It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm finally afraid...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
So, for the last 6 years I've been completely un-afraid of terrorist attacks. Simply put, the odds were too ridiculous to think about something major happening to me. I would laugh at the TV when they talked about Home Improvement stores being out of duct tape and plastic... "People will believe anything" I'd say.

Well, now with all the "underground" talk of potential false flag attacks... I'm somewhat worried and found myself thinking about buying one of those nifty 72 hour survival packs - along with a bunch of bottled water.

People in the conspiracy realm are really the only people who know about the recent put options on the stock market - and every other thread about recent events that has exploded on ATS related to another potential attack. Is this all some kind of psyop? Do they just want the people in the conspiracy realm to be afraid for some reason or another?

Are we being played? Are "they" setting us up for something (completely different than what we're hearing about)? Have they finally found a way to make EVERYONE afraid?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
YES, you are being played. I'm writing a thread on this, about how, for all the crying wolf the media does, nothing ever happens. Type in media and terrorism in google, and you will see terrorism simply does not and cannot exist without the media. The media harps on about terrorism, but in a nutshell they make it so effective.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

I totally agree. I think the media is hugely responsible for the hype, fear and effectiveness related to terrorism. The same way we don't "negotiate" with terrorists, we ought to limit coverage of all but the most credible and imminent threats.

I mean if, for examle, there is an authentic threat, there is very little the public can do to prevent an attack. They can only prepare themselves for eventualities and stay alert to their immediate surroundings.

Exhaustive news coverage gives terrorists and their misguided philosophies too much publicity and credence, thusly encouraging more of the same behavior. Furthermore, it gives the government an opportunity to control us through fear and "preventive" measures such as the so-called Patriot Act and the surveillance legislation recently passed.

As for the citizens at large, the constant barrage of threats and bad news promotes a fatalistic view of the world in which they feel they have no control and no hope. They are more likely to invest their time in self-centered and greedy pursuits - to enjoy life while they can - rather than take care of their families and communities. Society is stuck in the habit of short-term thinking: What's fun? What can I buy? Is my house big enough? Are my clothes nice enough? What is the latest celeb gossip? I feel bad, let me take some medicine to cover the symtom rather than fix the problem. The t.v. can babysit my kid, etc., etc., blah, blah blah...

Even so, who among us won't pause to be concerned about all of the various reports and won't think twice about our preparations and movements this next month? We are now conditioned to do it. Frankly, I am more concerned about the current administration's attempt to consolidate power than I am a terrorist attack but I will be vigilant to both possibilities

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
For all we know there hasn't been a terrorist attack on U.S. soil. There hasn't been a so-called terrorist attack since 9/11, but yet the terrorist "threat" is always elevated or higher. The terrorist "threat" is about as dangerous as playing jacks in a padded room filled with pink teddy bears. There is no terrorist threat, it's a crowd control tactic that they use.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I commend you for the rucksack and supplies idea! Everyone should have some dried foods and or mre's and a plan as to how to purify water (Distillation my favorite for on the go scenarios) in this day and age. No need to get all paranoid (like me), yet just having some forethought will give you the relaxed advantage in the event of any catastrophe big or small natural or man made. Sounds like you are waking up to deny ignorance and becoming responsible for yourself! No problem with that, you may not be able to change the course of events as I say either natural or manmade but you can change how you will respond or react. Sounds as if you are preparing to respond rather than react. No problem with that.

new topics

top topics

join