It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales Resigns

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Are you saying that Gonzales made a deal to step down in return for dropping the perjury charges?

To be more direct, the answer is "no." I don't think any deal was made. For the reasons given, I think he stepped down to save himself. Hope that clears things up.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Justin Oldham

Cool beans. You know what torques me about this? The upcoming confirmation hearings for nominees. Sure to be another fiasco.

Chuck Schumer (paraphrased): "We will not obstruct any hearings for new AG nominations".

Chuck Schumer, later, upon hearing Chertoff's name mentioned (paraphrased): "I don't like that choice at all".

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
You know what torques me about this? The upcoming confirmation hearings for nominees. Sure to be another fiasco.

As a citizen, I'm outraged that we now have no Attorney General AND no deputy A.G. AND no Associate A.G. This means that our Justice Department is literally incapacitated. I am not a lwyers, but I'm sure "somebody" in the White House must be thinking of ways to make this work for the Bush team.

As it stands, those confirmation hearings won't start until next year. If I was a Democrat, I'd make sure the nominees were in front of the cameras before and after the primaries.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You know Justing what it bothers me is how Gonzales is allow to leave without congress challenging all the damage that he has done to our nation and the rights to us citizens.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The Democrats control Congresss. They have chosen to NOT charge him with inherent contempt. It's a legal move, and its theirs to make. It's not good for the loong term health of the country, but its a legal move. In purest poliitcal terms, they want to use the Gonzales precdent/rule thath as just been created for their own advantage later on. We should all be unhapy about that.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
According to the Washington Post the DoJ itself is investigating Gonzales about whether he lied or gave inaccurate or misleading statements and information to congress. This story is far from over. If he is indited by the DoJ then congress I would think would be forced to act.... if only on contempt of congress charges.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I'm often surprised to learn that many people here in my own home town are not aware of the part Mr. Gonzales played in the development and implementation of our domestic spying program. For that alone, I'd like to see him come back to D.C. It's an issue that goes far beyond Republican or Democrat. That spying program strikes right at hehart of our Constitution. The fact that its being done without oversight is just...wrong.

[edit on 3-9-2007 by Justin Oldham]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join