It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting discovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Apparently The Eurofighter Typhoon has already beaten the F22 - source:

"internatinal AIR POWER REVIEW" - year 2006, issue 20, page 45. - ISNB: 1-880588-91-9 (casebound) or ISBN: 1473-9917.

"two RAF Typhoons deployed to the USA for OEU trails work have been flying against the F-22 at NAS China Lake. There was little suprise that Typhoon, with its world-class agility and high off-boresight missile capability was able to dominate "Within Visual Range" flight.."

(Reply) (Spam)
...but the aircraft did cause a suprise by getting a radar lock on the F22 at a suprisingly long rate. The F-22s cried off, claiming that they were "unstealthed" anyway, although the next day´s scheduled two vs. two BWR engagement was canceled, and "the USAF decided they didn´t want to play any more .

Of course we can only take this at face value, but it could reveal that the Typhoon is more than a match for the F22.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The F-22 does have advantages, no doubt about it. The best bang in the world, if not quite the best bang for buck.

A lot of people seriously underestimate the kit on board the Typhoon for some reason, plus it ties in with the discussion on another thread that any air force worth its salt will figure out how to use its equipment successfully even against supposedly 'vastly' superior opposition.

The Radar lock element of the story seems to be apocryphal and so I don't put too much store by it, but I don't see it as being the impossibility that some believe.

Another thing missing from the story is how many sorties were flown and what is the ratio of Typhoon victories to Raptor victories?

If the Typhoon downed a Raptor after 25 consecutive defeats that would not be nearly so impressive for example.

If there was a high sortie rate and the Typhoon scored 'a' success then nobody should be surprised anyway, what would be a shock would be if the RAF hit rate was greater than, or even equal to the F-22's own hit rate.

That sentence that the Typhoon 'dominated' the WVR fight raised my eyebrow though. I would have expected parity at best, especially as PIRATE is not fitted on the two aircraft deployed.

[edit on 26-8-2007 by waynos]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
If there was a high sortie rate and the Typhoon scored 'a' success then nobody should be surprised anyway, what would be a shock would be if the RAF hit rate was greater than, or even equal to the F-22's own hit rate.

Or I suspect if the Americans saw that they Typoons were getting more hits than they thought they should be doing, in which case I can see them "crying off" to analyse what was going on..

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This old story again? Please use the search function as it has been discussed several times and in my view "debunked". At this time it is nothing more than a sensational (and fictional) report...

The F-22A Raptor and Typhoon have never flow with or against each other...

This thread about he same subject is just further down the page.

Link

[edit on 27-8-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Ah so it claims that the F-22 was outperformed in WVR.
True or not, thats a new claim.

Hey whatever happened to the famed encounter between WVR masters:
Typhoon and the Su-30MKI? Which was more nimble?

Secrecy secrecy!.... Baah!

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Daedalus, I know that the Su-30MKI is maneuverable, but wouldn't it be considered a strike aircraft and therefore inferior in WVR to a dedicated fighter such as the Typhoon?

I think that the Su-35 is a better comparison.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
As westy points out the Typhoon and Raptor have never officially flown off against each other.

Yes they have been at the same airbase , and IF (big IF) they have flown against each other - we the viewing public will never know what happened.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Daedalus, I know that the Su-30MKI is maneuverable, but wouldn't it be considered a strike aircraft and therefore inferior in WVR to a dedicated fighter such as the Typhoon?

I think that the Su-35 is a better comparison.

Shattered OUT...

The MKI is an air-superiority platform.
But is the Su-35 more manueverable than the Su-30MKI?

Yes the engines are better; AL-41F in comparision to the AL-31FP and so I presume a better T/W ratio.

But you must consider the the MKI has an extra pair of eyeballs and in a knife fight that increases your sphere of visibility.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
My moneys on the Su-35 (after Su-37 update). Apparently the Su-30 MKI is more closely related to the Su-35 than the Su-30 MK. I was assuming since the Su-30 MKI was an export to India that it would closely related to the Su-30 MK strike export.

The Su-30 MKI can fill multiple roles including Air Superiority. I stand corrected.

Shattered OUT...

new topics

top topics

join