as far as black powder that they are using. My second choice would be CCI Blazer ammo, although I haven't tested it on a bench for years, it performed as well as Federal. I refuse to pay Federals "Target Ammo" prices which is well over $12.00 a box. As for Ruger 22 pistols, Remington Copper High Velocity always performed well. My last 22 pistol was S & W Mdl. 41 and would shoot dime size at 25 yards of sandbags. It's sad that High Standard boasts about their 22 pistols that are made in Texas and claim to be as accurate as the older ones that were made in Camden, CN. I bought one at fired it at 25 yards and then realized that I made a HUGE mistake. All the gun shops dropped them due to complaints ranging anywhere from accuracy to jamming problems.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
leeme start off by saying you stand with the few, the proud, the most highly trained .22 long rifle shooters in the world on this forum. We not only provide a sense of safety for our communities but a sense of action. The .22 can stand up to anything, if your shooting a bird in the head or an elephant in the eye, it'll take diwn your target. It can even get past heavy body armor by shooting the wearer in the face. Remember it when I say being a .22 owner is being the lucky one to touch the true face of god.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
i conducted a science project on this topic and found out remington value pack is the best 550 pack

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Every firearm will like a certain kind of ammo over another. Best to try a few diff brands and see which one yours likes best.. The federal, and most other "bulk packs" are usually not up to par as far as quality control compared to other brands.. CCI is a good one, but again, some rifles shoot the cheap stuff better so it depends. Hope this helps.

Deebo

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
CCI and winchester works good f me, the wolf ammo was made in germany last i saw,and good stuff from what i heard.some one at the first page of this said they fired thier dads reloads in 22RF, i surely hope he was kiddin us, but maybe not.anyway reloading fired rimfire cases is ILLEGAL!! you can make a small tool to knock out firing pin dent in case and make up some primer compound , and get or make up bullets but the end result will be poor.there is no loading data ,or reloading tools. its ILLEGAL because the home made primer compund is considered a explosive by the ATF!! you are making home made explosives!!.its a wonder we are allowed to possess ammo, i'll bet some day they use that fact to restict amount of ammo we can have.yes there are at least 2 books out there on making your own primer compound and first pages they tell you its ILLEGAL and book is for info only.there are people that sell bullet forming dies that change shape of bullet in live round for improved accuracy,but that all you can really do with it,stick with factory ammo ,no experimenting with rimfire ammo!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone is getting this ammo shortage? I am from wyoming and during deer season i had to go through 3 different towns of stores to find a box of 270 and a box of 30-06 shells. everywhere was empty, then last night on a late night show they were talking about the "recent ammo shortage". so is it happening all over? if so, why

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I read almost every post, no one mentioned Eley...

I have been using Eley for over 5 years, I use the sub-sonic hollow points..."seem to be the most accurate" 5 shots out of a model 510 remmington, and also my 510 T remmington make 1 hole groups @ 50 yards, and easily hit 20 oz soda bottle lids @ 100 yds

I have been buying 50 rnd boxs "of the same lot #" for $4.50

Most .22's are not rifled for the higher velocity ammo."above 1100-1200 FPS" and will tend to be less accurate with those rounds, due to the bullet not going slow enough to untilize the rifling..they actually strip or rip through the rifling rather than spin in the fashion of the design.
Bad high velocity rnds IMO

My ammo only travels around 750 FPS and I have my scope dialed in, out to 200 yds.
I regularly head shoot squirells out to 100-125 yds.
With the scope I'm using 1 click is 1/4 " @ 100 yds I'm dialed inwith "zero being 40 yds, and 18 clicks gets me dead on at 100yds.

I read early on in this thread that some guy was shooting only his fathers reloads......

Many of the .22 ammo manufacturers rely strickly on the primer agent for the propellent, no powder is used.
The other rnd I have been looking in to is the remmington sub-sonic HP.

Many ppl make the mistake of putting .22 shorts in their bolt action rifles, yes it will fire and shooting a few should not hurt anything.
But after shooting shorts you must clean the chamber!
If you do not clean it, there is powder/primer residue left at an aren in the chamber that a LR rnd case will go past and upon firing a LR after shorts will deteriate or cause unwanted wear at a very bad place for the longitivty of a .22
It is much better to stay with the LR case and get sub-sonic ammo that will not cause un wanted chamber problems or a gun that does not eject as desired.
But take the info. as you will, its in all...your gun.

Wigga, I have noticed less ammo available, and upon a lil research found that most...I can't say for all ammo manu's that the shortage is not from a lack of ammo being made but from a spike in purchases.
Fiochi, UMC, and some of the local ammo manu's here are and have been on a full 24 hour round the clock operations for over 3 years, prior to that time they ran only an eight hour day shift 5 days a week.

I have never won this , but I place in the top ten almost always..
www.airguns.net...
Whether you compete or just use this as a standard target and a given range "50 yds for .22 rimfire"
This is a good target to print and use just to see if your ammo/gun is doing average or better, and helps tune a shooter.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Doc Holiday]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join