It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US will never let 'friendly-fire' witnesses go to a British court

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   

US will never let 'friendly-fire' witnesses go to a British court

www.timesonline.co.uk

The families of soldiers killed by American “friendly fire” will never get to see those who may have been responsible for the deaths questioned at inquests,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
This is disgracefull.
The UK will let the US walk all over them once again.
About time to end this 'special relationship' ??

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I'm not sure about ending the relationship quite yet, however it is still disgusting if true.

It's not like a witness witholding crucial evidence for fear of thier safety, this is the US government for christs sake.

It will be interesting to see if Gordon Brown proves to be as much a lap dog as Blair was.

CX.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Yes its disgusting and a total admission of guilt.

I think the only choice left for the British is to have neon Union Flags on top of their vehicles because that might be the only way the incompetent US army stops killing them.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Maybe you fellas should start wearing red coats again...

Sorry.. I couldn't resist

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Of course, in the US legal system, when a defendant gets a summons to court, and they refuse to show, they plaintiff wins the case.

This is indeed equal to an admission of guilt, not only because US is failing to comply with soldiers' summons, but also because we have not helped with the investigation. The families of the dead soldiers at least deserve an explanation on why they are being turned down answers by the US, instead of haivng to hear any requests to speak with our soldiers is an automatic "no"

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Yes. End it now.

We don't need the United States. And, if we end the so called "special relationship", we can close their bases in the UK and send them back across the pond.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Nothing new here. 

This is the very reason the USA refused to be part of the world court - they refuse to allow their soldiers to be tried outside of the USA. For anything.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I always said that bravo two zero was on purpose. There is alot of in fighting between different groups in the military. Even a former english soldier agreed that this may of been done on purpose by the americans(i.e bravo two zero).

Friendly fire is easy to say, but its still killing people.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Hasn't this been US policy all along?
Does seem a bit one sided though.
If the boot was on the other foot would we/ have we sent soldiers to a US court in case of friendly fire by the Brits onto the Americans?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
I always said that bravo two zero was on purpose. There is alot of in fighting between different groups in the military. Even a former english soldier agreed that this may of been done on purpose by the americans(i.e bravo two zero).

Friendly fire is easy to say, but its still killing people.

Ummm...Bravo Two Zero didn't even involve the US...that was an SAS unit caught behind enemy lines by Iraqi's! So before you include the US know your facts SNIP

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 29-8-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Why are you people surprised? As I said in the other thread the US military never allows active duty military personnel to be tried by a foreign, unaccountable, court. All US military service members are subject to the UCMJ, as such we will conduct our own thorough investigation. If we find the individuals guilty we will punish them accordingly. However if they are acquitted and found not guilty, that's it, no double trail pony show on foreign courts, that opens up too many possibilities. Biased case, different standards, etc... In order to ensure equality for all soldiers only the US military is allowed to investigate and try service members. It has always been the case when it comes to the US military, get used to it... Besides, I don't see how you could possibly think that out investigation would be less thorough?

As for all the extreme centric pro European comments, just remember your past...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I could imagine a British soldier accidently killing an American!!! They would get strung up and shipped of to America that fast his feet wouldn't even touch the floor, then he'd probably have to do 50years in jail for murder

The British government would let this happen as well, look at that poor bloke that hacked Nasa and is serving 75 years in jail

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
As for all the extreme centric pro European comments, just remember your past...

So... do you mean remember the part of the past where various European Nations have allowed their soldiers to stand trial in other countries or at the Hague for crimes alleged?

Or did you mean something else?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   

You mean fighting a war against the nazi's who were funded by US bank's? and the UK loseing troop's fighting a war against the ira who were funded by american's?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

Westy,

I respect your opinion in most things but this one is a bit different. You've got the stars and stripes glasses on I'm afraid.

Americans would be royally pissed if a UK unit wiped out an American one in a "friendly fire" incident and the UK turned round and told the US investigators it wouldn't release the personnel to give evidence or appear at hearings - and you know thats true.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

The actual article wasnt suggesting originally about trying US soldiers, but simply about them giving evidence at an inquest, to clarify matters.

Some parents want to know how their sons were slaughtered by gung ho, trigger happy pilots.

I wonder though, if you can point me to any evidence for US soldiers being tried for friendly fire against UK soliders?
I would like to see it. Many thanks

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

You mean creating international courts and enforcing the rule of law? And promoting the idea that no one is above international law?

We don't whitewash in Europe, we face our crimes.

I mean, you didn't sign the ICC treaty because your "perfect" troops would be in the Hague for Abu Ghraib and Fallujah abuse.

Plus, I don't recall us trying to ignore and interrupt the Geneva Conventions

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Besides, I don't see how you could possibly think that out investigation would be less thorough?

Assuming of course, you guys actually BOTHER to investigate, rather than getting some mutt at the Pentagon to type a couple of paragraphs about S*** Happens, we all know that the likelihood of anything happening is about as likely as the Pope turning out to be a Sikh.

You mean, much of Europe being invaded by the Nazis, who were funded by American bankers? Maybe the IRA being funded by the US? Perhaps the CIA helping to facilitate major drug trafficking into Europe?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Yes it is about high time, the UK told the US where to go. Buty sadly this will not happen. The present Gov will dance to their every tune. Makes you wonder why there is so much hatred towards the US. Not its people but those in power.

The UK Gov should demand that they are handed over to testify. If not, then cut all ties even if it means we have to go with Europe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join