It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison officers in strike action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Prison officers in strike action

news.bbc.co.uk

Thousands of prison officers in England and Wales are striking in a protest over pay, the association representing them has said.

The Prison Officers' Association says the strike, which started at 0700 BST, will go on for a minimum of 24 hours. The government said the officers were acting illegally.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
150 Prisons across England and Wales are on lock down. The strike has been declared illegal by the government and will make a statement in about 30 mins.

Scotland and Northern Ireland are the only parts of the United Kingdom that are not effected by this strike.

Prisoners will not be allowed to eat, shower and even take medication because of the staff walking out. Small numbers are running the system.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Well since its illegal for the prison guards to strike they should be face what ever sentence the law lays down otherwise there is no point in having such laws. Reagan fired air traffic controllers after they illegally went on strike.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Dont Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own prison services? Also should the striking officers refuse to go back to work how would the UK secure its prisons? The Army?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I don't know much about prisons in the UK, but here the situation is ridiculous....

While Police pay has pretty much moved up with the cost of living. (Yeah yeah I know there are a lot that complain, but it's not as bad as all that)

Prison Guards make SQUAT. They are easily 25 to 40 percent below the starting salary for Police around here.

Their jobs are, if anything, MORE stressful.

I think of it this way....

Maybe 10% of the people I deal with on a daily basis are Hard Core Criminals. 100% of those they deal with are...

Semper

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   

The Ministry of Justice has won a High Court injunction to stop the illegal strike.

The POA had its right to take industrial action taken away by the Conservative government in 1993 and even if it could strike it would have to give seven days' notice before any action.

news.sky.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Dont Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own prison services? Also should the striking officers refuse to go back to work how would the UK secure its prisons? The Army?

I don't know,

the Army might have gone in and the police too.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Incident has happened at Winson Green Prison, the biggest prison in the UK.

Possible riot. The officers have come off strike and gone in to deal with the emergency.

other reports from another prison. Prisoners reportedly banging doors and smashing up cells.

That's why Prison officers should not hold illegal strikes

[edit on 29-8-2007 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Is there a skeleton crew or a bunch of scabs working at least?

It's wrong to just leave a bunch of hardened criminals on their own, even if we do ave them on lockdown.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Is there a skeleton crew or a bunch of scabs working at least?

It's wrong to just leave a bunch of hardened criminals on their own, even if we do ave them on lockdown.

Skeleton crew.

But police or the army might have to go in if the trouble continues

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
My uncle is a prison officer and he nearly lost his job when he was attacked by a prisoner and punched him to get him off, they said that he was too agresive to the prisoner, and that it was not the prisonrs fault, he has 'Problems', what a load of poop, i think that they have one of the hardest jobs in the country, they deserve more pay, and the goverment has ignored them too long, now they have to do this, i hope they get the pay rise.

Take Care, Vix

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
yeah, fair point.

But, you don't hold an illegal strike.

They are not above the law.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Just watched on BBC NEWS, the Vice-Chair of the Union representing the Prison Officers, has told the Gov to shove their injunction up the A**
The strike will continue until 7am tommorrow morning.

I think they have every right to go on strilke. When was the last time the prison officers went on strike? The Gov was warned before that this day would come. And they did not listen. Illegal or not maybe the Gov will start treating Prison Officers, Nurses etc with a little bit of respect.

I for one support the strike.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
When was the last time the prison officers went on strike?

It's illegal for them to go on strike.

Tory government passed the bill back in 1990.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

You know it may be an illegal strike and perhaps the guards when hired they signed papers to that, but making it illegal to protest is kind of making the guard work as slaves, specially if the pay is not enough to match the dangerous working conditions they encounter everyday in a prison.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
yeah, fair point.

But, you don't hold an illegal strike.

They are not above the law.

Well, couldn't they just all quit then ? It is not illegal to quit your job. Then the gov will be forced to pay them more because it will cost them double to train new people to be prison guards. This make sense to anyone?

top topics

join