It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA, Sandia Announce New Integrated Public Alert And Warning Capability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I saw this release of the new alert system development and testing program and posting it here for the members, just in case they haven't seen this bit of news.

LINK

August 28, 2007 -- ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. and LIVERMORE, CALIF. —In partnership with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Sandia National Laboratories is designing and deploying a pilot alert and warning system that will provide a robust, multi-faceted path to ensure effective public communications during a federal, state, or local emergency.

Known as the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS), the program, which began piloting on Aug. 1 in the midst of the 2007 hurricane season, is administered by FEMA for the Department of Homeland Security and is initially supporting several states and local jurisdictions in the United States Gulf Coast region. IPAWS addresses the mandate and vision of Executive Order 13407 to ensure that the President can rapidly and effectively address and warn the public over a broad range of communications devices and under any conditions.

IPAWS is designed to transform national emergency alerts from audio-only messages delivered over radios and televisions into a sophisticated, comprehensive system that can reliably and efficiently send alerts by voice, text, and video to all Americans, including those with disabilities or who cannot understand English. FEMA’s aim is to deliver targeted alerts and warnings over more communications devices to more people, anywhere, and at any time a disaster strikes.

There is much more in the article for those interested.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
That's some pretty cool technology! At least if something happens people will be more aware. I wonder if this will be implemented locally also. For instance, if there's a flood and a bridge is out, will you get an alert if you are in the area?

I wonder if they could set up like a little beaconing system on the bridge that send out this type of signal to anyone within a mile or two of the affected area?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkie

I wonder if they could set up like a little beaconing system on the bridge that send out this type of signal to anyone within a mile or two of the affected area?

I watched a show the other night called "Decoding Disaster" -BRIDGES,

and it showed at least one bridge was "wired" from end to end in a pvc conduit which was attached underneath.

This "circuit" is tied into alarm and warning devices and signs on the road to alert vehicles approaching the bridge, and would be activated instantly upon a bridge collapse. ie "circuit broken", when the wire is split.

A very simple but effective solution, hopefully this will be implemented on many many more bridges in the future.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Interestingly, within the last hour, my local cable company here in the NYC area broadcast a test of an emergency warning system. It was shown as a large banner across the bottom of the TV screen and there was an audio announcement as well. It said something to the effect that this was a required monthly test. I don't, however, recall ever seeing such a test. It is certainly possible I could have missed it in previous months as it lasted less than a minute but I am off in the summer and often have the TV playing in the background. I also noticed that it had to be broadcast by the cable company because I have more than one TV and it played exactly the same message on two totally different channels.

top topics

join