It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economic Security IS Homeland Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So why hasn't this administration made that connection? In a related question, Why does there not exist a independent media alternative, since the corporate media is so obviously complicit?
Here are some statistics that are intolerable for a country considered to be the world leader in so many things, prosperity being the foremost:

1) 1.3 million Americans slipped below the poverty line in the last year.
2) 12% of Americans now live in poverty.
3) 2.3 million Americans have lost their jobs in the last two years.
4) The biggest growth in uninsured families in the past 20 years.
5) Families with a household income of over $75K growing in the above category.
6) Union busting is now in season.
7) Economic growth is the weakest that it's been in 50 years.
8) Unemployment Benefits - NY Times "Bush ensures that more than 800,000 Americans will lose their benefits on December 28, with 95,000 losing benefits each week after that. Merry Christmas."

Now don't you think the corporate whores who run the Media should be covering this economic meltdown non stop, implementing the same graphics & slogan teams that thought up " Showdown with Iraq" or " Battle for Liberty"?

posted on Dec, 3 2002 @ 10:56 PM
link   
according to William, the media isn't controlled by the government, so, they must not be as well informed as you, even though they have millions to invest in research.(PURE SARCASM)
I'm with you BT.

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Frankly B-T, the internet is as near as you'll get to an "independent" media paltform, in this day and age, and that's very much at the mercy of huge corporate interests.
It's much more, I think, a level of apathy among the public.
The figures you mention - and the much more worrying figures with regard to state and federal debt, budget deficits, corporate closures, corporate corruption, the perilous stgate of the diollar etc - are all there -freely available. But, people seem to have lost the desire, or the intellectual ability, to join the dots.

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 12:10 AM
link   
As for media being "controlled" by the government: not, I think, in any very direct way except in so far as the two organisations are both dominated by much the same set of moneyed interest groups.
It's often difficult to believe that the US mainstream media are "controlled" by anyone nowadays- headless chickens whose only imperative is to fill up air-time.
However, given that the media are owned by powerful public corporations, managed by fat-cats with stock options, and largely resourced by consumer-oriented advertising, we can rest assured that they will do nothing to rock the boat.

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I think it is more linked to the fact that our economy is entirely driven by investors...it doesn't matter what a company does, if it loses credibility it is bankrupt. (marketed companies that is).

Look at AT&T, it provides a great service, it is not in debt, but its credibility on the market sucks (sucked they recently did a 1 for 5 'merge' and quintupled their stock's price) and that has been harmful to the company.

In 1929 when the stock market crashed, it crashed MAINLY because of panic, too many selling too fast. I think that Bush and the Media and Greenspan all know this. Which is why after 9-11 for the first time in (forever?) the markets were closed to prevet total collapse due to this panic.

It is the same with if you see people saying WE NEED ACTION NOW BEFORE ANOTHER DEPRESSION, the government has less control over that then we think, it really is ALL about us, and if they were saying that, we'd be in a depression so fast...

...it is my belief, that the whole country should just lie, and lie and lie and lie until everything is a GREAT price on the market, and with that leg up let things go as they will.

I mean, look at a Boiler Room, technically, everyone should break even (problem is the scamers run off with EVERYTHING), now if some people leave (assuming they leave because the price went down and THUS sold for less than they went in with), the people that stay should make MORE money...why doesn't this happen in the market? Because the more people leave, the less credibility the companies have, and consequently the lower their price goes, and panic kills it.

My idea has to be the most insane in the world, because someone surely would blow the whistle, but in a perfect world, they should hide any economic problems for us, it is seriously the ONLY thing on earth, where the problem goes away by itself when you DON'T pay attention to it.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
As for media being "controlled" by the government: not, I think, in any very direct way except in so far as the two organisations are both dominated by much the same set of moneyed interest groups.
It's often difficult to believe that the US mainstream media are "controlled" by anyone nowadays- headless chickens whose only imperative is to fill up air-time.
However, given that the media are owned by powerful public corporations, managed by fat-cats with stock options, and largely resourced by consumer-oriented advertising, we can rest assured that they will do nothing to rock the boat.

Exactly the same way I see it: two adjacent seats at the same board room table, the US media & our current Administration.
The problem with the 'independent Internet' as a source of knowledge is that, very simply, we are a higher evolved group than the masses. We're schooled and comfortable with it. In the US, the leading ISP is AOL. AOL filters content in order to control perception; people putting 'Democrat National Comittee' into the AOL search engine were returned a 'Page not Found' during the lead in to the 2000 vote. Prior to the Nov.5 vote, they had Bush's face on the home page for a SOLID FREAKIN' WEEK!!!. Of course, AOL-Time Warner has a deep friend in Michael Powell - that nepotistic hire that heads the FCC, who has paved the way for the monopoly, and he could not have gotten his position unless Bush was installed.
So those simpeltons who get a free AOL sign up CD every week are not online saavy, though they are online.

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 09:15 AM
link   
....the biggest alarm going unheard: the vast number of states/municipalities/counties either on the brink of or that have gone BANKRUPT.
Increasing your cash outlay by Billions a day to pay for wars & corporate welfare, while cutting your intake by billions a day via corporate tax concessions and tax cuts for the wealthy and lossed revenue in response to protectionist anti-free trade measures, is no way to manage a country's economic well being.

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 09:20 AM
link   
So, you're an AOL user BT? I mean, how do you know so much about it?
(just know I used their web search engine, no AOL required, and searche for 'Democrat National Comittee' - which came up 1st, but the RNC came up 2nd
)

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You didn't see the articles related to their filtering at the server level without folks knowledge? I'll get you the links. I'll use AOL right after I burn my Comp/Sci diploma!

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 01:50 PM
link   
US Labor Secretary Elaine Chao: "November should see a gain of 38,000 jobs"
Actuality: 40,000 jobs lost in November, a 2000 count increase over the number of jobs lost in October, and even more frightening, a swing of 78,000 from where our Labor Secretary said it was going to be, to where it is!!!!!
Our National unemployment is now at 6%; my home state announced a $2 billion deficit, and NYC is near 10% unemployment.

Asking the ex-CEO of Alcoa (responsible for some of the worst environmental disasters & violations in the US) and Mr. Enron Economist to resign is going to do......what? Give the impression you're trying to do something to get our economy out of the toilet? Bush's disastrous economic policies aren't going anywhere, just two of the clowns who trumpeted them.

Quotes:
"This report suggests the U.S. economy is deteriorating," Moody's Investors Service top economist John Lonski said.

"These numbers are a complete shock and give the impression of an economy toppling over again," said Ram Bhagavatula, chief economist at Royal Bank of Scotland Financial Markets.

Spin:

Chao:"The economy is out of its doldrums but as to where it's going over the next few months, it's still a little questionable."

Ari Fleisher: "We are out of the recession."

How long are they going to be allowed to lie about the economic situation of the US, you may ask? Till media advertising drops so significantly that the corporate media will be FORCED to turn a critical eye towards their government benefactors.

(Turned on C-Span....caught Ari's press briefing......one question about the unemployment figures........all the rest about Iraq.....reached into my desk for my imaginary .45......shot the TV)

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 09:22 AM
link   
My latest chant/rant is "It's the Media, Supid!"

Invest in gold.

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Bush is insain!

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time

Now don't you think the corporate whores who run the Media should be covering this economic meltdown non stop, implementing the same graphics & slogan teams that thought up " Showdown with Iraq" or " Battle for Liberty"?

You must not be reading the Wall Street Journal, or the business section of the New York Times, or even watching Lou Dobbs on CNN. Very common, reoccurring themes.

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by William

Originally posted by Bout Time

You must not be reading the Wall Street Journal, or the business section of the New York Times, or even watching Lou Dobbs on CNN. Very common, reoccurring themes.

My daily doses, William!
WSJ is as Right Wing a rag as can possibly be imangined, I haven't decided if they are 'A' or 'B' to Rev.Moon's right wing rag in their level of whoredom. Any time you question the WSJ's whorerishness, just think of two words: John Fund!
The NYT is much better, if for nothing else but Paul Krugman's brilliance. William Safire had some glimmers there when he was up in arms over Poindexter's new department, but sank back quickly into his Bush apologist role.
Lou Dobbs is a corporotist who does still have a moral fiber to him; especially when his beloved Andersen was being scapegoated over the Enron conspirators/Bush pals. Though he does often try, he can't avoid talking about the meltdown....it is 'Moneyline' after all. Where you watching when the whole AOL/Time Warner thing started to gain exposure? Boy, did reader mail get censored in a heart beat!
Open a town paper, look at local TV news.....if you can quote the economy getting 20% of the coverage that the war marketing campaign is getting, I'd be completely suprised.
Watch a Ari Feisher press confrence...look at the sheep, except Helen Thomas, ask desired question...look at him pick the ones that he knows will do what he needs.

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 09:05 AM
link   
More People on Welfare After Years of Declines
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

"The Health and Human Services Department has not reported a national rise in the welfare figures since the rolls began falling in 1994.

In May, the government said welfare caseloads fell slightly at the end of 2001, though updated numbers now on the department's Web site show that the caseloads actually crept up in the final months of last year, in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks.

The department has not called attention to the revision."

AND

"It was also possible that many people were no longer eligible for assistance because they had used up their time on welfare, he said, or that the states had made it difficult to apply for help."

The Bush WhiteHouse Response:
"Steve Barbour, a spokesman for the Health and Human Services Department's welfare agency, said the administration had no comment on the report and would release its own figures in late January."

www.nytimes.com...

They lie to avoid the reality of hardship Americans are facing due to their Oligarchy leaning economic policies, and when caught.......they say that they'll "Get back to Us" with their own manipulated numbers.

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 10:19 PM
link   
IMO, we should do what JFK announced that he was going to do (which is one of the reasons he was assassinated)...Disban the Federal Reserve & take the control of money out of coporate hands & put it back into the government, as the Constitution intended.

With the control of currency & its value in the hands of CIVILIAN BANKING concerns, this country has spiraled into an ever-increasing pit of unpayable debt that seems to be reaching a breaking point...But you can rest assured that those Bankers won't allow the American economy to collapse *completely* because it would ruin their own money tree.

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
.....by an AWOL pResident landing on an Air Craft Carrier int the passenger seat, back to our economic knees being taken out by unsound policy.

Jobs and the Jobless
PRESIDENT BUSH used the latest unemployment figures to pitch his tax cut in California last week, but the grim new numbers must have caused palpitations back at the White House. The unemployment rate ticked up two-tenths of a percentage point, to 6 percent. April was the third straight month the economy had shed jobs -- although the rate of loss has thankfully slowed somewhat. As disturbing as the overall total of 8.8 million unemployed is, the more worrying fact is that almost 2 million have been without work for 27 weeks or more and that the average length of unemployment is almost 20 weeks, the highest since 1984. An additional 4.4 million Americans have dropped out of the labor force because they haven't found work (and therefore aren't counted among the unemployed), and 4.8 million are employed part time, not by choice but because they can't find full-time work. The number of jobs is at its lowest point in 41 months.

Another is that if Mr. Bush is so worried about the unemployed -- and about boosting the economy -- the administration and its allies in Congress ought to support an extension of federal unemployment benefits, set to expire at the end of this month. Workers typically get about 26 weeks of state unemployment benefits, replacing on average 38 percent of wages. But in economic hard times, the federal government has stepped in to provide additional, temporary help after state benefits run out. During the recession of the early 1990s, for example, the federal program lasted 27 months and gave workers 20 weeks of extra benefits. The program that will expire this month was enacted 15 months ago, when unemployment was lower than it is today, and provides 13 weeks of extra benefits.

Congress has already extended the program once -- albeit belatedly, after it had expired -- and it ought to do so again. More than 43 percent of workers are exhausting their state benefits without finding work. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities estimates that more than 1 million people are without unemployment benefits entirely, having run through both their state and federal benefits. That suggests it's too soon to pull the plug. In addition to the question of compassion, unemployment insurance represents a particularly efficient form of economic stimulus, because it goes to people who will spend it immediately. A study by the financial research group Economy.com put unemployment spending at the top of the list of stimulative measures, estimating that each dollar spent on the program would boost the economy by $1.73; by contrast, reducing the taxation of dividends would return just 9 cents on the dollar, the study found. An argument against extending benefits is that it would reduce incentives for the unemployed to find work. But as Federal Reserve Board Chairman Alan Greenspan told Congress, when jobs are evaporating, the limits "almost surely ought to be eased to recognize the fact that people are unemployed because they couldn't get a job, not because they don't feel like working." Mr. Greenspan made his remarks in November. Since then, the economy has lost nearly half a million jobs.

www.washingtonpost.com...

So Far, Postwar Boom Is A Bust

The hope had been that a fast and successful war in Iraq would set off an economic boom that would quickly translate into falling unemployment for American households and fatter order books for U.S. businesses. But so far, the boom has been a bust.

U.S. tanks rolled into Baghdad in the second week of April, but the military victory did not stem a wave of new job layoffs in the United States.

With April's job cuts, total layoffs over the past three months topped a half-million workers, a performance usually seen only during the depths of a recession.

www.cbsnews.com...

top topics

join