It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some Help please!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
as of late, my computer has been acting up. i have suffered, and continue to suffer large amounts of pop-ups whenever i get onto the internet explorer. i sometimes find that there are pop-ups whenever i am not even online. i have tried everything. new spyware, pop-up, and virus protection, i have even tried blocking the websites that pop-up, as they are usually the same ones. none of this has worked. can any of you guys help me with this? help is greatly appreciated. :bnghd:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Are you using Windows as your operating system? If so, reboot and start Windows in Safe Mode (F8). Then scan for virus and spyware, etc.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
thanks Hellmutt, ill try that.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   
you might also try switching to FireFox as your browser........it might still be prone to pop-ups but hey, I can't imagine anyone still using IE when a browser as good as FireFox is around.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
I can't imagine anyone still using IE when a browser as good as FireFox is around.

I am with BT on this one! I only use Firefox and use IE on our intranet because we have stuff that won't run in IE - seems to do a check and gives an error. But none the less, i ONLY use Firefox on the laptop and my home PC. I won't go back to IE.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Actually, IE7 has better security than FireFox. However, the latest version of FF, if decked out with the right add-ons like Adblock, Filterset.G and NoScript would kick IE7's butt any day.

wisefoolishness:

If your virus scanner has a boot-time scan option, that would be better than the safe mode option since some bugs tend to go "stealth" if the Windows GUI (Graphical User Interface) is on.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
i have downloaded firefox, and it wont work.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Download hijackthis, use this tutorial. Post the logfile to this automated service to help discover the pop up problem.

Best of Luck
makeitso

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

ok
ive done this. ive deleted all of the "nasty files".
the pop up probem persists.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Dont dispair.

Hijack this was just a first step. There are several other spywares that can do this with methods that even the great and powerful hijackthis can't fix. Taking over your winsock for example.

Perhaps you should review this thread courtesy of Chissler.
Virus, Spyware.. Need Help? Here it is

Let us know if you still need help after that.

Best of Luck
makeitso

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
I am with BT on this one! I only use Firefox and use IE on our intranet because we have stuff that won't run in IE - seems to do a check and gives an error. But none the less, i ONLY use Firefox on the laptop and my home PC. I won't go back to IE.

Shearder : Check out this post on Firefox addons, it will solve your IE dilemma.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

brill

[edit on 3-9-2007 by brill]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I run into this problem with customer computers constantly. First thing, uninstall all toolbars but 1, preferrably google or yahoo, from the "add remove programs" tab in the control panel. Then go to IE and open "manage addons" from the tools tab. Disable all but 1 toolbar, java, shockwave. You can also, if you are using IE7, under internet options/advanced, completely reset IE to original specs.
You can also open IE, hit "Ctrl-Alt-Del" to bring up the task manager, and see what processes are using cpu and memory when the popups occur, thus finding what programs need to be uninstalled or deleted.
Hope this helps.

new topics

top topics

join