It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, So The US Government Sucks...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
i think that even the most die-hard, flag waving patriots will admit that we can improve our current system of government...so instead of making threads that just point out problems i thought i would start one where we could talk about some possible solutions to some of the problems.

the quote below is taken from the online book, "Feudalism ...alias American Capitalism" which can be read in its entirety here - mypage.uniserve.ca...

Possible Corrective Actions

1) Install a More Democratic Election Process
In order to prevent the economic elite from controlling the outcome of elections as a result of their financial power and subsequent influence, consider the following election system.
Let's say a country wished to elect a government of 100 elected members.

To eliminate the theatrics and monetary waste involved in current election campaigns, and to prevent any party from requiring or in fact being helped unfairly by contributions from the economic elite, put all parties on an equal footing. First have each party prepare a platform which makes clear its stand on all the key issues of the day, and let the platforms be debated first nationally by relevant party authorities, and then exhaustively in local public forums.
A fund of money from taxes would be set aside for televised interparty debates concerning the merits and flaws of each others platform planks. At party election time, have the party's previous contributions to society posted for all to see. Make each political party prepare a written platform that if elected will stand as a matter of record.

Then at each polling booth let the people initially vote for a PARTY (and its platform), ...instead of for a candidate. After a party is chosen by the most per capita votes in the country, the respective number of members of each party are determined by the relative ratio of total votes received. By electing a party by the number of per capita votes, the abuse of gerrymandering would be eliminated.

Let money from taxes, necessary to elect the 100 candidates, be then divided among the winning parties accordingly, to cover the cost of electing their members. The respective parties would then hold elections to field the appropriate number of candidates nationally. In other words, if one party received ten percent of the country vote, then that party had the right to elect it's ten candidates. Only those who had originally registered as voting members of that particular party would then be eligible to vote in the secondary "candidate" elections.

At CANDIDATE election time, have the candidates' previous contributions to the community, be posted for all to see. Make each political candidate prepare a written statement regarding his stand on the key issues of the day. If elected it would stand as a matter of record. Then each party would elect their representatives.

Once in power, the incoming party then has the right, not the obligation to replace ministers holding portfolios.

Ensure that a minister only holds a portfolio for which he has special qualifications and training.

Elected politicians should be considered ineligible unless they have a history of community service as opposed to economic self- service. This should be just as mandatory a condition for the unelected appointees.

Slowly elevate the role of elected official to a position of honor and respect by making the penalties socially devastating for serious abuse of public trust. Influencing peddling, at least 10 years.

Serious abuses of public trust by a President or Attorney General should carry a 10 year minimum sentence, not merely impeachment. Let's get rid of the Divine Right of Kings once and for all.

Strip a convicted elected official of his special pension rights.

And last but not least, it may come as a shock to some Americans, but:

In a real DEMOCRACY, its leader would not be able to veto the wishes of the elected majority.

mypage.uniserve.ca...

the cynical side of me doesn't believe the ruling class would ever let any of the above suggestions take place...but if they did, i think they would go a long way in cleaning up our current system. thoughts?

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
In general there is nothing wrong with elites controlling the system as long as minority rights and the constitution are respected and there is fair opportunity for advancement in an open system. There are plenty of safeguards in favor of this in the USA--which even a strong executive cannot arrogate.

In fact I would prefer elites rule as long as these basic rules are followed.

Most of that "Feudalism" quote is hooey (except I'm not against the prison term part.) I'm against a "real" democracy as you propose, this so-called pure democracy ruled by idiots from the gutter. Such examples as you provide would only lead to a type of Parliamentary mediocrity too often seen in the quagmires of Old Europe over the many years.

I shall vote for a "republic", a representative democracy, governed by enlightened leaders with corresponding responsibilities accorded to them by a constitution for which they are held accountable.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
i myself think that government should be a nearly one world thing, there should be certain rules for the whole world which wuld be certan rights and such, and then the leader would be voted in every 3 months with online and electric voting stations, no campaign signs or commericals or diddle squat get done, the leader gets his speech where he says what he's gonna do and he has total control over policies but any military action would require a vote by the people, voting could be done at work at online stations and in public areas,
each registered voter would recieve a login and one vote would be accepted per voting period, voting servers however would ahve to be extremely secure to disallow cheating of any kind
and then after the 3 months if he doesn't do what he said bam he's outa there new dude in to make happy the ppl
all industry would be communistic thus everyone would be provided housing and the whole #e, people would ahve to chaneg their frame of mind hardcoer though, there would have to be "councilling sessions"

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   

In general there is nothing wrong with elites controlling the system as long as minority rights and the constitution are respected and there is fair opportunity for advancement in an open system.

wooooo, you really believe we currently have that? i'd like a puff on whatever you're smoking.

I'm against a "real" democracy as you propose, this so-called pure democracy ruled by idiots from the gutter.

idiots from the gutter? how do you figure? someones on a high and mighty trip...

I shall vote for a "republic", a representative democracy, governed by enlightened leaders with corresponding responsibilities accorded to them by a constitution for which they are held accountable.

enlightened leaders that are held accountable...like george w.? thanks for the laugh

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I say lose the electoral college and use the popular vote rather than the electoral votes to decide presidency. I also think that young women should have to register for Selective Service on their 18th birthday, just like the young men do. Then, it's time to quit adding sh�t to the constitution, like the 16th ammendment. Then, maybe make it so Executvice Orders have to be ratified by Congress and the Senate before they can be mandated.

I actually really like banjoechef's idea, that sounds really good on paper.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   

idiots from the gutter? how do you figure? someones on a high and mighty trip...

No, it's not that. I just don't have much faith in the *common* man. The common man is a bore. Quite unuseful and unimaginative for the most part. The *common man* is a sheep, who being kept content bumbles around indefinitely. And for people who are half-intelligent, the uncommon man (and woman)--if they want to affect the political system then they can. At least in the US.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   
All government sucks. They will never be perfect, and they will never do anything you want them to do if you sit around on you butt saying "america sucks". If we really want to change things then we'll get out there, and work in our communities. I think the problems with our government is unchecked power. Organize--organizations are more powerful than the so called "elite". Organizations sway the elite and write policy. When americans realize the power the constituiton give the people it'll be too late, and we won't have it anymore.

Then, to move on to the elites v. common man issue. There is no such division provided in the constitution. James Madison believed this--owners of land should own the government type thinking. That's not how it should be. The common man runs the wheels of industry without the common man there is no elite. No one is above or below we all work together to make this country great. Some do it with their backs and other's with their brains. Regardless, all should be afford the same voice within the government. That is why it is important that we have unions and activism that comes from the lower and middle class portions of our society.

It is wrong to believe "common man" doesn't care. I have yet to meet someone that doesn't care, and I knock on many doors this time of year. Talking and registering voters. The problem is most feel powerless. They are unaware of their power. Sometimes after talking with folk we have them out knocking on doors the next day, energized. Don't discount the power of the common man in this DEMOCRACY.

My solution is--if you care about something fight for it, because that is the only way to change things.

top topics

join