It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tarring and feathering makes a comeback

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
tired of the police doing nothing about drug dealers on their belfast estate, some hooded residents kidnapped a local drug dealer, tied him to a lamppost and tarred and feathered him. they hung a sign around his neck which read "i am a drug dealing scumbag"

it must be so frustrating for parents to try and keep their kids on the straight and narrow while they watch criminals get away with corrupting their children with drugs (and the associated troubles that brings with it) and the police do nothing at all. its no wonder they are starting to get fed up and take the matter into their own hands.

story here

perhaps taking notice of peoples concern over crime (or just saying anything to win the next election), tory leader david cameron has announced his party would adopt a zero tolerance policy towards crime and anti-social behavior and will build loads more prisons to jail criminals. im sure this will get much support in the uk and labour's response will be interesting

story here

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
There is a long history in NI of vigilante's keeping their neighbourhoods under strict watch and administering their own form of justice, usually carried out by protestant or paramilitary members within those communities. This is not unprecendented in that part of the world and was taken to extremes, often rather brutal treatment being meted out to what were really just tearaways rather than really nasty cases.

The guy in question I have no sympathy for. I don't think this is an ideal way to restore law and order but, as I've said before, choosing between no police action and thugs running amok or vigilantes taking the law into their own hands I'll choose the latter.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ubermunche
...thugs running amok or vigilantes taking the law into their own hands

Just how confident are you that it is possible to tell the difference between these two camps?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test

Originally posted by ubermunche
...thugs running amok or vigilantes taking the law into their own hands

Just how confident are you that it is possible to tell the difference between these two camps?

One lot has an army of neo liberal commentators, social workers and judges making excuses for them.

The second lot don't.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubermuncheOne lot has an army of neo liberal commentators, social workers and judges making excuses for them.

The second lot don't.

...which must be a big comfort when they're beating half a dozen different kinds of crap out of you with baseball bats.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I tend to get more alarmed by factual events rather than speculative ones and there's enough of those factual events occuring regularly to keep me occupied for now. As it stands I'm far more likely to fall victim to a roaming chav gang than any Charles Bronson type.

I'm also far happier to live next door to a man who has to be goaded beyond the extreme before he'll lash out than some no mark who enjoys goading and lashing out because he gets some malicious thrill from it.

There is a difference bewteen the two.

But yes I concede the point that, like self medicating, it is an area that is fraught with the potential for mistakes and abuse. Which is why we need a concerted and complete overhaul in thinking of how we deal with youth disoreder, violent crime and anti-social behaviour and IMO this will involve both softly softly approaches and harsher measures.

[edit on 31-8-2007 by ubermunche]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
What's new here? From time immemorial, citizens have enforced the law amongst themselves when circumstances dictated. This could be the result of frontier justice or the collapse of effective local rule. The point is when people feel their community is not being regulated effectively by the official authority they will take matters into their own hands. Apparently, these people feel that way.
Furthermore, who is to say that "frontier" justice is less effective or more arbitrary than that effected by distant powers? I would submit that local enforcement and summary judgement is more effective due to the proximity of the event. Historically, most restrictions against such regulation are imposed by distant and unnatached powers that are soley interested in the vestment of their authority, not the betterment of the community.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
What is wrong with some of you people here?
Jeezus H Christ, you can tell you have never lived the NI experience and have little clue about it.
wake up.

This is not 'justice', it rule by brutal terror and barbarity, a regression to the dark old days, in fact.
Criminal gangs at work.
Pure and simple, nothing more and certainly nothing to be applauded.

The very paramilitary groups carrying out this 'action' are amongst the largest drugs suppliers in our society here in Northern Ireland.

Don't you know that?

The truth that those who want to applaud this kind of 'anti-law' must face is that the strongest likelyhood of what actually happened here and what they are cheering on is that those 'men' involved made an example of that guy because he sourced his drugs from people other than themselves and their paramilitary group!

The so-called 'loyalist' paramilitary gangs have been amongst the biggest drug dealers in our society for years and for people (in their ignorance of how things are here) to applaud this is actually pretty sick.

If only those so seemingly concerned with law and order gave half as much support to the Police (or actually stood up & joined up if they're that bothered) instead of joining the criminal gangs that have caused so many wrecked lives, created such grief and heartache here we'd all be better off and something worthwhile & productive would be happening.

Frankly, IMO, those applauding & congratulating this happening ought to be ashamed of themselves.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by sminkeypinkey]

Mod Note: Do Not Evade The Automatic Censors -- Please Review

[edit on 3-9-2007 by chissler]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This guy got off pretty lightly
A few years back and he would probably have been shot dead as his punishment , anyway , theres so many drug dealers swanning around the place nowadays hooking young kids onto crack coc aine etc .

The police dont always have the evidence to charge the scumbags so the hammer falls back to the paramilatries to sort it out.

I dont have any sympathy for this drug dealer , there was even a local phone poll a few days after , 9 out of 10 callers supported the action.People are fed up with the dealers in their areas especially when they seem so untouchable.

Anyway , this is what a few residents of the area said about the incident...

Yesterday what Deborah McKinstry, 27, had to say was typical of Taughmonagh residents in their attitude to the incident. 'He was not hurt. He was humiliated, and in a way he deserved it; people like that deserve humiliation. Maybe it was not the right way to go about it, but people are dealing drugs to kids and deserve to be made an example of. There have been worse punishments in the area, OK?'

Another mother on the estate, Joanne Stewart, 46, showed little sympathy. 'I know he was supposed to be dealing drugs to wee kids. Generally I don't believe in punishment beatings or anything of a violent nature, but I suppose it's a way of getting a message across.

Amy Clarke, 27, also of Taughmonagh, said Nelson got off lightly. 'I suppose he did deserve it, but was it a warning enough? It was a can of tar, cold tar and feathers.'

['That guy was the lowest of the low,' said Peter Browne. 'Nothing is being done. Kids are exposed to God knows what.'

The paramilitary groups influence on communitys is diminishing nowadays because of the political process ....even the IRAs strangle hold on the Catholic community is disappearing as this incident indicates...

Last Wednesday night, Catholic youths from Ardoyne carried out a mass, unprovoked sortie into the nearby Protestant Twaddel Avenue. During the attack they hurled petrol bombs at a Protestant house where an 18-day-old baby was sleeping. The family have since fled the street. Sinn Fein condemned the violence, but appeared powerless to stop it.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by The_Coo]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is pretty terrible. He may be a drug dealing scumbag, but are these viglantes any different? Feck sake. What happens if it was mistaken identity? Are they going to go and pat the victim on the back and say no hard feelings?

top topics

join