It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report Finds U.S. Most Armed Country

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   

The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

India, China, Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

SOURCE:
news.Yahoo.com

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this.
While I do believe in weapon rights, this is sort of disturbing, though not very surprising.

It was interesting though that France, often the butt of of pro-war/anti-negotiation
jokes came in 5th in the world.

There were other interesting facts that I had to leave out for article length reasons to,
namely being that Finland and Switzerland come in 3rd and fourth place with 56
and 46 per 100 guns owned respectively.

I think the only thing that made me smile about this was the irony of the name of
this survey, that being 'Small Arms Survey', considering its results.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hell the way things are going..

They should have a law where every man, woman, and child.. even pet should have a min of 2 weapons.. a small arm and a BIG ONE.. I mean a REALLY big one...

[edit on 8/28/2007 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I agree every American citizen in this nation needs to arm him or herself as by constitutional rights.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
That would violate Human rights, as many people in the world do not own a weapon
out of choice, which is reflected in the countries with civilian gun bans that have highly
Democratic systems of government.

And there are Americans, myself included that don't see the point in owning a weapon,
since we don't see conspiracies in everything.

In the Middle-Eastern countries, being Afghanistan, Iraq and Yemen I can see the reason,
especially the first two, but I think in America it's a mixture of culture and our not changing
our government type to a form we actually trust more than we do.
Of course time and situations do influence that to.

[edit on 8/28/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
And there are Americans, myself included that don't see the point in owning a weapon,
since we don't see conspiracies in everything.

What is wrong wit you...

I tell you what.. I hate guns.. really I do..... But you know what..

The only reason bush isn't sending people off to camps is because of the right to bear arms..

I bet you one thing tho.. Let another terror attack happen... Watch.. you are going to thank god or whoever the hell you pray to that our forfathers gave us that right to bear arms..

Cause you know what. Look back at my past posts.. there is a video about how Fox news is spinning the same crap they did during the Iraq mess up..

You know WMD, working with Al Qaeda, and all that stuff...

And yes, everything is a conspiracy until other wise proven not to be..

Just like religion and just like politics.. all a big ass conspiracy..

Here to save you time look at this post here..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8/28/2007 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
My side is winning!

Keep'em cocked and lock boys and girls. Oh yeah, be ready to rock!

Roper

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Dang right we are and im proud to say it. Any other country wanna come over here and invade and fight? Bring it. You think our military has guns, well so does EVERYONE. You come run up over here and we'll show ya an armed country of 200,000,000 plus. Bring it!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by iori_komei

The beauty of our constitution, it ensure that if I want a gun because my constitution backs me up I will have it, but you have a choice of not having one, due to your personal, religious or other believes, Iori.

CX

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Whilst i'm not a fan of so many people having weapons, because there are a lot of idiots who should'nt be allowed within a mile of a gun......this article did make me chuckle when i thought how hard it will be to impliment martial law when there are that many armed americans over there!

Best of luck Mr Bush......i think you'll need it!

CX.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I wonder about those numbers, do they reflect weapons owned by the military/government? If so those numbers do not reflect an overly armed population.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Those are numbers for citizens not the military. I can speak for being in the South. Everyone i kow has a gun...most people have multiple guns. A lot of folks even make their own bullets.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
With the majority of America being as brain washed as it is, I would be surprised if even half of the nation put up a fight when Bush imposes martial law, b/c more than likely he'll have most of them believing that it's for their own protection. Even w/ Bush's popularity plummeting like it is, a lot of people still think he is the greatest President ever (scary huh?
).

[edit on 30-8-2007 by Saturn]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saturn
With the majority of America being as brain washed as it is, I would be surprised if even half of the nation put up a fight when Bush imposes martial law, b/c more than likely he'll have most of them believing that it's for their own protection. Even w/ Bush's popularity plummeting like it is, a lot of people still think he is the greatest President ever (scary huh?
).

There are 80 to 100 million gun owners in the USA.
That is one hell of a army.

Roper

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I dont think most folks here are worried about fighting our own government. I think we would take action if another country decided to come here and invade or if it ever gets to the point that we feel like we need to exterminate the Radical Muslims in this country and our government doesnt do anything about it and we would have to take it into our own hands.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
90 weapons for every 100 people?

How can we get arms to the other 10?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
90 weapons for every 100 people?

How can we get arms to the other 10?

Take a non-shooter shooting.

Roper

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
2 rifles, 1 shotgun, 2 bows. My house isn't armed well, but it's armed.

Those stats include many hunters. In Wisconsin, during the gun deer season, the forests turn from green to blaze orange. Then include the ranchers in states like Wyoming and Montana. Then add on the private weapon collectors, the professional shooters, law enforcement agents. Top that off with the illegally obtained weapons on the streets of most major cities, and you've got a whole lot of guns. Those stats however, I think are inaccurate. 9 out of 10 people are not armed. However, those who are armed have done so well enough to arm 9 of 10 people in the U.S. if the were to hand out their weapons.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I think that every person in the US should be thought how to shoot a gun if not by their family then take some sort of shooting class. There is one offered by the NYS DEC Police however it is more geared towards firearms safety for hunters.

I also believe that every single mentally stable person that has not been convicted of a felony should be required to own at least one firearm after their 16th birthday. I like the idea of what Switzerland does with every person undergoing military training and being issued a rifle for life.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I feel bad for anyone who comes into this country and wants to take it to a street fight LOL. You see what our troops are facing in Iraq? Well just imagine what would happen if another country came here....(and we aint Iraq-we have WAY more stuff, and the country invading wouldnt be the US since, duh, we're in the US.) Good God. Ive heard all the Russian invasion scenarious. Bring those punks on!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
2-shot guns, 2-.22 cal. rifles, 1-.556 rifle, 1-9mm carbine, 1-9mm pistol, 2-.22 pistols, 1-40cal. pistol, 1-.357mag pistol. This is just in case the neighbors come up a little short in an emergency.

It's like the old Boy Scout marching song, "Be Prepared"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join