It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Nasa to abandon Hubble telescope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Since Nasa has halted all space shuttle missions to service the Hubble Telescope, it will lead to the Telescope becoming useless in a couple of years.

"This is a sad day," said Nasa's chief scientist John Grunsfeld, but "the best thing for the space community".

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
"in a couple of years. "

Could this just be a coincidence? Or is it timed just so we can't have pictures of an impending objects approch?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
great call energy!

2004 + 2 (couple) = 2006
2006=nuclear holocaust?

strange....
Really is sad though, maybe they'll sale the shuttles on e-bay.
- Tass

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Hubble would be a rather useless early-warning system. Thats not what its designed or used for.

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by Kano]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Deep space exploration. Viewing far off nebulas and quasars. Unfortunatley the images are hundreds to thousands of years old so it only provides for understanding of fundamental of astronomy and how stuff works, not what it is right now.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
i thoughet i heard they were going to replace it ?

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
It is indeed a pity that Hubble is going to be retired, after a shaky start she's done some amazing work.

But if thats what is required to fund further expansion into space, I'm all for it.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Wasn't there or isn't there a new telescope being built that will be 'the' replacement for Hubble?
I remember reading something on this but will find the article if can.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Wasn't there or isn't there a new telescope being built that will be 'the' replacement for Hubble?
I remember reading something on this but will find the article if can.

regards
seekerof

ya, thats what i was refering too, someone posted this in another thread (who was making it, eta)

jra

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Well the Hubble has been great, but once man gets a foothold on the moon, we can build bigger and better telescopes on the surface. Seems worth it in the long run. Plus the shuttles are only going to be used for completing the ISS now from what i remember reading, so there isn't anything else they can use to upgrade Hubble.

tr

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
O.k. So we put a man on the moon. Or Mars. Will that man be able to do what the hubble can? No. More empty Bush Promises. I suspect Haliburton will get the contract.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't mind that this old telescoop goes out of the governement and I hope now civilian groups can use it know. So now we can go to the moon and build a better one on the moon. so for more money for the new plans sell it to the community

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
They are going to replace it with the James Webb Space Telescope but it was originally ment to go up in 2010. I don't know if NASA will bump up the deployment since the Hubble will become obsolete in a couple of years.

new topics

top topics

join