It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8kg of Uranium 235 & 238 Stolen in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   

8kg of Uranium 235 & 238 Stolen in China

www.smh.com.au

Chinese police are trying to trace eight kilograms of stolen uranium ore that was being carried around in a plastic bag and a sack, as a group of men tried to sell it on the blackmarket.
Four men from Hunan province have been arrested and are on trial in Guangzhou but a fifth accomplice, who allegedly has the bulk of the highly radioactive uranium ore, has not been found.
The ore, comprising U-235 and U-238 uranium, poses a serious public health risk.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Unfortunatley I believe this story is just the one that happened to be noticed by the media.

I think that in places like China, Russia, and former USSR states, that theft of radioactive material occurs much more often than we would like to think about.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Wouldn't this 5th guy become sick very fast by carrying the stuff around so carelessly? Hopefully he's avoiding too much human contact, so that he will be the only one to suffer.

It's scary with states like that where the people employed by the state or just the poor farmers in China has to chose a way of life like this to make a days living. (ofcourse its sad for anyone who has it like that, don't get me wrong)

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I can just picture it. A guy running around with some Uranium in a plastic bag.

"Like yo man, I got this Uranium, man!"
"How much you need, how much you need?"

This guy will likley dump the stolen material to avoid being caught.
His buyer has been compromised, I bet he doesnt know anyone else in the trade.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

I do wonder about the success of such thefts in Communist China, but as that nation has become more Corporatist and riddled with corruption at every level -- witness the food and medicine nightmares from China -- it seems like enough money could buy one almost everything in China ... except for Tibet - that's gotta stay in lock-down.

top topics

join