It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US 'seizes Iranian group in Iraq'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

US 'seizes Iranian group in Iraq'

news.bbc.co.uk

Seven Iranians working for the Iranian Electricity Ministry have been arrested by US forces in Baghdad, the Iranian embassy says.

A spokesman told the BBC the embassy had contacted the Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs and would send a formal protest letter in the morning.

He said the Iranians were in Baghdad in connection with the building of a power station.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Remember this? UK troops captured by Iran

Everybody who was ranting and raving that Iran better release them "or else" better not come onto this thread and be a bunch of hypocrites.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Everybody who was ranting and raving that Iran better release them "or else" better not come onto this thread and be a bunch of hypocrites.

I seem to remember a little dispute about just what country those UK troops were in.

I don’t think anyone is going to dispute what county Baghdad is in.

It isn’t the same thing at all.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It would be nice to know what reason is behind detaining them.(other than claiming they are there helping insurgents)

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Can anyone tell us how many Iranians are in Iraq?

Do they get arrested just for being Iranian or do they have to actually do something?

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

That's a good question. I think it would be rather rude to arrest someone in Iraq just because they are Iranian. To me that would be the same as us here in the States arresting people just because they are Muslim or of Arabian descent. Now if it turns out that these seven are not there to build a power station but are in fact there to help insurgents then keep them in custody. If they are there as claimed(for power station) then they need to be released asap.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This comes right after Bush's announcement that he has ordered commanders in Iraq to 'take action' against Iranians who are 'aiding' insurgents.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
In truth anyone who thinks Iran is not dabbling in Iraq is a little slow.

Iraq is destabilising before our eyes, all 'interested' parties are positioning themselves to move - it would not suprise me if several thousand Iranian military personnel 'advisors' are not currently in Iraq - not in uniform of course.

And they are not there for a holiday - they are making things worse any way they can - from Irans point of view it makes sense, not too much too lose much too gain. So I have no sympathy for suspected Iranian operatives.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Being how the brits were in Iraqi waters at the time of capture, I dont see how this is of any great relevance, especially given all the damning evidence of Iranian finger prints all over Iraq (supplying terrorists with weapons and tactics to fight coalition troops).

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

I can understand the tone of this post given how poorly the Iraqi war was ran. However I was looking for an outbreak between Iran and Iraq while I was there in 2004. Iran is not building its military for peace. The Iranians often have “pilgrimages” through areas of Iraq. Camel caravans also deliver trade including weapons over that border. If you were aware of the at least five cases of sabotage in US power plants back in the 70’s through the 80’s you could figure out why the Iranians would want to be in a power plant in Baghdad. Particularly since they and others have been so active in curtailing power in Iraq. They (Iranians) were sending young supporters of various national origins over to Iraq trained as Engineers according to Military Intelligence while I was there. They could have a few hundred walk over the Mexican boarder into the US any day of the week and stay dormant for years. I will lay money down on anyone that thinks they can tell an Iranian from a Mexican or South American. For all you save the illegal aliens out there look into that parasite that is now 10 times more prevalent in the LA blood supply than aids. It feeds on the human heart. We need strong boarders and to check any aliens for health concerns. Separate soap box please forgive me. Back to the subject:
I am dead set against setting as occupiers in Iraq. Attacking the richest drug supplying country – Afghanistan (93% of world Opiate trade) and the potentially richest oil reserves – Iraq (only 3% drilled). It is obvious to me the US plan is to take all the money they can. They being the CEO’s of contractor companies, Military connections and politicians. Oh and of course the pharmaceutical companies shoving drugs on the disabled vets if they ever get injured bad enough to stay home.
I suggest the US supplies a Thorium fueled reactor to Iran. No weapons grade product from that fuel cycle. Then we will all see how peaces loving the Iranian leaders are.
Although I am absolutely for taking our own country, the US, back first.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Obviously Iran is meddling in Iraq.
but c'mon, isnt America also?

these Iranians probably were helping, aiding or what not the insurgency.
thats a no brainer.

but the United States does not have a leg to stand on, becauase we invaded and occupied, thats far far worse than aiding and helping a freedom movement.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Tell me about it, Iran and Iraq shared a common link with the Shiites tribal group.

They are next to each other and at one point in time it was not borders between them.

Meanwhile our nation got across an ocean to invade a Iraq a nation that has not ties what so ever with us and is responsible for the instability and death that our invasion and occupation has caused within their civilian population.

Actually our nation has made possible that the liberated Iraqi Shiites reunite with their fellow Iranian Shiites once again.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
CNN is saying that the Iranians were there at the invitation of the Iraqi government to negotiate an electricity supply contract.

Someone seems to want to keep Iran from helping Iraq out - or to make sure that an American company gets the contract.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
What just happened here? now on bbc they said that they returned the Iranian soldiers?

that was real quick.
I saw this new this afternoon and they i guess already returned them, unless that news link changes again by the time i post this

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod
In truth anyone who thinks Iran is not dabbling in Iraq is a little slow.

In truth anyone who thinks the USA didn't illegally invade Iraq to provide a staging ground to further invade Iran is a little slow. Also, anyone who didn't expect Iranian factions to capitalise on the opportunity of a destabilised Iraq is even slower. Finally, anyone who thinks the Iranian leader isn't a pawn of western intel is the slowest of all.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Yeah, but Iraq is OUR illegitimate war.

If Iran wants to meddle, they need to invade their own defenseless country!

We were there first.

They had their chance back in the 80s

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Gools

What I find worrisome is that New Zealand's CNN site is headlining the arrest of the Iranians.

Before typing in CNN's URL, I thought that it only matters _after the fact_ if CNN reports it (imagining that there's a branch of US governmental Greebees who make the call; If a Greebee with enough Pentagonial clout makes the call to Turner or that dork at Fox or whatever, THEN they'll print it expediciously--otherwise, it'll be the usual three-and-a-half-days-later BS).

So, I'm wondering if this story actually matters (that is, if it matters as in requiring propaganda enough to swir the world's English-speaking masses into sympathy for probably US action).

Uncle Fug

[edit on 29/8/07 by Fuggle]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Like chinabean said,they have apparently released the Iranians-

"US forces have released seven Iranians who were detained in a swoop on a hotel in Baghdad, Iraqi officials say.

The men were seized overnight from one of the main hotels in the capital and led away blindfolded and in handcuffs. "

news.bbc.co.uk...

Maybe they were electricians after all.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk

eh, there is no comarison.

These Iranians were in Baghdad. The British sailors were in Iraqi waters on a UN mandated missions

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Yeah, but Iraq is OUR illegitimate war.

If Iran wants to meddle, they need to invade their own defenseless country!

We were there first.

They had their chance back in the 80s

Well thats an interesting point.

If the US wasn't in Iraq, Iran may well be there instead.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join