It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Really In Fort Knox?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Im not sure if there are other threads regarding this in some way, but if there are Im sorry. But what could really be i Fort Knox besides gold? To my understanding the dollar isn't backed by gold anymore, so what purpose does it have? Im sure there is still some gold left, but nothing compared to what was held there back in ww2.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I understand there's no gold there anymore at all. It could just be used as a regular military base now.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Apperently it's an armor center and home to the army recruiting command.

Fort Knox

Juliet

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Around 4,000 tons of gold are still held in reserve at Fort Knox (more correctly, at the Federal Bullion Depository that happens to be located on the grounds of Fort Knox) as a national asset, even though it's not used as direct backing for currency. There are also various valuable items stored there (copies of the Gutenberg Bible, among other things), and valuables held for other governments (the royal regalia of Hungary was there until we returned it in 1978).

There's also the US Army Armor Center (which probably doesn't in any way decrease the security of the FBD).

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
There is another thread inquireing about Ft Knox, yes. But again I have no problem handleing questions on the place. Yes gold has been moved from the Knox Vault, no it is not empty. The military channel had an exlisive special onthe Gold Vault, and was even allowed a sneak peak (literally), of inside the inner vault, but only a little bit, as the door was not opened all the way for security reasons.

The purpose of the base over all, is to train the 19 series MOS of the US Army, Kilos and Deltas. Back when I went there during my first enlistment we called the training OSUT (One Station Unit Training). Both Scouts/19D and Tankers 19/k under gone OSUT, now in addition in keeping witht he mobility tradition of Cavalry and Armor, Strikers are now going to be trained there as well.

Changes in the cycle is now 19s are no longer under going OSUT, that changed shortly after my second tour through Knox, with my second enlistment. Evidently they will now go through Basic at the Infantry training bases and then attend AIT in Knox for theior "Scout skills".

Also "what could really be i(n) Fort Knox besides gold", is the only MOUT Facility in the US and Army for that matter, where Armored vehicles can train (ie destroy structures), in an urban enviornment. Known as MOUT Zussman, the facilty is a small village on it's own, and even impressed a General with it's high tech simulated sounds, and smells along with video cameras for all angles within rooms and areas around buildings.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Hey thanks guys, i think u guys covered it pretty well there. its nice having so many diverse people here on Ats who all know a little bit of just about everyting. thanks for the info

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
twinkies..they have twinkies there...lots of them, with cream fillin.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by bgaty

Even people who've worked in there couldn't answer that question completely so I know no one here can.

Nobody knows what all is in there at any given time, or what comes and goes from the place.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
10 1933 Double Eagles (Augustus St. Gaudens) that SHOULD be given back to the family they were taken from.

We should go back to the gold or silver standard. DAMN THE FEDERAL RESERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUR MONEY IS WORTHLESS PAPER/METAL!!

Jasn

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'm a collector of odd things so anyone who thinks their paper money is worthless, please U2 me for my address so you can send it to me. I'll reimburse you for the postage and will even send you a Hallmark card to show my appreciation.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee
I'm a collector of odd things so anyone who thinks their paper money is worthless, please U2 me for my address so you can send it to me. I'll reimburse you for the postage and will even send you a Hallmark card to show my appreciation.

Thanks

haha smartass

Worthless as in, it's not backed by ANYTHING. It is just paper.

Unlike say a Silver Certifcate that you could (once upon a time) return to any bank and get your dollar (or value of silver certificate) worth of silver.

Our money is just paper with no real value because it's backed by nothing.

Jasn

I do have a silver certificate I'll send you, if you don't have one.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
What our money SHOULD look like. Notice bottom of bill.

Five Dollars in silver payable to the bearer on demand. Notice something else missing?? No federal reserve stamp of satan on it.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Oooo pretty bill, it looks so real and reminds me of the guy ringing up $600.00 worth of services at a strip club using bills he printed on his computer.

I've actually heard the argument a lot about how our money is worthless and not backed by anything, there was a show on History Channel about the Federal reserve and all that stuff. Gotta love the History channel, it's taught me more than my old Social Studies teachers ever did, that's for sure

Me, I guess I'm just simple minded though because to my thinking, I can take my worthless paper money that isn't backed by so much as a grain of sand on the beach... and I can buy food, pay bills, eat a whopper with cheese at Burger King... and as long as I can do all that with my "worthless" money, then I'm good to go

top topics

join