It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PAM contains PROPELLANT?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
OK, just for the record, I am quite bombed. I have had my fill of the Haiti UFO Hoax, and was just about to grill me a steak on my gas grill. As always, I gave my grill a liberal shot of PAM like I always do, just so things don't stick. Then, for some strange reason, I read the "Ingredients Panel." Perhaps, ATS makes me question EVERYTHING nowadays. There it was, listed as an ingredient: PROPELLANT.

Living in Florida, I have often sprayed this stuff on the grille of my car so that Love Bugs don't stick. But for some strange reason, I never gave it a second thought. Here is a slightly blurry photo since I can't figure out my Macro settings right now.

Of course, Grain Alcohol poses no risk since I have been drinkin' like a fish all day. So, my long winded question.....what is "propellant?"

regards...kk

Mod Edit: Image Hotlinking – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It's that damn rocket fuel they put in it to give it that extra boost of non-stick goodness.

Seriously though, propellant could be compressed nitrogen that will force the oil out of the can.

I'll see if I can find out what Pam uses, but it's probably something basic and innocuous.

EDIT: Cooking sprays use nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide as propellants.
I tried to find a full list of ingredients on the ConAgra web site, but nothing.
Wiki to the rescue.........
en.wikipedia.org...

See the section under Propellant.

[edit on 25/8/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Pam uses tetrachlorodifluoroethane as the propellant.

There's actually a Medline cite that talks about it because they were looking for toxicity in a medical case.

It's a non-stinging fast evaporating spray that is sometimes used in spray on antiseptics. Not sure I'd want to purposely inhale it, or consume mass quantities, but probably very safe in tiny doses you see when spraying a frying pan.

[edit on 25-8-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
if it is in a compressed can it has a "propellant" in it

it is what makes it "propell" out of the can, like a "propell"er moves a boat through water.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I just sent an e-mail to ConAgra asking them what they use as a propellant in Pam.

I'll post the reply here, if I get a reply......

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

they're going to tell you that it is because they wat the PAM liquid to actually come out of the can, or they just might tell you to use the spritz PAM if you're worried about all this propellant getting in your food.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
It's that damn rocket fuel they put in it to give it that extra boost of non-stick goodness.

ROFLMAO....That is too funny...you made my day. And thanks for the effort to contact Con Agra. I am kurious about their response. Plus, the nitrous oxide part could save me oodles in unnecessary dental visits.

And hat-tip to Badge01 for the technical term:

Originally posted by Badge01

Yuck...sounds scary.

Perhaps I'll just start smearing some good old fashioned butter on things prior to cooking. I mean what harm could genetically manipulated, hormone infused bovine products cause? Especially if I'm cooking steak!

Thanks to you all. I am glad my post got moved to BTS. I haven't spent much time down here. This side of the tracks seem to have a much better sense of humor than the 'Reynolds Wrap" crowd up in ATS.
Sometimes I feel that the world is full of hemroids and I am the only one with a tube of Preparation H. Plus, look at all those cool emoticons.

Look forward to more on this and others. Thanks for making me feel right at home.

regards...kk

[edit on 26-8-2007 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Yeah, I had switched to PAM when trying to cut calories, and use it mostly to cook egg whites. I spray it on and then wipe it off with a paper towel, leaving a thin film. The propellant for a one second spray is probably a very small amount.

But as one poster said, I think it's available as a 'spritzer', i.e. a pump spray in a non-pressurized bottle.

BTW, that long sounding name is merely what they call a 'food grade alcohol'.

What's in PAM? According to some sites, it's a combination of various oils and lecithin, plus the alcohol in the propellant.

Hmmm. Makes you wonder what the oils are and if they can become rancid.

Might be a good idea to switch to butter but use a very small amount and then wipe it off except for a thin film.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Surprise, surprise, surprise........

ConAgra sent me an e-mail this morning about the propellant they use in Pam.
When you say you're cookin' with gas, your right.

I cut and pasted the entire mail below for your viewing pleasure.

Thank you for your recent email. Our propellants are listed on our can- propane & isobutane are currently used in Canada. I hope this helps,

Renée Rochefort
Consumer Communications
ConAgra Foods Canada Inc.

-----Original Message-----
Posted At: August 25, 2007 11:30 PM
Posted To: International Consumer Affairs
Conversation: Customer Inquiry Product Information PAM
Subject: Customer Inquiry Product Information PAM

Date/Time : 2007/08/25 22:29:40
Name : Mr. Anx Disorder

So there you go.
propane & isobutane

Don't leave the can sitting on the stove or you could meet your God sooner than anticipated.

Edit: Inadvertent bbcode

[edit on 27/8/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Well thanks for the follow-up. Me thinks me gonna just get a cheap spray bottle and fill it with olive oil.

Thanks....I had no idea. Wonder if they will let you on a plane with this stuff? Remember the trick where you can turn a can of hairspray into a flame thrower with just a lighter?

later......thanks again.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Great job and initiative and tenacity!

I gave you a star.

I wonder if Pam aerosol propellant in the US, with different restrictions, might vary from the two chemicals they specified for Canada?

At any rate, we're switching to pump spray or a trace of butter, thanks to your excellent work on this.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Well thank-you Badge01, where there's a will, there's a way.

I keep a mason jar with a little bit of pure sunflower oil in the fridge, and it has a little brush in it. I just lightly brush the pan and it works like a charm.
Also by keeping it in the fridge you don't have to worry about it going rancid, and it's always handy.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I like to call what you did a type of 'Reality Hacking'.

That means getting into the underlying meanings of things. Root-cause analysis of everyday events.

For instance an example I like to use is how food is stored in a typical grocery store.

The good food is usually found around the outside edges. Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Dairy, Eggs.

The processed food is in the middle aisles. So for good nutrition, shop primarily along the outside edges.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Yeah, that's how I shop.
I hit the veggie section first and move my way around the entire perimeter.
I scoot into the isles to get the other stuff I need.

Have you noticed all the brand name stuff (ie more expensive) is always at eye level. It's like they think you won't look up to the top or down to the bottom shelves.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Allright already. Would one of you ask the other out for a date or something? Perhaps you could go meet at a grocery store, then back to someone's crib for a demonstration of non-stick liquids.

I think I might have to go back to ATS if this keeps up.

just kidding...kk

[edit on 27-8-2007 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Hey, it was you that started this thread, and I'm taken anyway.

And also, now due to you none of us will ever be able to enjoy the convenience of rocket powered Pam again.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yeah me too, but when Badge01 stated:

I love that technical talk.

I'll go rummage around the kitchen some more for a new topic. BTW, don't even get me started on High Fructose Corn Syrup. I have been leary of that stuff for ages. It is in almost everything.

regards....kk

top topics

join