It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Year Old Girl Runs 2200 Miles.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

8 Year Old Girl Runs 2200 Miles.

news.bbc.co.uk

Zhang Huimin, eight, rose each day at 0230 and ran about 1.5 marathons (64km, 40 miles), Xinhua news agency said. Her father accompanied her on a bicycle.

He said the feat was aimed at drawing attention to her Olympic potential ahead of the Beijing games next year.

He denied forcing her to run, but some experts have said it amounted to abuse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
How horrible,I tend to agree with the quote-this is child abuse.
The poor child will be damaged for life from that kind of mileage at such a young age.
The Beijing Olympics could be encouraging this sort of barbarity,in some ways.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Definitely. I do not see how any 8 year old child would wake at 2:30 and want to run a marathon. I presume they are from a poor family and want to create a possible tourist attraction income off her?

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Its horrible for the girl,her bones have not developed and she is made to run 2200 miles.at 8 years old.
Sick.The father followed her on a bike BTW-he should be locked up IMO.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Sounds like child abuse alright. I can't imagine an 8 year old wanting to do that. She'll likely have her growth stunted from all that running at such a young age. Not to mention the psychological effects...

Even if she does want to get up every morning at 2:30 and run 40 miles every day, how could the father allow it? I wouldn't.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
any charges?? that's crazy

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
yea i definitely can see some long term damage coming out of this

what some people will do for their 15 minutes blows my mind sometimes

CX

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This is similar to that recent case of the asian boy who ran tremendous distances....in this case the coach was put up on abuse charges when the boy was found to have marks on his body from being tortured. I guess thats why he ran.

There were human rights groups calling for this to stop...

Human rights group call for end to marathon boy's running

Heres the sad report about his abuse from the coach.

Marathon boy tortured

What with the Beijing Olympics in the future, these will unfortunately not be the only cases we here about.

CX.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Clearly the girl, at age 8 has some talent or she couldn't run like that.

I think that's about the age they start them in ballet and gymnastics. So, if it is voluntary, there's precedent.

[edit on 27-8-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

no 8 year old i've ever met would wake up at 2:30 AM and run a marathon and a half.. but maybe things like this aren't so uncommon in different parts of the world

or maybe its exactly what the article says it is .. "He said the feat was aimed at drawing attention to her Olympic potential ahead of the Beijing games next year.
"

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Pretty sick way to advertise anything in my book.
Risking the health and future of your daughter to make a quick buck.Damn,thats darkside.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Keep in mind that China is very male-centric. Girl babies are still abandoned because of the one child birth control laws. Girls have always been sold away from the family as slaves or concubines.

Sadly, if the man was abusing his daughter, he was only carrying on an ancient tradition in that culture.

I hope it's changing for the better for girls there, but this story doesn't sound like it much.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The more I read about the situation,the more I worry about the cost of a Chinese Olympics.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Phantom
no 8 year old i've ever met would wake up at 2:30 AM and run a marathon and a half

Well, like I said, you can't run 1.5 marathons unless you have training, skill and talent.

As far as 'getting up early', I bet you could get an 8 year old up that early to go to Disneyland.

I used to get up at 4:30 every morning, rain or shine to go ride a bike two miles and pick up a 25lb pack of newspapers and deliver them for two hours before school on my bike, seven days a week, though I was probably 14 by then.

I'm not trying to defend abusive practices; they are clearly wrong. A case could be made that for an 8 year old there is no 'voluntary'.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

i understand what you are saying badge

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

I used to get up at 4:30 every morning, rain or shine to go ride a bike two miles and pick up a 25lb pack of newspapers and deliver them for two hours before school on my bike, seven days a week, though I was probably 14 by then.

I'm not trying to defend abusive practices; they are clearly wrong. A case could be made that for an 8 year old there is no 'voluntary'.

I understand where you are coming from,and many kids do rough routines,but your 25lb,2 mile paper round was for money and was your choice-

I just can't see any 8 year old choosing to run multi marathons..and most parents would surely prevent rather than encourage this activity.
Man,look at the poor kids face in the BBC link photo.
No need.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Very impressive and very sad at the same time. This could turn out to be wasted talent because of the age they started this child. They may be taking a talented and healthy child and turning her into an obese depressed young woman in 10 years.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I am going to have to say that running 40 miles a day is either an exaggeration or a flat out lie but all runners are different. An 8 year old girl running 40 miles would need a crazy amount of water to stay hydrated or eventually she would just crash. I was a runner for many years. I started off in High School Cross Country. The courses were set for 3 to 5 miles. At one point in my life I was running 10 miles every single day and I was never an excellent runner. Professional Marathon runners run about 20 miles a day when they are training or about 150 miles a week. 40 miles a day is obviously double that amount.

I think it might be easier for a small child to learn to run though because they have less body mass to carry. Their muscles and body joints are also in newer condition. The problem with long distance running is that it will wreck your body later down the road. By the time I was in my late 20's my knees were shot. I still had the endurance to run 10 miles a day but my body was lucky if it would carry me 2 miles.

The strange thing about running is that the further you run the less pain you tend to feel. Runners will hit a point were endorphins kick in. Endorphins act like a drug or a natural pain killer. They call it a runners high.

I do not believe this father and daughter team is child abuse. The human body is created to run long distances and I do not believe the 40 mile a day statement just from my experience with running. Even if they are hitting 40 miles a day that doesn't mean that she is going to explode or drop dead. No matter what distance they are running if they are not doing it correctly the body will just shut off - meaning the girl would pass out. Runners do this on their own sometimes. It's called finding your limit. The scary thing is if this girl is running 40 miles and she isn't passing out then she can actually run farther meaning she has not hit her limit yet. In that case she should be studied by scientists.

[edit on 27-8-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Good call on the 'exaggeration' part.

She'd not only be plowing through about 20 bottles of water a day, but many pairs of running shoes and socks and eating about 5000 calories per day just to keep that up. Forget how long she'd been doing it. That can get a bit expensive.

I'm just riding my bicycle twice a day and you wouldn't believe all the stuff you need, from protein powder, to vitamins, to replacement drinks, mineral water, three pairs of everything with two pair in various stages of drying. I look like a YMCA locker room around here in the Summer.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Haha let's just have our eight year old run 40 miles every day, and I thought my parents were harsh

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join