It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Aims to Dominate Space Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   

===============================
THE DAILY MIS-LEAD
daily.misleader.org...
===============================

MISSION TO MARS FOR MILITARY BENEFIT, NOT JUST "SPIRIT OF DISCOVERY"

President Bush unveiled his proposal for a new space program Wednesday by
invoking the spirit of explorers Lewis and Clark, saying, "They made that
journey in the spirit of discovery . . .America has ventured forth into
space for the same reasons" But the president didn't mention that members
of his administration view space as the next frontier for military buildup
and conquest.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld chaired the Commission to Assess United
States National Security Space Management and Organization four years ago,
releasing its findings in January 2001. Rumsfeld's report found that "we
know from history that every medium -- air, land and sea -- has seen
conflict. Reality indicates that space will be no different." The panel
also concluded that "given this virtual certainty, the [United States] must
develop the means both to deter and to defend against hostile acts in and
from space."

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld chaired the Commission to Assess United
States National Security Space Management and Organization four years ago.
Rumsfeld was announced as Bush's choice for DoD Secretary weeks before the
commission releasing its findings in January 2001. Rumsfeld's report found
that "we know from history that every medium -- air, land and sea -- has
seen conflict. Reality indicates that space will be no different." The
panel also concluded that "given this virtual certainty, the [United States]
must develop the means both to deter and to defend against hostile acts in
and from space."

The president's focus on space exploration because it "improves our lives,
and lifts our national spirit." However, behind the scenes, USA Today
reported that Bush was persuaded to move forward in part due to the military
benefits, as promoted to him by Vice President Cheney. The Center for
American Progress' Progress Report yesterday noted an appearance by
Republican Congressman Tom Feeney on Scarborough Country where he stated,
"Somebody is going to dominate space. When they do, just like when the
British dominated the naval part of our globe, established their empire,
just like the United States has dominated the air superiority, ultimately,
whoever is able to dominate space will be able to control the destiny of the
entire Earth."

Feeney's comments echo PNAC's September 2000 report Rebuilding America's
Defenses, which said, "Much as control of the high seas - and the protection
of international commerce defined global power in the past, so will control
of the new "international commons" be a key to world power in the future."

Read the Mis-Lead -->
daily.misleader.org...

[Edited on 1/17/04 by NotTooHappy]

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The Office of Aeronautics "was created to reflect NASA's commitment to aviation research and aeronautics technologies for the nation's civil and defense interests
www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Yeah, it kinda makes ya think. Is he trying to keep # in or, is he trying to keep # out?

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...;jsessionid=N2Z0TCP1ST0VKCRBAEKSFFA?type=domesticNews&storyID=4154299

edition.cnn.com...

[Edited on 19-1-2004 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hey, whoever owns space assets has a considerable advantage over their groundpounding associates. More resources, more mobility, ect.

Also, think of it like this:

An american warship lodges in high orbit over a given country, loaded for bear with planetary bombardment devices. Now, the government of said country can't exactly negotiate from the bottom of the gravity well, can it? Gravity would slow any convential weapons down, possibly giving the warship tiem to destroy them and/or move out of the way. Then, the missiles and whatnot launched gain additional speed from the force of gravity, limiting countermeasures. Thus, the adavatage is created.

DE

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
NotTooHappy,

First off, I, among others, would be interested in your opinion on this article that you have posted.
May I take the liberty to remind you that even ATSNN reporters must present an opinion, thought, or comment when presenting a news story or article. As applied to this thread, perhaps you should have likewise presented thus?

Secondly, "dominance" has a multiple of variables and meanings. As for "echoes" of the PNAC 2000 commentaries, DARPA and other US government organization seeking a re-emerging or re-emphasized US military "domination(s)" have come out with multiple 'projects' presenting and backing those ideas:
Project Falcon is one of the foremost.

As long as this world continues to function and operate by nationality(s)....ie: countires and nations, any "area" will be considered up for "dominance" by one or a few nationalities. The land, oceans, the sky, and now space.
BTW, this is again, not regulated to one particular presidential administration, so please don't be fooled by this announcement by the present Bush Administration.

Space will inevitablely become the new playground, and in such, will have a couple "bullies" who will try to dictate goals, agendas, and authority...or are you trying to say that in this day and age, space is for anyone and everyone....you know, the humane stance and 'thang' to say and hope for?

Power and politics have been a defining factor in the history of mankind and will undoubtedly carry into the arena of space.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 19-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think that we should worry about the problems on Earth before we worry about space or, space weapons for that matter. I think that the more powerful our military gets, the more we'll be attacked. This is just another attempt to expand the business of war.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Im sorry but in 4 year what can he do? Secondly I would want a millitary presence in space so they could protect my butt down hear. Like that huge ring in Starship troopers the movie that would be great.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
I think that we should worry about the problems on Earth before we worry about space or, space weapons for that matter. I think that the more powerful our military gets, the more we'll be attacked. This is just another attempt to expand the business of war.

Yes, in a manner NotTooHappy, I would have to agree.
War has become both an "art-form" and a business....courtesy of 'technology'.

As to "we" dealing with the problems "we" have on Earth first, part of me greatly agrees with that NTH, but another part of me tells me that the Earth will always have 'problems' to be dealt with.

I have mentioned this a couple of times already on other threads, but how would you feel about this if the US had invited other world space programs to participate or 'jointly' go at this endeavor (ie: Moon and Mars)?

Now that would be have been a worthy project for all of Earth and its betterment.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy

I'm definitely ok with dominant power in space. it's better than a non-allied country controlling the highground. (besides, it will keep my 401k based on company stock going strong)

As for the more powerful the military - the more you get attacked, I'm not so sure I would agree with you... I rather feel that the more you exert your influence the more you get attacked.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I have mentioned this a couple of times already on other threads, but how would you feel about this if the US had invited other world space programs to participate or 'jointly' go at this endeavor (ie: Moon and Mars)?

Now that would be have been a worthy project for all of Earth and its betterment.

regards
seekerof

I agree, if the countries of earth would work together for a change, great things could happen. I doubt that it will ever happen though.

new topics

top topics

join