It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pitbull A Dangerous Animal by Nature?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Pitbull A Dangerous Animal by Nature?
I think I’ve fallen for Pitbull media hype. I always believed the commonly-reported stereotype of the pitbull as an overly aggressive, dangerous, unpredictable animal. I grew up in Florida and many homes had a pitbull rope hanging from a tree in the yard. These are ropes where the pitbull exercised it’s natural aggression by jumping up, biting the rope and hanging for unbelievable lengths of time. I also remember my buddy shooting his shotgun at the ground, off the bed of his 4x4, and his pitbull trying to bite at the dirt where the shotgun blasted away at the earth. I, like most, have read the many horrifying stories about pitbulls left alone and eating babies (true-has occurred) or attacking children or other neighbors unprovoked. Further, a close friend’s son was mauled by the neighborhood Pitbull a few years back, after the dog wandered into their yard.
However, one of my closest friends got a pitbull 3 years ago and there was no disputing this was one of the most loveable, sweet and affectionate animals I’ve ever encountered. This friend always used to tell me that the pitbull stories were all part of a bigger media myth. I would counter, by explaining that my brother-in-law is an insurance agent and he states many homeowners’ insurance policies will not cover a home with a pitbull. I’ve encountered other pitbulls and found them to be very sweet and precious animals with a wonderful temperament.
Well, following the recent media hype regarding Michael Vick and his now admission of guilt in organizing pitbull fighting, I decided to do some research. There are some great websites that are rich with info on the history, makeup and temperament of this animal. Could it be that these are just good-natured, very trainable animals that are capable of an intense fighting spirit that is often exploited and turned into dangerous aggression? Any thoughts on this? I’m really not sure where the truth lies.
Here’s an awesome website, and there are many like it:
HERE

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Thats a nice slideshow.

It really is the OWNER that I don't trust. and by default, the dogs.
It's a shame really. I know they can be, and ARE good animals.

There was, however this one night..well, I was carjacked.
You'll have to read the story HERE.

Any dog, can be vicious. The viciousness is directly proportional to the idiocy of the owner.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Where I live they've banned pit bulls. You can still keep the ones you have but you can't breed or sell them, and they must be licensed.

This is the definition of a pit bull per Bill 132 - 2005.

* A Pit Bull Terrier;
* A Staffordshire Bull Terrier;
* An American Staffordshire Terrier;
* An American Pit Bull Terrier; or
* A member of a class of dogs that have an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to the four types of dogs that have been identified.

I've known two of these animals and they were great.
Three children were added to the family around these dogs, and we weren't afraid to let the baby play with them. I think they were more secure with the dogs than without them.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
For 13 years I was the proud owner of a purebred American Bulldog.(the father breed to a pit bull) No terrier in him at all.The worst he would do was try to climb on your lap( a 112 pound dog that thought he was a lap dog) and lick you to death.He never even growled at other dogs.People would move away on the sidewalk when we walked him just because of all the media hype surrounding pitbulls.It is sad, because there is a cocker spaniel in my area,that growls at everyone and attacks other dogs.Don't judge temperment by breed.People get pitbulls and train them to be aggresive, yes.And of course, some of the nicer ones to attack spontaneously, but no more than any other breed.You just rarely hear about it.IMHO, the worst dogs to leave around children are huskies.Too much wild instinct there.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Pits are really sweet dogs like you said, if raised normally. But I think a lot of people buy PitBulls because they think it's "cool" just to own a Pit due to their fierce reputation, which is ridiculous at least to me.

Give me a Pug any day, I've always wanted one. Or maybe a nice Pot bellied pig.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Great responses and observations. It sounds like others view this thing like I do. the remark about their behaior being as much a reflection of the owner, I think, is important. So far, I'm inclined to believe that people are often taking advantage of their trainability and proclivity for fighting. they are equally sweet animals by nature.
On a side note, I notice that Michael Vick has "found Jesus".

*EDIT* By the way, Spacedoubt, that story is awesome and the picture, of course, is priceless! Thanks

[edit on 28-8-2007 by Corbin Dalus]

[edit on 28-8-2007 by Corbin Dalus]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is a very good question. One that I've actually pondered in the past. I do believe that all dogs personalities, including Pit Bulls, are influenced greatly by their owners. That being said however, I believe that Pit Bulls do have an inbred aggressiveness. I have no facts to back that statement up, it just my opinion. When you hear of the stories that someone was mauled, more often than not there was a Pit Bull involved. As AccessDenied stated previously, perhaps the media doesn't hype any of the stories where other breeds are involved. She also states correctly, that Huskies do have a reputation around children.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
sigh...

I actually started a thread somewhat like this a while ago... about 2 months ago I think...

www.abovepolitics.com...

It's mainly about BSL... but also one of the topics is the nature of animals... and how it's not their fault...

[edit on 28/8/07 by galm 1]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I has never heard about Husies. Interesting. Also, great thread galm 1. I understand there are areas now where such animals are actually banned, though I've yet to research this.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I has never heard about Husies. Interesting. Also, great thread galm 1. I understand there are areas now where such animals are actually banned, though I've yet to research this.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
No, I dont think Pits are dangerous by nature. While they were and are inbred every other breed of dog is as well. The Pits i've encountered are very friendly and love people, of course the ones that i've encountered are mostly friends pits who I might add do not fight dogs. Now is that to say that someday he wouldn't bite and hurt some child? No, he could take the chld as a threat just like any other dog. It's the owners responsibility to keep the dog away from ones that could be harmed by it. Should Pits be allowed to run free around town without a leash or allowed to be left unattended around children? No, but no other dog should be allowed to do that anyway. Pits IMO are not anymore dangerous than any other dog. Of course other breeds of dogs attack and kill children, does the media report it? No, not usually. The media is using something in this case, Pitbulls to make people fear something they shouldn't... like they always do.

My town recently passed a law making it illegal to own a Pitbull inside city limits. People that already have pitbulls can keep them IF they get special home owners insurance, that I might add is quite an extra amount of money. If you cant or dont get it, you have to get rid of your of your Pitbull or they come and take him... if someone in the neighboring town doesn't get him from the animal shelter its put to sleep. It outrages me that something like this has happened in my town and something similar has happened to a number of counties across the United States. This is all fueled by the media.

new topics

top topics

join