It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Lunar Eclipse This Morning, August 28, 2007

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Awesome Eclipse! Just came back inside. What a great experience!

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   
It is 8:00pm in Sydney and we are watching this now. The moon is almost black with a dark (very dark) centre and a light gold crown. We were hoping for a spectacular blood red moon. Hasn't happened but it is beautiful regardless.

[edit on 28/8/2007 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Antar onboard! Set the clock for 4 am and woke the kids around 430 am, only one of them stayed up long enough to see it through lol. It is really orange to the pink looking so far. Amazing to behold. Got some snap shots on the throw away camera just for memories sake. Good Morning ATS.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Cool, starting watching at 6 am in florida.

Just kinda looks dark, lighter at the bottom. Not really red though.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
i've watched it from the start at like 5:30 and it was sweet too bad my pics didn't turn out good i should have taken them earlier instead of trying to take them when it was red

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Top O' Da Mornin' To Yas

So I've been sitting outside watching this thing since 4:30AM CST. I saw the shadow from the edge of the Earth slowly overtake the moon. The lunar surface turned a dark ruddy color... and then just 5 minutes before this post... IT VANISHED.

So it's official, Nashville is experiencing totality.
I keep trying to find it in the sky right where it was, but I just can't! I've been watching it for the better part of an hour, so I know where it should be... creepy how dark our planetary shadow is, huh?

So how long before we get that neat-o red effect? I know it takes a little bit before it lines up to reflect all of our sunrises and sunsets... but when does that occur? Do I have any idea what I'm talking about? Where's my beer?

[edit on 8/28/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
3:27, Wash. State, no longer can it be seen!

[edit on 28-8-2007 by dreamingawake]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
What an excellent show. I slept for 2 hours and set my alarm clock to make sure I awoke for the event. The alarm proved unnecessary as I awoke in plenty in time.

I am here in Los Angeles, CA and the sky was perfectly clear. I watched it from start to finish (and my neck is killing me!). The moon went into totality at 2:52 a.m. PST and emerged from totality at 4:22 a.m. PST. It was exactly a 90 minute show, of course I watched it for longer, about 20 minutes prior to totality and about 10 minutes after it left totality. Right in the middle of the show there was a big, beautiful streaking meteor to the right of the moon. Here in Los Angeles, we have tons of light polution so it was certainly a treat to see that. The moon varied in shades from deep blood red, to dark brown, to partially clouded black, to the color of Mars, and towards the end it looked like the planet Jupiter with it's horizontal cloud banding as it approached the end of totality.

It was by far the best lunar eclipse I've ever seen. I hope lots of people got to enjoy the show. It was a magnificent display in the heavens tonight. I'm sure lots of amateur astronomers took high quality photos, providing they have the proper equipment. By the middle of the day plenty of websites should have a plethora of photos for your viewing pleasure if, by chance, you missed the show.

Next on the agenda: to finally see a total solar eclipse one day.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I was on my way in to work thi9s morning and thought the moon looked funny... I questioned it to a coworker and he informed me "its an eclipse you dumb azz" ... OOPPSS! pretty cool..

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
great pictures.
i cannot believe i missed this, i over slept

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Beautiful pics Space Doubt

We had an un-interrupted view of the whole eclipse here in Geelong, Australia

It was truly beautiful...the first view we got of the moon was about 15 deg above the eastern horizon and on it went until totality and slowly became a normal full moon

Amazing !!
My other half and I were outside every 5-10 mins checking what stage it was at and it was just awesome

But those pics of yours were sublime
What gear did you use to get those ?

Peace

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I just posted some pics in the other thread, but they can't hurt to be posted here again.

BTW, spacedoubt what sort of rig were you using for those shots?

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I think it's amazing how despite the time differences, so many people were looking at the same thing at the same time... kinda ties everyone here together for a few hours...

but I missed it

Nice pix from everyone so far too !!!

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
And as luck would have it for me, it was cloudy the entire evening in Kuala Lumpur. I want to be pissed off, but I have to keep reminding myself, "I live in a rainforest, a tropical rainforest..."

Not the best place to view any astronomical event. There are only clouds up there. And rain. And some more clouds. Sigh...

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Great pics AussieNutter!

I was impressed with the whole thing..Well, half of it anyway. I couldn't stay awake for the "unveiling: half.
I was using a Sony Alpha100, with a 300mm Tele.

It was also fun witnessing with people from all over the dark side of the globe!
Great show

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I stayed up to see it and about 20 minutes prior to the partial, it started storming here like crazy (Twin Cities, Minnesota) and I couldn't see anything through the dark clouds.. Looking at the radar at that time told me it was best to just goto bed...

Sigh.. Fantastic pictures though, I'm glad I can at least see something from it!

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well that was one of the best I've seen, even though it set during totality, I still sat out with binoculars watching what I could.

A big thank-you for the pictures folks. Having spacedoubt post each stage was an amazing bonus for all of us.

It was nice to see that so many members from different parts of the world could see the same celestial show at the same time. Now I can't wait for the next one.

Anyone know when we get a solar eclipse in eastern Canada next ???

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I stay in New Zealand down in the lil ol south pacific i saw it from start to finish was a awesome event and sight i managed to film it on my home camera got a sore neck now. well worth it...

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

Anyone else notice how the man on the moon seemed to become the Thundercats logo?

I stayed up until the sun was no longer directly hitting the moon, and it was mostly red. It was kinda red/yellow/grey. Neat-o

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Spacedoubt

The pictures couldn't have been better. Almost felt like I was there!

With a stretch of the imagination I managed to see several images that could be pairs of eyes and even faces.

Probably because of the thread the girl in the cowboy hat posted! :]
(No disrespect that I forgot your name) about the pair of red eyes from Mars and Aldabaron. Did anyone see the red planet and star?

This thread put me in mind of Dark4Knights warning and the signs to indicate it's coming. Even darknight could be implied by the time the sun was unable to reach the moon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join