It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales Resigns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

"I want someone whose primary interest is me - George Bush - and who doesn't hope to parlay this into something and isn't trying to curry favor with this one or that one," Bush told Johnson and his wife, Anne Sewell Johnson, over lunch.'

Heheh...too funny. The King of Double-Think strikes again....

J.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

Originally posted by TruthWithin
I am thinking it might have something to do with lying under oath, allowing unwarranted wiretaps and illicit spy programs directed at the American people. OR it may have to do with coercing the then sitting AG in his hospital bed to sign new spy programs into effect. OR it might be the fact that he can't remember ANYTHING!

But you're probably right...it must be the liberals.

I'm sure you have PROOF that he committed those crimes, right? Or is it just your opinion?

Because if he were guilty, you can be sure the Dem's would be preparing a case against him right now.

Instead, they chose to make a huge stink over his firing ~40 Federal Prosecutors (perfectly within his right, btw) while they turned a deaf ear to the fact that Clinton fired all 93 when he took office.

Don't bother replying - I prefer to remain on planet earth.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I believe that when Bush means "people that their interest will be me" alone the lines he wants Yes men, just like the Generals in command of the Iraqi occupation.

Yes men that will do as Bush said and nothing else.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

I'm sure you have PROOF that he committed those crimes, right? Or is it just your opinion?

Don't bother replying - I prefer to remain on planet earth.

What a lovely sentiment for a DISCUSSION forum.

I know you don't want to hear how you're team is down down in the dumps right now, but here on earth, as you so poetically stated, we often demand accountability from our leaders and those that serve us, particularly when they seem to be dismantling the constitution.

If there was nothing he did wrong, then why the blatant game of "I do not recall" and "I have no memory"? Why then will congress continue to pursue him to question him about what was going on, and why it looks REALLY shady?

[edit on 27-8-2007 by TruthWithin]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Because if he were guilty, you can be sure the Dem's would be preparing a case against him right now.

I cant believe there are still fools in America that believe in the Left/Right
Democrats/Republican bullcrap.
Left or right makes no difference, they are still hands of the same body, the body of politrix.

As long as you are stuck in that mentality there is no hope for progress.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I would expect George W. Bush to do something like appoint Michael Chertoff as Attorney General.

The "Screw You" factor from Bush will be at work no matter who he chooses to appoint or if he decides simply to let Clement run the show until his term is finished.

Then again he just might appoint his daughter's future father-in-law Hager as AG... wouldn't that be a hoot.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
The Gonzales resignation has many implications. Here again, I would not be surprised to see the hand of Karl Rove. Yes, Alberto wants to avoid another spanking at the hands of the Senate judiciary committee (contempt charges for evading questions while under oath), but he also wants to avoid coming clean about that wacky domestic spying program that was NEVER certified by the Justice Department.

Just a few days ago I questioned the timing of the confirmation of the telecom's role in the NSA domestic spying program. My comment was:

Originally posted by Areal51
Many of us have followed this story for quite awhile knowing that the government was attempting to cover its butt as well as cover up the story. I think this is a startling revelation given the fact the Bush Administration has steadily refused to offer any reasonable commentary on the domestic spying program, instead invoking the claim of executive privilege. I also find it interesting that these statements by the national intelligence director, Mike McConnell, are made approximately two weeks following the resignation of President Bush's former Senior Adviser, and now Deputy Chief of Staff, Karl C. Rove.

And today Alberto Gonzales resigns! No doubt this represents one of Karl Rove's final moves. It would be crazy of him to leave anybody like the embattled Alberto Gonzales in office knowing that he faces further questioning by the Senate Judiciary Committee. Rove himself faces subpoena's, that he has so far ignored, claiming executive privilege, by that very same committee. It sounds like there's a huge leak in the Bush Administration that all of heaviest hitters have to leave before a certifiable catastrophe occurs.

Whatever is going down in Washington, it has got to be big. Right now Bush is the head of the worst executive administration in the history of United States.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Another loyalist crony. Love this quote from the above aritcle back in 1994.

"I want someone whose primary interest is me - George Bush - and who doesn't hope to parlay this into something and isn't trying to curry favor with this one or that one," Bush told Johnson and his wife, Anne Sewell Johnson, over lunch. Johnson fretted that he didn't know enough about politics.

Anne Sewell is married to Clay Johnson. Wow. Talk about dynastic interbreeding.

Clay Johnson very well could be the one chosen for his beneficial lack of knowledge.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

So... tell us how you really feel.

I do have to agree with you though. Sad but true.

I don't know what to make of all these resignations. The one that really surprised me was Carl Rove. Maybe they are "rats deserting a sinking ship", but it could be they are making room for the next generation of neocons to gain some experience in hopes of retaining power after the next election. I don't see this gang just giving up and leaving. They don't do anything unless it gives them a political edge.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I guess I have two questions:

1. Do you really think Gonzales' resignation is just an isolated event and not a well timed step in a larger plan?

2. What are all of you Bush haters going to do for light entertainment starting in January of 2009?

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Interesting that Tony Snow, Karl Rove, Dennis Hassart and now Alberto Gonzales announces that they are resigning in August.

Gee, I wonder if they see something coming down the road?

Does anyone know if the Iraqi PM has come back from vacation yet? I read somewhere that they were suppose to be on vacation until September sometime.

Here is a question, let us pretend that Dick Cheney steps down as Vice President for health reasons. He has a bad heart (no pun intended), so if he could step down, what would happen?

Would GW ask McCain to take over Cheney's spot?

[edit on 8/27/2007 by TheInfamousOne]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
i didn't even know he resigned.
peace

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by itguysrule
What are all of you Bush haters going to do...

Such childish rhetoric.
Dont you dare call a spade a spade, a fool a fool, or a loser a loser because then you become a 'Bush hater'.

Bush is a complete and utter failure. He will go down in history as the worst president in a century.
The world knows this, not just Americans, but I guess the world is just a bunch of 'Bush haters'.

Well I can tell you as a red blooded American male, I LOVE bush.
But as far as the President of the United States goes, that man is an imbicile whom I wouldnt want running a McDonalds, let alone in charge of the worlds only super-power.

So what are all you 'Bush-fans' gonna do when he leaves office?
Are you going to become 'Ron Paul haters'?

Seriously, I cant understand how any rational, thinking individual likes, or believes in, or defends either Gonzo or Bush.
Its like the black folk that still think O.J. Simpson is innocent.

It boggles the freaking mind.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Chertoff's name keeps coming up, just a question, is Chertoff an attorney, because, I am not sure, but I think that one of the qualifications for the job of attorney general just might be that they are an attorney??

by the way....I just got my birthday present...lol...all you people at ats predicting doom and gloom on my birthday!!! ha, ha, it's doom and gloom for the washington gang!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
gee bush haters, tell us how you REALLY feel. Yeah, I'll call a spade a spade here. I just feel sorry for when a republican gets back in office next term, the poor guy will probably get blasted due to guilt by association. But hey, lets face it, the democrat offerings are pretty low grade right now for candidates.

Overall tho, its good to see the attorney puppet in general vacate the office. Even if its not filled for a while, it would almost seem better to have no o ne there than the trained clown that was in there.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Such childish rhetoric.

Rhetoric? - I thought I just asked a question and you didn't even answer it.

So what are all you 'Bush-fans' gonna do when he leaves office?

I imagine I will be watching a bunch of Democrats "screwing things up" just as bad or worse than the current administration.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
When Hillary is sworn in, in 2009 and you guys start trashing her like you did her husband; I will remind you and remind you yet again and again and again of how much you bewailed us so-called bush haters for the past 8 years, until you are throughly sick of it.

You never have been able to get it through your pointy little heads that most of us so called bush whackers don't even want the emotional investment required to hate the man, what we hate are his policies and what they have done to this country.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

Was this the same idiot that tried to push the "shoot on sight" clause in regards to american citizens found fleeing across the borders of Canada or Mexico by their soldiers?

[edit on 27-8-2007 by Knightshadowz]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Bush: Gonzales' 'good name dragged through the mud'
www.cnn.com...

Poor guy finally exits. I remember watching the hearings, Mr Gonzales had a lot to say when asked direct questions i.e.:

X10
I don't recall, I can't remember, I wasn't at that meeting, and I wasn't told about that or I didn't make that decision..."
Geez, Gonzales will probably forget he was nominated and confirmed and the shortest tenure of a serving US -- AG?

Dallas

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
When Hillary is sworn in, in 2009 ...

grover,
You DO mean IF ... Right?
Otherwise, it would seem you're countin' those peeps a bit prematurely. No?

... what we hate are his policies and what they have done to this country.

Interestingly enough, there are "pointy heads" on ALL sides who hold similar sentiments regarding such ... including those within his own party.

Be that as it may, the Topic of discussion, Here, is U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales Resigns » Post Reply

Perhaps, we could continue the "candling of unhatched eggs" talk in another thread ... one dedicated to such. (?)

U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales Resigns » Post Reply

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join