It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI EVESDROPS ON ONSTAR EQUIPPED CARS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The FBI has for two years eavesdropped on cars equipped with the on star system. However in order to do so they had to disable the emergency feature rendering the motorists without the emergency protection they were paying for in the first place. Read all about it here.

edit:
This was submitted to ATSNN, however, the source doesn't indicate actual evesdropping activity, so it's being moved to another forum.

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
No outraged replies from any GM car owners yet??? Strange...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Is anyone actually surprised that the FBI is doing this? Im not. Big Brother is everywhere. Even in your car.

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Lol I bet if you had one of those new fancy internet refrigerators that order food when you eat it FBI would see it too

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
www.securityfocus.com...
This is an interesting link I posted in the thread below.

No on star for me, thank you. Anyway, it doesn't bother me to stop and ask for direction if I ever get lost.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Does this come as a suprise to ANYONE?

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What also worries me about this is that spammers may figure out how to trasmit to the system as a new venue for annoyance. Any GPS enabled system should be considered as a tracking method, so all those people who have the GPS Navigation systems in their cars should be worried also. I wonder how long untill OnStar is able to be Anti-Privacy compliant with the wishes of the FBI and various other goverment agencies?

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's a good thing I stick to buying older cars.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
i'm trying to figure out how to disable onstar, any info?...why did i let myself get talked into buying a gm...

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
ocelot. id just like to point out that underworld is the worst film ever made.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Well.. no worries for me, I'm too ghetto to be having On Star any time soon.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Whats new? I mean Stuff like that is subjected to the FBI hacking in. I mean just think about it, Computers, satleites, radio/sound waves and basicly everything that is electronic that has a speeker, chips or a screen is subjected to be hacked into by the Goverment. So what makes OnStar different?

And have you noticed that almost all GM cars have Onstar in it? and GM is the most popular car compony in the US....Somethings fishy

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

, I loved that movie.....or kate actualy, but either way she was hot in the movie!

Onstar to be used by the FBI?
Oh my, not good.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
First, I would never buy an american car ANYWAY, the only one I would MAYBE consider (if say, I already had 10 cars and wanted a new one...just for fun..) something by Cadillac, maybe a CTS, or the next roadster (forgot the name...). Besides that, American car are crap, IMO. Even Cadillac isn't what it used to be.

Secondo, Lysergic, I hear ya my friend, no GPS thingie for us getho boyz lol... We're too old school for this.

And real men never get lost (lol..)

Last but not least, GeniusSage, get a life please...

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
No outraged replies from any GM car owners yet??? Strange...

Here's one. My mother drives a 1998 Pontiac Montana equipped with a built in cellular phone and On-Star. We have used this many times on trips, and the service is great. It concerns me though that she may run into an accident one day, and I now am hoping for the system to succeed, rather than fail, due to what I just read. EVeryone in my family uses the SmartTag system also, I wonder exactly what type of surveillance they are doing through this, and fairly soon we will be able to use these tags all up and down the I-95 Corridor, instead of just VA, due to every state combining their own systems into one. The only problem is, when all systems combine, surveillance may take place from state to state, thus further involving the F.B.I. I have an aquaintance in the F.B.I Technology Department, I'll ask him and get back to you.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeniusSage

You and I obviously disagree here. Its not the best movie ive seen but I really enjoyed it. I liked the whole look and story of the movie.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Glad I keep up to date with my Thomas Bros. Guide.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I wouldnt doubt it...also- i think japan or whoever makes these things are spying on us through chips in Tamagotchis...

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
OnStar and other systems are rip offs, they only work for emergencies only, like a total of 5 times, which u have to pay a lot of money for each use..like a hundred or so per use..something like that, it cost too much money, and then it shuts off if u get into an accident and like ur air bag pops out or for any reason, it gets locked and u cant get it to work again..wtf?

DoD

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I don't see this as suprising at all as big brother is everywhere just look at the phone keywords system fro example

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join