It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Americans too fat to fight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Young Americans too fat to fight

news.scotsman.com

AN EPIDEMIC of obesity could have serious consequences for America's economy and its ability to defend itself, according to a leading politician... He questioned whether the nation's increasingly obese population would be able to defend itself "if we don't have enough people who are healthy enough to show up and pick up a backpack?"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Perhaps MacDonalds et al will actually be responsible for saving the planet - now that's irony.

... "would you like to SuperSize that?"

news.scotsman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
So that's the trick eh? Eat til you puke, then eat some more? You know, for how hard the push is to "restock" the armed services, you'd think they'd take anybody.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm not surprised. Most of us are fat nowadays, and too lazy to change it.

Though I wouldn't count on that changing anything. Our government will just make war robots. D:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Well I'm not totally buying this one.

Most new recruits are at the College and University age.
Here's a couple pics taken at a US college and University.

These next ones are fleeing a gunman, and they sure seem fit and able to run, but it may not be totally fair, the fat kids might be at the back of the pack.

For the most part I think it's the middle age crowd that is ballooning the statistics. I've visited a University recently and they look pretty good to this dirty old man, and there aren't that many that couldn't be turned into soldiers.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I think hes talking about the general populace.

I believe his scenario involves war in America and the prospect that the layman may have to defend himself.

If that's the case, man are we screwed. :shk:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Who says it's just young America, a lot of us older Americans are too fat to fight too

Big Mac temptations

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'd rather be fat and at home then skinny and in a body bag. I doubt there's people going " Man too bad he/she died, atleast they were skinny".

If you sign up, they put you through bootcamp, that knocks weight off of you right there. Keyword is "IF" you sign up.

apc

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
These next ones are fleeing a gunman, and they sure seem fit and able to run, but it may not be totally fair, the fat kids might be at the back of the pack.

No... the fat kids are already dead.

I have to take every report about obesity in America with a hefty grain of salt. They keep reducing the weight at which one is considered obese and then freaking out about how many obese people there are. I'm sure people are getting fatter, what with all the lazy cattle leeching off the Government instead of getting a job. But I strongly doubt the rate of growth that is always being claimed.

Regardless, I'm not too worried. If a real war breaks out, food will be heavily rationed. Can't get fat if you can't stuff your face with an eight course meal five times a day.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by vckums

Hehehehe and sadly, I have NO doubt in my mind that some people actually would say that too.

new topics

top topics

join