It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

news.yahoo.com

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I love the founding fathers adding this to the constitution. The governement has to be afriad of a country full of weapons.

I still wish people used them safely.

Btw, I wonder how many they project are "unknown?"

But 90 to every 100. Crazy.

AAC

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-8-2007 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
That is it? I would think it was higher. It must be all those New
Yorkers who can't have them that are bringing the national average down.

I always thought about 10,000 Russians parachuting into East LA back in the cold war days, they would have never made it out alive…

[edit on 28-8-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I have always said no country would ever think of invading the U.S. because of just that reason.I mean think about it if that did happen...um say the Chinese for example. You would have every redneck from here to Timbuck two taking popshots at the Chinese soldiers. They would last maybe a couple of days tops.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
This is why America is the absolute best place on Earth to be when the zombies come.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
This is why America is the absolute best place on Earth to be when the zombies come.

I don't care who you are, that right there was

AAC

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I dont think the arrival of zombies is a laughing matter. We sure will have the means to pop them off, but how long before they spread because of emotional stress causing people to get themselves infected when they cant pull the tirgger on their wife, mother or child?

You better plan really carefully for that scenario, I got an SUV now just for that possibility. Maybe yall consider it fantasy and think I watch too many movies, but I for one will not be turned in a soldier of darkness.

I am being completely serious pertaining to the literal and metaphorical onslaught of zombies.

In any case, I read the article, and it went on to say it is estimated only 12% of firearms are registered with authorities, so the figures listed I do believe accoutn for the unknowns and undocumented.

[edit on 8/29/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
So I'm not the only one with a zombie plan it seems. Mine consists of rounding up some loved one's and heading about an hour southwest of where I'm at to lay low out in the country doing work for local farmers to earn food and shelter.

But back on to the article, I was interested in what it says about African and South American nations not having as many guns. My bet is that the lack of firearms means that only revolutionaries and drug lords are able to obtain them, thus making their oppression much easier. Plus I guess when the guns are always pointed at the local citizens it makes it look like there's a lot more guns than a nation that tends to keep them in gun safes.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
And right back to Zombies.... Seriously, I think those are great odds should the un-dead wish to Bring IT! On a side note. I have to agree with AAC, I'm glad that US citizens are armed to the teeth, I just wish we were A LOT MORE responsible with arms. I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I love my country and love how were ready to kick some foreign ass!

Ill take the time to thank my grandparents for letting me unload on the Hillside when I was just a boy.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I have always said no country would ever think of invading the U.S. because of just that reason.I mean think about it if that did happen...um say the Chinese for example. You would have every redneck from here to Timbuck two taking popshots at the Chinese soldiers. They would last maybe a couple of days tops.

In such a scenario, assuming the military was neutralized/could'nt get there,
the Chinese would win.

Not only do they have four times more people than there are in the continental
(excluding Alaska) United States, not everyone would fight, there would be those who
would leave, because lets face it, if people wanted to fight in a war zone they would
join the military, but also there would be those who joined the Chinese side for
whatever reason.

Anyways, as to the article itself, as much as I may believe in weapons ownership
within reason, like not allowing crazy people to have them, and licensing them,
I still find this disturbing.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
So Chinese can walk on water? Don't think so... Anyway, at least we are number one in something.
Happy to say I'm picking up the slack by being a proud owner of two firearms with hopefully many more in the way...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
So Chinese can walk on water?

Hence why I said without our own military intervention.

Of course we would win with our military, in fact we could win with just our military,
but for the scenario the person laid out, I was just saying.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
At least Finland is near the top in some surveys... 3rd in per capita statistic, and yet we have a quite low firearm crime rate...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by iori_komei

I dont think so.

You think the Iraq insurgency is effective, just wait till buba dusts off the old shotgun. Americans are prideful. We would fight so hard, especially against China, that they wouldn’t be able to stay.

Remember too that we also have lots of body armor and that every American family owns two cars and 3 televisions. Determination, mobility, armor, communication, lethality. I think we have it covered.

Besides, all of us combat hardened ex-soldiers who saw first hand how to run an insurgency in Iraq would be a huge asset.

And we could always just turn Mike Vick's dogs on the chinese.

They wouldn’t stand a chance.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
In such a scenario, assuming the military was neutralized/could'nt get there,
the Chinese would win.

Like what was already said. It would be like Iraq, but much, much, much worse. And far more organized.
It would be nearly impossible.

Not only do they have four times more people than there are in the continental
(excluding Alaska) United States, not everyone would fight, there would be those who
would leave, because lets face it, if people wanted to fight in a war zone they would
join the military, but also there would be those who joined the Chinese side for
whatever reason.

The citizens would all be drafted into the militia. Every able-bodied male would make up either a component of the armed forces or the militia. I believe that the vast majority of citizens would fight this threat.

If people wanted to fight in a war zone, they might consider the military. If they want to defend their home, all their need is their own two hands - and maybe the shotgun in the shed, if they have it.

Don't call me, don't call my family, don't call my friends such cowards again. I would do everything to defend my home, and I'm confident that nearly everyone I associate with would as well. Just because I don't feel that it's necessary for me to fight in the Army right now doesn't mean that I wouldn't defend my country, my home, and my family.
That arrogant, idiotic statement is not only ignorant, but also highly insulting to those who, unlike you, would risk their lives defending their land and those they care about. You owe your freedom to those who came before you and did the same; I advise you to retract such a statement and think before uttering such a thing again.

Anyways, as to the article itself, as much as I may believe in weapons ownership
within reason, like not allowing crazy people to have them, and licensing them,
I still find this disturbing.

I think it's hilarious that someone would fear gun ownership like that. Well, hilarious and a little sad.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
reply to post by iori_komei

I dont think so.

You think the Iraq insurgency is effective, just wait till buba dusts off the old shotgun. Americans are prideful. We would fight so hard, especially against China, that they wouldn’t be able to stay.

wouldnt that make you terrorists? if you resist occupation
and americans dont like terrorists

also on topic is this the main reason death by guns in the US is equivilent to 3x9/11 a year?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
The citizens would all be drafted into the militia.

Perhaps, but if it was LA, well you'd have already formed militias existent in the form
of gangs and such.

Every able-bodied male would make up either a component of the armed forces or the militia. I believe that the vast majority of citizens would fight this threat.

I doubt the Hollywooders and rich would.

Don't call me, don't call my family, don't call my friends such cowards again.

First of all never, ever try to tell me to do something.

Second I did'nt say you, your family, friends or anyone you know.

It's Los Angeles, there are going to be at least a large minority of people who would'nt
fight or, in the case of some Chinese, join the other side.

I would do everything to defend my home, and I'm confident that nearly everyone I associate with would as well.

That's all great and dandy, but I was'nt talking about you.

That arrogant, idiotic statement is not only ignorant, but also highly insulting to those who, unlike you, would risk their lives defending their land and those they care about.

Land is irrelevant to me, but don't think once I would'nt defend those I care about
or the tenants of Democracy and Freedom with my life.

You owe your freedom to those who came before you and did the same; I advise you to retract such a statement and think before uttering such a thing again.

I owe my freedom to those who fought in the Revolutionary and Civil wars.

And I'm not going to retract anything, just because you are acting like a two year
old about it.

I think it's hilarious that someone would fear gun ownership like that. Well, hilarious and a little sad.

I did'nt say I feared gun ownership, get your facts straight and don't try to put words
in my mouth.

What I find disturbing is that that many people actually think there is something
that they need to own a gun to defend themselves against.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   
They always say that they need guns and it stops crimes, but is that really so. Your country is crime ridden, but how can people say it stops crimes. Just look at the stats of violent crimes in your country.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   

What I find disturbing is that that many people actually think there is something to defend themselves against.

I dont, I think every single citizen over 16 years of age (males and females) should be familiar with the use and care of firearms. And their is something to defend against; invasion and tyranny. An armed populace is much better at keeping them government in check then anything else.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join