It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gosford Glyphs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I found the following link today. It is interesting because this is the first I have heard of the Gosford Glyphs. Gosford is located about an hour and a half north of Sydney.

There are a number of theories associated with the glyphs. I don't think anyway really knows who craved them. A mystery on our doorstep...

www.unexplainedaustralia.com... at.9

(sorry having problems with the link)

Click onto Ancient Mysteries

[edit on 26/8/2007 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Hi Lady of the Lake,

I knew there were Aboriginal carvings around Gosford but had no idea about these Egyptian looking glyphs.

I live in Kariong and there is a walking track at the end of my street that goes into the Brisbane Water National Park. The track goes all the way down the mountain (a small mountain!) to Point Clare, Tascott and Koolewong. I moved into this area only 4 months ago and have been planning to go on a walk.

I just wanted to thank you for posting this as I will certainly plan my walk for next Saturday now that I know that this could be the track that perhaps leads to the glyphs.

I will let you know if I happen to locate them

grateful Res

[edit on 26-8-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Thank you. I would be interested to know if you find this site and what you discover.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Lady of the Lake,

Just did a little search for some info on exact location etc and found this

donsmaps.com...

It appears they are forgeries...but I still want to check them out.

Res

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Here's some links you might find interesting.

Australian Petroglyphs and Artifacts

Australian Archaeological Anomalies

www.science-frontiers.com

More than likely a lot are hoax's but even if only one or two are authentic it would be pretty amazing. I personally wouldnt have too much of a problem believing that Phoenicians could have reached Australia and possibly left evidence behind.
Seem to recall reading an article about a Phoenician outpost/colony that was discovered somewhere in Queensland, i'll see if i can find a link for you, it was a long time ago.

[edit to add this]

Here it is. Interesting but it hasnt been authenticated let alone had any professional research conducted. Most researchers are treating it as a hoax.

Phoenicia.org, This is an article claiming that a site at Sarina in Queensland was established by phoenicians.

The Freshwater Point site is one of many around Australia's coastlines and it is almost an exact copy of Tyre of Phoenician legend. The east harbour jetty is a typical Phoenician loading platform of granite stone set in furnace-slag cement, some 400 metres in length by 30 metres width by 5 metres high, running back to a freshwater spring and reservoir -- one of two on the isthmus relative to adjacent to open cut mines accessing gold, copper, metacinnabar, epidote, arfedsonite, etc with associated slag heaps and artifacts with the usual Bel altars on the skyline.

[edit on 26/8/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
can someone please post a pic of the glyphs in question. this is interesting indeed i have never heard of them before but i have heard of the aboriginal ones. i presume the glyphs are on stone, are they in a cave or under shelter or just on the side of boulders/rock?

if they were outside on their own it may be a form of map/directions or just someone being creative a long, long time ago.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

The second link in my first post "Australian Archaeological Anomalies" has pictures, scroll down to the New South Wales page. Not sure if any of them are of the Gosford Glyphs but there are others of heiroglyphs.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Agent Violet

If you follow the instructions in my post you can find the link that will take you to the Gosford glyphs.

[edit on 27/8/2007 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Here's a forum with quite a few pics :

Glyphs.

Enjoy.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hi Mojo and Lexion,

thanks for the extra info on this subject.

cheers
Res

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Another alternative is that while not original ancient writings by stranded Egyptians, they may be modern carvings by an Egyptian loving society such as the Rosicrucians. Although the jumbled pattern of heiroglyphs is certainly below the abilitys of the A.M.O.R.C. Is there a complete translation of the text? Maybe it says "O'Doyle Rules!" or maybe it's a magical script by an occult society?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Hi Guys I am the Administrator of Unexplained Australia.com

I noticed a few visitors coming from Above top secret regarding The Gosford Glyphs and just wanted to give you a bit more information if you have not checked it out already?

I have studied the Gosford Glyphs for a few years now and I have several pages on our website on them. Plus pictures and a video.

Check out these pages below:

www.unexplainedaustralia.com... For our initial story on the glyphs..

www.unexplainedaustralia.com... For a more in depth analysis of the site..

www.unexplainedaustralia.com... Scroll down for Unexplained Australia's Gosford Hieroglyphs Video

unexplainedaustralia.com... For our picture gallery of the Gosford glyphs.

Thanks guys

Murray
www.unexplainedaustralia.com

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Murray,
Thank you !!!

Very interesting site,
with a VERY nice owner.

As we peruse your site,
take a look around ATS.

Methinks you'll find it int-
eresting and fit in quite
nicely.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hi there, I recall a thread already here on ATS where I believe these glyphs were already discussed and determined to be "jibberish" so to say...I wish I knew how to read hierogliphics to know if that is true. I found the topic very interesting. But yeah some other member here at ATS claimed to have deciphered the glyphs and stated that they didn't make any since. Anyone else know of the thread I'm reffering to? Well, I'm personally no expert so I'm certainly not going to dismiss this find for now I'll just enjoy the story and the pictures, I think it's really cool to imagine Egyptians or some sect influenced by Egyptians making their way to Australia...pretty cool if you ask me. Any info on local stories about the origin of the glyphs?

[edit on 5-9-2007 by cynical572]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by unexplainedaustralia

Hi Murray thanks for those links. slightly off topic but what is your take on the alleged Phoenician ruins at Sarina in Queensland.

btw make sure to have a good look around while your here, i'm sure there are many topics that would interest you.

Cheers mojo.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hi again guys, I have visited ATS on many occasions but have not signed up till yesterday. I intend to pop in regularly.

Re: The Phoenician ruins, I have not heard much about them I intend to check it out when I have time which is never
The Gympie Pyramid mystery also is one topic I am very interested in atm. I don't dismiss the possibility that ancient explorers ever visited Australia.

Also very interesting is the evidence more recently that European countries other than the British (ie Ctn Cook) were not the first to "discover" the East Coast of Australia, seems that possibly the Portuguese or Spanish may have made it here before him?
And of course the Historians are dismissing it completely out of hand.

Thanks for checking out our site
Murray
www.unexplainedaustralia.com

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Murray great to hear you have decided to register here and thank you so much for sharing. Very interesting.

The Gympie Pyramid mystery is also very interesting. It would be great to hear from anyone else here who may have information.

Like you I beieve we shouldn't dismiss the possibility that ancient explorers visited Australia, well before our recorded history. There are too many pieces of the puzzle that don't add up.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cynical572
Hi there, I recall a thread already here on ATS where I believe these glyphs were already discussed and determined to be "jibberish" so to say...I wish I knew how to read hierogliphics to know if that is true.

I can read them to some extent (I have some books on translating hieroglyphs), and yes they're gibberish.

Here's a page that claims the park service saw someone with a chisel creating at least one of them (or trying to):
donsmaps.com...

They conatcted a professor who reads Egyptian hieroglyphs, and this is his take on it:

Photographs of the hieroglyphs taken in 1983 were sent to Prof. Nageeb Kanawati, head of the Department of Egyptology at Macquarie University, Sydney. Part of his reply to the NPWS reads: "I examined [the photographs] and think that the engravings are the work of someone who perhaps visited Egypt or saw some postcards of Egyptian monuments and wished to have some graffiti of what he saw. It is true that most of the signs are Egyptian, and two names of kings may be recognized, but the whole thing does not make sense at all. Simply a decorative graffiti using Egyptian signs."

That jives with my reading... there aren't any real "words" there (the cartouches of the pharoahs are incorrectly made, though the names are "spelled" correctly).

And apparently people continue to add "Egyptian hieroglyphs" to the panel.

The "translated story" that is associated with the hieroglyphs is not correct (because the hieroglyphs don't actually say anything.)

The obvious mistake made in this hoax is that the ones writing it think of hieroglyphs as a "picture language" and not "the pictures are syllables of a language and it's actually real writing." Egyptian was a very formal language -- it would have begun with the name of the writer and his titles and any time it mentioned a pharoah, there are certain formulas that would be with the name (depending on if he was alive or dead.)

Was it made by a semi-literate Egyptian? The evidence is against this, because a semi-literate Egyptian would at least know how the letters of his alphabet were written and would know that the scarab is ALWAYS shown with six legs (scarab was a beetle and an important religious symbol. Showing it with four legs is like showing a Christian cross as a single horizontal line " - ").

The carving of Anubis is again not authentic, since he's usually shown with a staff (walking stick) or short crook unless he is performing a ceremonial function. The ankh on the glyphs is improperly drawn. No Egyptian (no matter how illiterate) would ever make that kind of mistake.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Byrd]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Hi Byrd cannot disagree with anything you have written there. When I started to learn Egyptian Hieroglyphics you notice right away that the Gosford Glyphs are fake. They make no dam sense. And the whole inscription is a jumbled mess. And this guy "White 96" that so many people refer back to has tried to distance himself from the original article ever since.

He really should have done his homework

Murray
Unexplained Australia.com

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by unexplainedaustralia
Hi Byrd cannot disagree with anything you have written there. When I started to learn Egyptian Hieroglyphics you notice right away that the Gosford Glyphs are fake. They make no dam sense. And the whole inscription is a jumbled mess. And this guy "White 96" that so many people refer back to has tried to distance himself from the original article ever since.

He really should have done his homework

Murray
Unexplained Australia.com

(chuckle) You're kinder than I was in my (private) assessment. But it's good to know that you took the trouble to learn real hieroglyphics and figure out it was nonsense. So many folks don't take the first step of researching things.

BTW, fascinating stuff on your site about the thylacenes and dingos. That's deserving of a post in the science forum.

[edit on 7-9-2007 by Byrd]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join