It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buried alive in your own skull

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Could so many people who were labeled 'vegetables' in fact just can't be 'heard'?

Using a Magnetic Imaging Scanner that can track blood flow, this hospital found out the woman mentioned in the article is in fact aware and thinking, despite not being able to communicate.

Once they put her in an MRI, they were able to see her thoughts. Outside the MRI, they couldn't.

Could you imagine what that is like? being aware of what's going on but not being able to communicate? Watching and hearing all these people talk and decide on your behalf, while you observe everything... wow, that must be frightening.

Somebody's talking. You try to open your eyes, but nothing happens. You can't move or feel anything. In the murmurs around you, you make out a few words: prognosis, unresponsive, permanent. They keep talking about somebody who's here, somebody who never speaks and is never spoken to.

A child cries. You've heard that cry before. Out of the blackness, the thought comes at you, engulfing you: The unspeaking person is you. You're dead. And then a more horrible idea: Maybe you're not.

You try to call out, to scream. No one knows you're here, awake inside your skull. No one will ever know.

Source

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I have heard about this before and it is a scary thought. Absolutely nothing you could do about it. I just pray I never end up in that situation

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Quintar, fantastic post !!

How hard is it for us at the moment to decide who is and is not capable of meaningful communication or even recovery after serious brain injury.

IMO, we need to have a far more flexible set of criteria when it comes to deciding who gets ongoing care after brain injury, and who has their life support systems turned off..

My qualifier here is I'm largely referring to Australia, I've seen several cases the last couple years who have made me go "Huh ???!!! Why are we giving up on this person ? "

Perhaps its different in other parts of the world, anyhow, a fine post by the OP, and hopefully we can get some good views on this difficult issue, perhaps even some from experts in this field

Peace all

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
For those want to see what it's like, I remember this video doing a pretty good job:

Metallica's One

I believe it's based on a book called 'Johnny's got his gun'.

Here's another article about another person recovering from 'being a vegetable'

A vegetative state is far more serious than a coma -- patients have reflexes, but there is no indication they are in any way conscious. Patients in a persistent vegetative state, lasting for more than two years, have virtually no hope of recovery.

But because reflexes can be misleading, doctors often struggle to categorize and diagnose such patients.

Using functional magnetic resonance imaging to look at the brain's real-time activity, Owen's team asked the woman to imagine she was playing tennis or walking through her home. To their surprise, her brain lit up, showing activity in all the sites that be would expected.

Her scans showed brain activity nearly identical to that of healthy people asked to perform the same task, Owen and colleagues report in the Archives of Neurology.

Source

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
On a similar note, one of the 'dirty little secrets' of Surgery is that some people are sort of 'immune' to anesthesia.

So when they put someone out, they not only use the knockout gas or injection, they also paralyze them using a curare type drug so they don't move around. That's why people are 'intubated' during surgery - being paralyzed, they have to have a machine breathe for them.

So what happens is the person is fully awake, but can't move and can't call out. It's called 'anesthesia failure', or anesthesia awareness. Quaint term, eh?

At first guess what the medical profession did to deal with this? They started using a drug which removes your short term memory (i.e. you were traumatized, but you don't remember it). Thus people who had the failure would not remember it. Despite this, some people are apparently not as susceptible to the memory block or erasure and they experience a horrid event fully awake.

Think it's rare? It is, but due to the number of surgeries done in the US alone, it's thought that 20,000 to 40,000 patients experience this to some degree. Uh, that's 'per year'.

new topics

top topics

join