It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terminator is here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Check out this robot and other very interesting videos.

www.festo.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Ok major Terminator phobia here.Gotta go build me a hydraulic press.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Great vid, but something puzzles me.

Robotic arms have been in existence for many years, typically seen in automobile building. They make very precise movements.

Why would a modern arm not be able to draw a 'perfect' 100 point Arial font 'H E L L O', including a perfect circle or oval for the O?

Maybe there was some kind of AI program which required teaching the arm to write cursive, IDK, but it seemed strange.

At first I thought it was done that way to make the 'arm' appear more 'lovable', engendering feelings one might have to a child...but that seems a bit silly since it's only an 'arm'.

Thanks for posting that.

apc

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yeah... only hands are lovable.

Well, I suppose... er... nevermind.

Pretty cool. Twiddling my thumbs trying to get the PDF to load.

I wonder if they're a contender for the DARPA replacement-arm project.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Very kewl! thanks for posting that video

One question tho. Is that a video of the real arm? Or just CGI version of the robot arm.. I couldnt help but notice the CGI feel to the robot arm and the ground underneath it..

Either way its still pretty kewl.. Yet they have a long ways to go for that to be any kind of threat to man. Something that touchy gets out of line, looks like its very touchy and would break really easy..

I bet a 3 year old kid, given 5 mins alone would bust it up pretty bad.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It seems to be some new technology utilizing a material that changes shape under air pressure.

If you look at the "bicep" in the video it contracts when air pressure is added and relaxes when taken away.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Cool robotics.

Just as long as they don't make the head look like a skull and give it a learning microprocessor made by Cyberdyne Systems, I think we will be OK.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Im freaked out now ........ First i find out the the UK military have SKYNET (check out link en.wikipedia.org... )!!! now i find out that there is a robotic arm thats kinda like the terminators

..... thats it ..... im going to run for cover ....

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
Very kewl! thanks for posting that video

One question tho. Is that a video of the real arm? Or just CGI version of the robot arm.. I couldnt help but notice the CGI feel to the robot arm and the ground underneath it..

I think its real.
Looks like it has no AI though and is pre-programmed or manually controlled. It is basically a demo of their pneumatic muscle system. Check out that aqua-ray video, it looks like a real fish and swims like a real fish.
A realistic humanoid is not really far away

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
there is another thread about the declassification of soem documents about luanr stuff, but one of the documents mentions that the US i belive, are creating cyborg soilders for the fore seeable future, 2011 i believ they were hoping for these to be up and running, the topic im talkign about is in the boards hot topics, i think. any way good post rocksolidbrain.

Take care, Vix

this is my edit.

if you look at the top file on that site you'll se the DOD's idea of a cyborg type solider.

stinet.dtic.mil...

[edit on 29-8-2007 by Vixion]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rocksolidbrain

Actually I think it does have some AI programmed in. Look at the way it writes using 'block cursive' on the board. This is about the way a 5 or 6 year old child might write.

A robotic arm which is pre-programmed would be able to write perfect letters. This suggests to me that it was using software that could be 'trained' to write and possibly improve with practice.

Just a thought. Did you look around and see the silver Manta and the hovership? Cool!

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vixion

Super find. That's a very interesting site.

Here's a paper I found that might be related, but mainly it goes over one soldier's experience with hypnosis.

(.pdf, Foxit or Acrobat req)

stinet.dtic.mil...

If that link doesn't work, search on 'parapsychology' and look at the first reference.

Again, good job on the cyborg research, V.

new topics

top topics

join