It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Can You name me one thing the bible tells us not to do or to do; that is pointless or does not help

page: 3
1
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
And when these other countries(that they wanted to be like) would surround them, they would be cut off from all supplies(including food). And because they took on the practices of these other countries and became depraved in their thinking, then when they were surrounded, their depravity led them to do something horrible. That horrible thing was that they were literally starving(and they looked upon their children and killed them and ate them).


It is amazing how presumptuous this God enitiy on what people who are not followers of it will do in a given situtaion.

It seems that this God assumes that should such a situation arise, the parents would eat their own children. From what I have learnt, there are many parents who would rather starve to death then to contemplate eating their children, these unselfish parents would rather have their children eat them then do the reverse.

The power of parental love... seems that this God assumes all others to be immoral and indecent, very presumptuous of it.

Very very interesting.....

[edit on 28-8-2007 by ixiy]




posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ixiy

It is amazing how presumptuous this God enitiy on what people who are not followers of it will do in a given situtaion.



Not presumptuous, He was stating what He knew would happen in their future.

God knows the future, so He was giving a warning to them of their future when they had rejected them. He knows what each individual is capable of and will do in a given situation(because He knows everything that is going to happen before it happens).

Did all the people eat their children, could be but maybe not all did. We aren't told how many did. You are missing the greater point that sin and evil destroy mankind and seperate us from God and make us believe it is alright to act like animals.



posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Through original sin, everyone is deemed apart from God. God hates sin. You assume the identity of sin in Gods eyes. He does not abandon his people though. He sent his being to earth to put into human terms and thoughts, his plan for atonement and salvation.

"Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come."
—Romans 5:12-14

And after all those years, here is a follower of what Christ said, talking to other human beings about the faith. God lives!



posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop:

And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water:

And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times:

And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet:

But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house: and it shall be clean.

Leviticus 14:49-53


I say this biblical cure for leprosy doesn't work



posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by Mrknighttime32
reply to post by madnessinmysoul
 


So they would have to force men to give up their sperm for other women. This sound like a great world. And eventually wouldn't mean just stop producing sperm because eventually they would not be useful. Maybe evolution would take over. No more babies


you're dodging the issue here, this is irrelevant to the discussion. the simple fact is that homosexuality is natural, whether you approve of it or not.

now, nobody has yet to reply to the misogyny point with a good answer (i got one answer that said it wasn't misogyny for a wife to be submissive and a husband to be dominant... but that's just misogyny on its own). the bible is openly sexist, i'm pointing this out as it does not help.

the bible says god > man > woman, how does this help?


Everything has and order even in the animal kingdom The male in most not all is superior to the women. Im not saying that a women is nothing compared to a man because I in no way think like that. But I do believe that if a women and man are married then the man should lead their marriage. Most women I talk to do not want a weak man but a strong man. How that man chooses to lead is up to Him. If the man wants to let his wife work and he sit at home as much as I disagree with this; then that is what he choose to do. But a man has to be a leader. A married women is supposed to have a provider and a protector.

And no this does not mean that women have to sit at home and work. If you had read the post that that I have put earlier, and went to the links. They will show you that the bible is not sexist at. But everything does have and order. (Read the links I have given you feedback on your questions but you have to read what I ask you to to understand)



posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by Mrknighttime32
Yes the bible is amazing.


i disagree.



It shows you so many things in so many different ways.


so much so that it contradicts itself.



I wish you guys would just really read it without the ........


i did, cover to cover. twice.



Like I said at the beginning the bible can help your life in some many ways this is the perfect book that can help you through every situation.


it's far from perfect when it praises genocide, instructs you on slavery practices, and espouses misogyny



Iv every followed the bible then this world would be a much better place.


no, it would be a far worse place. if you yourself actually looked at the bible from an objective view you'd realize this. sure, there are some good things in the bible, but there is far more stuff in there that is outright deplorable.



I am a black man and would be one of the first people to say that slavery is wrong. I told you before the bible does not condone slavery it simply instructs on how slaves should be treated during those times. You are trying to use this point to say that the bible is evil or not perfect. The bible is perfect and does not contradict itself. If you actually understood what it was saying then you would not think so. If you truly have read the bible from cover to cover you would see that ever thing is in order and works side by side.

You hate the bible so much that you are blinded. The same way I used to be. I looked at the bible the same ways you are now.

You have to study it my friend. If you have a question on a verse write it down. Do some research on it. You need to know the context of what it was written in and who it was talking to to understand it.



posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop:

And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water:

And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times:

And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet:

But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house: and it shall be clean.

Leviticus 14:49-53


I say this biblical cure for leprosy doesn't work


You know people were told to do alot of things in the bible. That does not mean that this was the list of ingredients for a cure. When Jesus told the smeared mud on the blind man and told him to go wash his face in the water. This was not the remedy for blindness. The man believed Him and that is was cured Him he had faith in Jesus and was cured.
www.bcbsr.com/survey/jmrcls.html
Here are a list of Jesus fates many people in the bible are cured by faith.



posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
No, people genuinely believed you could cure leprosy using that remedy that includes bird's blood and a bunch of plants. Also the old testament was written as far a 1 millennium before jesus was supposedly born.



posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

Leviticus 14:49-53


I say this biblical cure for leprosy doesn't work


My Pastor taught on this one time. I wish I could remember all that He said about it, but anyway alot of the stuff like this from the Old Testament is there for a several reasons.

The first being that the main focal point of the Bible is the redemption of mankind through the blood of Jesus Christ. So these items and animals and steps mentioned take on symbolic and spiritual significance regarding Jesus and His sacrifice.

The items and animals and steps have physical applications as far as showing how destructive and complicated sin is and that it is an offense to God and He is showing that it must be dealt with.

While leprosy is a real disease it also is used by God to give us a "picture" of sin.

Many verses in the Old Testament are very very deep in their meaning. You cannot just look at the surface of what is said. If a person does then the things mentioned will appear silly and pointless. It's when you dig deep and find the hidden treasure in verses that it brings new meaning to what is being said and it feeds the soul and spirit.



posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Or maybe people are just adding superfluous metaphysical meaning to bronze age superstition.



posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
No, people genuinely believed you could cure leprosy using that remedy that includes bird's blood and a bunch of plants. Also the old testament was written as far a 1 millennium before jesus was supposedly born.



I didnt say jesus said that I was just giving examples of how people where healed by faith. Moses told the people to look upon the brass snake and they would be healed they believed this and were healed. Doing you really think it was the snake that cured them. You guys dont read anything that I post you just write a response



posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
How can people respond to your posts without reading them? The answer is: they do read them, you just don't like the answers you're getting.

The breakdown here is that while you and others of your belief are willing to accept these things from the bible as actual literal truths, those of us who don't believe and are proponents of logic and reason find them to be ludicrous.

When reason answers faith, I think they're speaking different languages. It's the only explanation I can come up with. The words LOOK the same, but they're processed in completely different ways.

It's an interesting puzzle, and this is one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this forum, so that I can try to make sense out of such a massive breakdown in perception of our common language.



posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction
 


What are we saying that is the same. Im just saying when I stat in another post that im not talking about a certain thing and then you are anyone else keeps commenting on it. And trying to turn my words around. Thats why I think that you either did not look at the links I gave or just want to argue, I didnt come to argue my whole point is to show the the bible can help peoples lives wither they believe in God or not. If everyone truly lived by Jesus's teachings this world would be a great place. You guys hate the bible so much it is amazing. I have lived around no believers my whole life, but I still cannot understand. I guess I am here to to understand why you guys think what you think.

But I do believe the bible is perfect and that it has answers for every single situation in life.



posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mrknighttime32
You guys hate the bible so much it is amazing. I have lived around no believers my whole life, but I still cannot understand. I guess I am here to to understand why you guys think what you think.


We don't hate the bible. It's just that after 5 000 years of searching be should have at least found one bit of evidence that points that there is a god or that what the bible says is true, however there hasn't. The bible is mythology, heaven is to the early hebrews what valhalla is to the vikings.


But I do believe the bible is perfect and that it has answers for every single situation in life.


Well, i'm afraid it isn't perfect..



posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mrknighttime32

Everything has and order even in the animal kingdom The male in most not all is superior to the women.

^^^^can you define that? what makes the male superior?

Im not saying that a women is nothing compared to a man because I in no way think like that.

^^^^seems to me that you kinda do think exactly like that


But I do believe that if a women and man are married then the man should lead their marriage.

^^^^^why? cause a couple thousand year old fallable text alludes to this?

Most women I talk to do not want a weak man but a strong man.

^^^^how many women have you talked to? do they want a physically strong man? a mentally strong man? a man that has his emotions in check?

A married women is supposed to have a provider and a protector.

^^^^^it's thinking like this that keeps us moving backwards.....thanks man



you also seem pretty ignorant on the whole hiv thing. there are thousands of reasons why one could contract that disease.
you could go in for a root canal and walk out with hiv.

you're laying down crazy stereotypes in this thread...

simple question...

do you feel the way you feel(you know, man should lead, blah blah) cause the bible tells you to feel this way?

it's a yes or no question

later



posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Personally i believe that this is in fact a truth about the bible that most people tend to ignore or dismiss altogether because of its religous connotations. It provides a very good and well thought out plan on how a society should function in great detail, even if looked at as nothng more than a book of instruction.

on the subject of premarital sex it is considered wrong because it spreads disease and produces unwanted children, who are in turn the first to suffer in many cases, wether it be from having a father who refuses to accept the child, a mother who resents the child and in some cases both the mother and child being ostracized from their family(granted that this doesnt happen nearly as much as it used to). All of which casue emotional damage on at least one of the parties involved. As far as homosexuality is concerned it is considered an abomonation in so much as in the fact it is a union incapable of producing children. And also is at the same risks of passing diiseases.

As to the bible condoning slavery stop and imagine what a slaves life would be like without rules of conduct on them, im not even going to go further with that one as we all know what people are capable of.

As far as it being mysoginistic not so much. Yes it does instruct us that woman is to submit to mans authority, but it also tells us that man is to submit to womans need. It is symbiotic more than anything else, if oyu are the man and your wife is submitting to your lead then your lead cannot take you down a path that does not submit to her need this encompasses all of her needs physical and emotional.

Prohbition on shellfish is just another example of clean living as consuming to much of it is not really good for you, try to keep in mind that they are in fact filter fish.

These are for the most part my personal observations and opinions please dont take them as anything other than.



posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78
 


Sorry I have been gone and not able to reply to post. But I will say this I have not always been a God fearing man I was once just like most of you. So I believe what I believe because of the faith that I have. I should not be alive today, and I believe God has let me live for a reason. Do you think it is just by chance that we exact people are talking to each other about this subject now. Nothing happens by chance.



posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jovi1
Personally i believe that this is in fact a truth about the bible that most people tend to ignore or dismiss altogether because of its religous connotations. It provides a very good and well thought out plan on how a society should function in great detail, even if looked at as nothng more than a book of instruction.

on the subject of premarital sex it is considered wrong because it spreads disease and produces unwanted children, who are in turn the first to suffer in many cases, wether it be from having a father who refuses to accept the child, a mother who resents the child and in some cases both the mother and child being ostracized from their family(granted that this doesnt happen nearly as much as it used to). All of which casue emotional damage on at least one of the parties involved. As far as homosexuality is concerned it is considered an abomonation in so much as in the fact it is a union incapable of producing children. And also is at the same risks of passing diiseases.

As to the bible condoning slavery stop and imagine what a slaves life would be like without rules of conduct on them, im not even going to go further with that one as we all know what people are capable of.

As far as it being mysoginistic not so much. Yes it does instruct us that woman is to submit to mans authority, but it also tells us that man is to submit to womans need. It is symbiotic more than anything else, if oyu are the man and your wife is submitting to your lead then your lead cannot take you down a path that does not submit to her need this encompasses all of her needs physical and emotional.

Prohbition on shellfish is just another example of clean living as consuming to much of it is not really good for you, try to keep in mind that they are in fact filter fish.

These are for the most part my personal observations and opinions please dont take them as anything other than.


Actually this was my whole point of the thread to show people that living by the bible wether they believe in God or not would lead to a better life.



posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrknighttime32
Do you think it is just by chance that we exact people are talking to each other about this subject now. Nothing happens by chance.


If something has the chance of happening, it will, if you give it enough time.
There's small chance that a plane will crash, and the worst ones are series of unfortunate events building up.

Back to OP:
Believe in 'God'...

[edit on 21-9-2007 by AncientVoid]



posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrknighttime32
 


they'd lead a better life... unless they are a woman... because women are taught that they are the "weaker vessel" and should "submit to their husband" and "be in subjugation" to him.



new topics

top topics



 
1
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join