It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Smokers' Rights: Plus a few questions for my fellow addicts.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
I may not smoke, find it on the gross side, but I'm all for rights of smokers. Just like alcohols rising prices, it's all about making money, not trying to get smokers to stop. You can't even smoke in parks in California and in most states, public places like bars and clubs, which most likely caused a lot of money loss to these places. Of course it's not safe to have cigs lighting parks on fires and club smoke almost choking a non smoker, but what about the freedom?

I have no problem with freedom. Hell, I don't even have a problem with cigarettes...they don't bother me. What I have a problem with are inconsiderate smokers. If you wanna smell like filth...or maybe you think it smells like flowers, I dont know....but that's your business. I don't mind if you wanna smell like filth, just don't have me smelling like filth with you.

It's not like freedom of speech...or freedom in general where you can choose not to listen to what you're hearing(Well, in most cases you have a choice), or rather...where you can choose to eavesdrop...it's more like people shouting and whether you want to or not, you'll hear them...except it makes you smell in a way you prefer not to smell.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I use Samson blue. It saves a ton of money over buying Marlboros nowadays.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sdrawkcab

It's not at all childish since there are many more drivers than smokers these days. Plus, it's a pretty fair comparison since there are actually cities where the exhaust from cars creates a constant fog (IE: Smog) that you have to smell and breathe no matter where you are.

As a side note, those of you that say you have to "constantly" deal with smokers and such, please tell me where you live so I can move there. I hardly ever see a smoker outside around here anymore because of all the people that bitch about it just before they get drunk and drive their suburban all over town.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I use Samson blue. It saves a ton of money over buying Marlboros nowadays.

I've never tried Samson blue, never even heard of it actually. Hook me up with a pouch hahahah

Jasn

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I get totally offended by the smell of these Obese non smokers that are wolfing food down in restaurants that have not showered in days, I smoke and it's supposed to dull the sense of smell but I can smell them from 20 feet away, it makes me gag, and it seems MORE common nowadays then ever before, I can't seem to get away from the unwashed masses anymore, I do not like the smell of cigarettes at all if I am not smoking, I do smoke, at home, not at work even though we can, I do smoke walking to the store with my wife cause everyone DRIVES....
if it's the smell you are worried about WASH yourself and quit smelling like ass

I think the cigarette tax is a lot like the On line predator campaign, it's to "save the children" even when it's a non event, but it sure makes people feel good and nothing is really done. I think to save the children Parents should be jailed if their kids gets abducted/assaulted by pedophiles, Obviously they weren't doing their jobs after all it's to save the children

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I smoked for 13 years until having a cholesteral related heart attack 3 years ago. Quit cold turkey over the three days I was in the hospital. I knew it was dragging me down before that, sick more, get winded too easy, but I thought I enjoyed it too. Now I dont miss it at all. I dont mind the smell of tobacco burning but I dont like to be trapped in an enclosed space with it.

Before I quit I had switched to rolling my own with the ZigZag brand tobbaco. At the time it worked out to about 20 bucks for a cartons worth of cigs. I ran into a couple really nasty tasting tins, but generally the quality was good.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

I have no problem with smokers or their desire to pollute their bodies with toxic chemicals, however, you just compared the heath issues of smoking to the health issues of EATING JUNKFOOD and Drinking. Last time i checked, I couldn't get cancer from a person sitting next to me eating junk food or drinking.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chaimbolice7

according to many people, you can't get it from sitting next to someone smoking either.

but hey, that's just according to some. About the same amount of "somes" that say you can get it that way.

And the whole thing with second hand alcohol related health problems...you are correct....but that drunk driver tends to kill you much more quickly.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Mind if I smoke?

**Lights up and inhales deeply... :Q ahhhhh**

Great topic here! A lot of great replies as well! And to those who replied with the inevitable sermons, remove the log from your own eye before attempting to pluck the tiny stick from someone else's. Or something to that effect. heh.

Dunno what the heck is behind the massive movement worldwide to ensure that we 'evil-doers' quit our disgusting habit of smoking. Not sure who the heck I'm hurting by lighting up inside my own home where I live by myself and bother no one. Or smoking inside a vehicle by myself for that matter. Am certain that someone else driving down the road would be in FAR more danger from the driver near us who has a few drinks under their belt than from me puffing on my cig as we drive along.

At first it was *them* advising *us* to quit smoking for our health. Ok, thank you very much, I live in a free country, and get to make my own choices, and I choose to smoke. Don't have any other vices, I smoke cuz it de-stresses me. So although I appreciated the concern for my health, I trusted myself to do what was best -- for me. As we know it didn't end there, because that wasn't enough for *them*. There was/is some unknown agenda to MAKE those of us who didn't/wouldn't choose to follow their "advice" quit. Guess they figured if they shot the taxation on cigs up 500% and up, that might change our minds. Uh huh. Yeah right. Just switched to a less expensive brand, but nice try. And when the tax went thru the roof, I switched to "little cigars" instead of cigs. Currently pay $9.99 a carton.
When *they* figure this out and start taxing the little cigars too, then I'll just visit the local indian reservation who make some mighty fine smokes. If that doesn't work then I'll probably just cut down on the amount that I smoke! That, or dust off the old mug someone gave me that reads, "Gave up drinking, gave up smoking, gave up s*x -- bury me!"

I absolutely agree with others in here that it's turned into an all-out vicious attack on smokers, which has gone to ridiculous lengths! Smokers here in the states have actually been ticketed for smoking too close to buildings, etc., with that new law being very enforced. All the while adults are welcome to stop at liquor stores and bars, etc., drink to their hearts desire, then climb into their car and do what????? break the law and drive while intoxicated, either to the next bar or elsewhere. Hopefully not killing someone on the road in the process. Do we see the law against driving drunk being so ferociously enforced? Do we see such an outrageous tax on alcohol? Do we see laws being made against people drinking alcohol, even in their homes? Do we see folks in our towns reacting with such venom to those who choose to drink and drive? Nope. Nope. Nope. and........ Nope.

Shaking head. I just don't get it!

And it's totally TRUE what was mentioned earlier in this thread -- for now it's smoking, but which of our *rights* will be taken away next? People who have jumped on the anti-smokers bandwagon with such gusto, might just want to take a good look around them, cuz the next unfair hysterical insane anti-movement might just remove a *right* near and dear to them. The right to bear arms for example... The right to free speech... There's two of our rights heading for the outhouse.

But I digress...

**puffing on my little cigar... while I still can!**

NOMW

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Why didn't you just say, "You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny." About the same attitude. THIS is what drives smokers nuts. We don't mind going outside, observing the rights of nonsmokers BUT this attitude makes us want to forget about those rights.

Hear hear! Very well said!

NOMW

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
I get totally offended by the smell of these Obese non smokers that are wolfing food down in restaurants that have not showered in days, I smoke and it's supposed to dull the sense of smell but I can smell them from 20 feet away, it makes me gag, and it seems MORE common nowadays then ever before, I can't seem to get away from the unwashed masses anymore, I do not like the smell of cigarettes at all if I am not smoking, I do smoke, at home, not at work even though we can, I do smoke walking to the store with my wife cause everyone DRIVES....
if it's the smell you are worried about WASH yourself and quit smelling like ass

Now THAT has made my day....

Brilliant.

What worries me is how the Government have implemented this no smoking ban in the middle of summer, so roll on Winter time and I think the smokers won't be dying of cancer, but of hypothermia....

Also the comment about how it being a form of racism when the anti-smoking briagde decides to target the smokers, due to the colour of their lungs.... genius.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati

I went to a non-smoking party once . Man, talk about deadly aroma cocktail.

There were lovely girls there but they smelled like azz. (beer swet+perfumes)

I imediately remembered Phoebe's song from Friends:

Smelly cat, smelly cat,
why are they feeding you...

Here's an interesting link

Linky
With the recent legislation prohibiting smoking in pubs in England, your favorite British pub will no longer smell like smoke. The problem, however, is that it might smell a whole lot worse.

[edit on 29-8-2007 by yanchek]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I used to smoke about 4 cigarettes per day. 2 before work, 1 at dinnertime and 1 after work. These "cigarette smoking periods" were ritualistic. I was punctual, and always found a quiet, empty spot in which to huddle and smoke. In the end I realised it was the "ritual" I enjoyed and not the cigarette. So I packed them in. Now I prefer a short stroll.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadow_soldier1975
you have NO right to smoke...NONE....so stop crying about it......

Actually we do have a right to smoke as long as it is a legally available product, endorsed by the government through revenue raising.

You have no right to be a jerk but it hasnt stopped you.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I don't see where bringing in car exhaust into the discussion is being childish. I can't remember the last time I got into a taxi that didn't have no smoking signs all over it. I can't smoke in the grocery store, in many of the resturants, in government buildings, there's alot of places that non-smokers can go and be free from shs.....

a parent can't even send their child down to the bus stop without them having to deal with a hundred or more cars passing them, each blowing off the equilivalent of a few cartons of cigarettes or more probably...that that child then ends up breathing!

shs is the scapegoat, because, although we all want to be healthy, and we all want to have clean air, none of want to make the sacrifices needed to have it..
do you really think that having clean indoor air is gonna be that helpful if our outdoor environment is so danged pulluted no one can survive? to me, this is what they are saying, we give up on having clean air outside, we'll just settle for having our indoor air clean....and well, be imprisoned within our walls I guess.

poppycock!!
I keep having people tell me how I should be drinking more water...well guess what folks...I am allergic to chlorine!! the danged drinking water isn't too good for me, can't avoid drinking it I know, but well, if I am gonna be making myself sick anyways, well, pass me the pepsi, at least I can enjoy it!! and that is my attitude towards things....can't breath the air without making myself sick either, so well, pass me the danged cigarette, I might as well enjoy it while I make myself sick!! and food...lol.....same there...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Don't have time to read all the posts here, but if no one has mentioned it, I buy my cigs for $9.99 per carton from an indian reservation on the internet. I buy a month's supply at a time because there is a 5 carton minimum. They are pretty good cigarettes too. All natural native american cigarettes.
Ooops! forgot to insert link: www.senecasmokeshop.com

[edit on 8/29/2007 by janasstar]

[edit on 8/29/2007 by janasstar]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotOnMyWatch
Mind if I smoke?

When *they* figure this out and start taxing the little cigars too, then I'll just visit the local indian reservation who make some mighty fine smokes.

hehe
$9.99? Lucky lol. As far as I know, cigars, like Colts, are taxed the same, but you cannot buy a carton. A carton of what I prefer costs $70-80 dollars now, depending on how cheap the store is. I could buy a carton of natives for $15 canadian. or $30 for 3 cartons. It's illegal here as of late though- and personally, I can't stand the taste of natives, even though they ARE healthier. Most brands here have accelerants in them and an endless list of preservatives.

Smoking indoors has been illegal for about maybe 4 or 5 years now in my province. Many employers who give their employees full benefits have banned smokers from applying, and even require a drug test, simply because if they can show they have a totally "clean" staff they can have the maximum health insurance available.

Personally, I hate second hand smoke. But when I'm smoking, I can't smell a smoker. However if I haven't had one in a while, I still love the smell of a freshly lit cigarette, but I don't like hanging around for the rest of it.

Edit to add: also, to me Native smokes have this distinct American cigarette taste to them.

[edit on 29/8/07 by ju stab urden]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I joined Her Majesty’s Royal Navy at the tender age of 16 and apart from the, then illicit, odd smoke from a pack of 5 Woodbines behind the bike sheds at school, did not have a ‘habit’.
When I left basic training and joined the real Navy I found that I could get 300 duty free cigarettes per month. (They were called ‘Blue Liners’ due to the packaging)
Then my ‘habit’ started. The UK armed – sorry now they are apparently ‘Defence’ forces - were encouraged to smoke, well perhaps not ‘discouraged’ to smoke is another politically correct way of saying it! This of course has now all changed.
I now reside in New Zealand.
In New Zealand one of the bitter blows below the belt was when they banned smoking in the Returned Servicemen Clubs (RSA’s) You would see all these ‘old diggers’ from WWII huddled outside on a bitter winters night having a chat with comrades and puffing away on their RYO’s (the cost of a pack of ready made being way outside their pension budget! – due mainly to taxes!) without external heating. These guys gave their all for their country and now they are cast out to catch pneumonia or influenza. It is a disgrace, the gubbermint is sending some of these old warriors to an early grave long before the smoking gets to them. (Check the records!!)

The tax revenue captured from the smokers is almost ironic! here you have a ‘captive’ collection pot (due to habit/addiction/reliance!) eventually they – the gubbermint – will kill off the goose that lays the golden egg.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
Has anyone seen that show with Penn & Teller called BS. They did an episode on all the bs hype about second hand smoke. The conclusion......it does not cause cancer.

Well, there it is. Penn & Teller, the comedians, said 2nd hand smoke doesn't cause cancer, so it must be true. [/sarcasm]

My grandmother never smoked a day in her life, but worked in a bar, the same one, for 25 years. Guess what she died from? CANCER. Lung cancer to be more specific.

I guess this would be for another thread, but I'll just toss it out there. I'm sure all of you smokers use an ashtray and never throw your butts out on the ground, riiight?

Also, it's pretty darn funny to see how defensive you smokers get. To call us NAZI non-smokers is just as funny. Maybe you should read a history book to see what a NAZI is all about.

Look, I don't mean to be so harsh and sarcastic, but I have seen several smoking and one non-smoking family members die from cancer (4 people total). I see it as paying to slowly kill yourselves and that is certainly your choice.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nyarlathotep

Actually, since you obviously haven't seen their show.....THEY don't say anything. They consult experts from BOTH sides of the argument and let them say what has to be said. They simply host the show and are the comedy aspect of it.

You really should check their show out. Though I disagreed with them on the aspects of 9/11, they are quite entertaining and they actually have some solid facts on the show.

You should def. check out their shows on Smoking, Bottled Water (classic bit at the end with a fancy waiter and water hose), People like Communicate with the dead, end of the world hysteria and Wal-Mart.

Think mythbusters.....only funnier and better.

Jasn

EDIT: Perhaps you should reread what I said. I said SOME non smokers were Nazi's (meaning nazi like as in oppressive d***heads.) which I followed up directly with thanking those non smokers that were polite in their discussions.

--Jasn

[edit on 29-8-2007 by SimiusDei]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join