It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You name me one thing the bible tells us not to do or to do; that is pointless or does not help

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I hear alot about wether people believe in the bible or believe in Jesus Christ, God or just about anything that has to do with Christians.

I want you to sit and think for a minute. And if you can find something that goes against what I am saying I would love to discuss it.

When I first started to read the bible I was not a true believer and did not really care to much about it. But after reading I found out that the things that Jesus tells us to do or not to do really will benefit your life in the long run no matter in you believe in him or not. Also other parts in the bible give you great ways of living; which will help lead a very fulfilling and healthy life.

I have brought up this subject from a recent post about Homosexuality. I do not agree with it, but I do not judge anyone for what they have decided to do with their life. I do believe that it is a very unhealthy act. I also feel that it really does not make any sense now if there was a way for two women to have a baby or for two men to have a baby together maybe I would not feel so disturbed about it, because it would be a natural type of thing. But there isn't. Anyway I want you guys to find things in the bible's teachings that would not be good for you our the world in the long run.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm game, how about this from Leviticus:

26:27 And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me;

26:28 Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.

26:29 And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.

I don't believe in this god, and I'm not about to eat my children because of it either.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This is mine.

Lev. 20:13, which says (in the King James Version), "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination."

That passage is frequently cited by the spokesmen of the religious right to explain why they're so adamantly opposed to allowing homosexuals to enjoy full civil rights here in America.

The thing is, though, that the book of Leviticus condemns a lot of things as "abominations." For example, from verses 10-12:

And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Here's another one:

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrknighttime32
But after reading I found out that the things that Jesus tells us to do or not to do really will benefit your life in the long run no matter in you believe in him or not. Also other parts in the bible give you great ways of living; which will help lead a very fulfilling and healthy life.

So true!!!

Good for you!

It is religion and all the related political, hypocritical nonsense that surrounds and clouds the issue that gives Jesus's teachings a bad name.

Even if Jesus never existed and turned out to be a character in a storybook...well the lessons he taught are exemplary.

If truly everyone loved their neighbor as themselves, the world would be saved: no war, no poverty, no hunger, no hatred!

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I'm game, how about this from Leviticus:

26:27 And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me;

26:28 Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.

26:29 And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.

I don't believe in this god, and I'm not about to eat my children because of it either.

Jesus tells us that if we eat his flesh and drink his blood then we will not thurst or hunger anymore. He is saying that you either choose to walk with him or walk on the other path. The path to heaven is small and narrow. Jesus is the only way. If you don't choose him you are choosing yourself(family) which means eating of their flesh. Not literally

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by vckums
This is mine.

Lev. 20:13, which says (in the King James Version), "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination."

That passage is frequently cited by the spokesmen of the religious right to explain why they're so adamantly opposed to allowing homosexuals to enjoy full civil rights here in America.

The thing is, though, that the book of Leviticus condemns a lot of things as "abominations." For example, from verses 10-12:

And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Im not sure what you are saying is wrong with this. It is a fact that Homosexuality brings about Aids more then most other forms of sex. Like I said before I dont judge people for what they do, but I do believe that this act is pointless. Sex was made for one reason and that was Gods gift to a man and women(In marriage) Also to Create. I will look into the no fins and no scales and get back to you on that one. I dont pretend to know everything but I will find out.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Here's another one:

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

This one is pretty simple here. God is just setting rules about how a bought women slave should be treated. This passage is really straight forward and has much to do with the times they were in you must remember that during the bible days slaves were not some random thing. The bible even talks about how a slave should obey their master. These are just rules. It is was very good rules because it condemns the mistreatment of the women slave. I will look more into this and give you more answer.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

But after reading I found out that the things that Jesus tells us to do or not to do really will benefit your life in the long run no matter in you believe in him or not. Also other parts in the bible give you great ways of living; which will help lead a very fulfilling and healthy life.

So true!!!

Good for you!

It is religion and all the related political, hypocritical nonsense that surrounds and clouds the issue that gives Jesus's teachings a bad name.

Even if Jesus never existed and turned out to be a character in a storybook...well the lessons he taught are exemplary.

If truly everyone loved their neighbor as themselves, the world would be saved: no war, no poverty, no hunger, no hatred!

I truly believe this too, but people are so afraid to have something or someone run their life. But it is true that when we are children that if we did not have someone to care for us and teach us we would be even worse of. If we all had the mind of a child(Humble Mind) Then this world would also be better off.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I also wanted to leave this for you about the foods that should be eaten and the fins and scales. Read this God imposed this on the jewish children. These were the animals that were considered unclean at the time, and was also an act of obedience for them not to eat them. Acts 10:9-15 Also try this website www.biblelife.org... It talks about food in the bible. But the food laws contained in the old testament have been lifted from the jews. Just read these and you can see.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Im not sure what you are saying is wrong with this. It is a fact that Homosexuality brings about Aids more then most other forms of sex.

no, it's simply a fact that homosexuals tend to have AIDS in a higher percentage because of a previous lack of birthcontrol within their populations due to their inability to get pregnant. the use of condoms within the community of homosexuals has since increased...
now look at africa and india, homosexuals in those countries really aren't that much more likely to have AIDS.

Like I said before I dont judge people for what they do, but I do believe that this act is pointless. Sex was made for one reason and that was Gods gift to a man and women(In marriage) Also to Create.

but premarital sex and homosexuality don't hurt anyone if it's between two consenting adults that love each other...

here's some for you:

1 Timothy

2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

want some more sexism?

1 Corinthians

11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
11:8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.
11:9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Here's another one:

OK here is another thing on slavery that might shed some light on the slavery issues. You also must know that we are still enslaved today we just choose to be. Any American is a slave to his government.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Im not sure what you are saying is wrong with this. It is a fact that Homosexuality brings about Aids more then most other forms of sex.

no, it's simply a fact that homosexuals tend to have AIDS in a higher percentage because of a previous lack of birthcontrol within their populations due to their inability to get pregnant. the use of condoms within the community of homosexuals has since increased...
now look at africa and india, homosexuals in those countries really aren't that much more likely to have AIDS.

Like I said before I dont judge people for what they do, but I do believe that this act is pointless. Sex was made for one reason and that was Gods gift to a man and women(In marriage) Also to Create.

but premarital sex and homosexuality don't hurt anyone if it's between two consenting adults that love each other...

here's some for you:

1 Timothy

2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

want some more sexism?

1 Corinthians

11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
11:8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.
11:9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

ok first of condoms were really never meant to be used or any form of birth control sex is something that was made as a gift from good for a married man and women, and to procreate. A child is a gift from God condoms are mostly used to prevent having to deal with the consequences of having sex out of marriage, which is illness and pregnancy. That is there only purpose. Im not say all but most married couples do not use condoms. Peoples ways are selfish and want to take Gods gift and use it in their own way.

Also your very wrong with premarital sex because most of the time it takes emotions to have sex with someone. And at the end of the day people do get hurt. Either by diseases or emotionally. Also condoms do not protect you from stds anyway it is really only a form of birth control. The only true way to be protected is ......... you say it for me. This is all fact. nothing good comes from sex out of marriage and you know this is true. Also nothing good comes out of homosexuality it is really a pointless act, but people are free to chose their own path

Also this is not sexism in the bible. The man is supposed to be the head of the household, and the women is supposed to summit to the man. In doing this she is honoring God, because the man is supposed to summit to God, and any women that has a man that has summited to God will have no problem with summiting to their husband. Because a husband is supposed to love his wife as Christ loves the church. Here are so sights that might open your mind own the whole sexism in the bible. You cant read the bible closed minded. Open your mind

www.therefinersfire.org...
www.studythebible.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

ok first of condoms were really never meant to be used or any form of birth control sex is something that was made as a gift from good for a married man and women, and to procreate.

that's really a narrow view on the subject... it's also one you really can't substantiate with a biblical view, as god has outright allowed "his people" to rape virgins for the fun of it...

A child is a gift from God condoms are mostly used to prevent having to deal with the consequences of having sex out of marriage, which is illness and pregnancy. That is there only purpose.

exactly, they're a great thing that is used to keep people out of situations they shouldn't be in while they have fun with an act that is fun and is healthy in a committed relationship.

Im not say all but most married couples do not use condoms.

got any statistics to back this up (there's a reason i'm making you look for statistics here)

Peoples ways are selfish and want to take Gods gift and use it in their own way.

god really never outlines what sex is for, that's a product of afterthought...

Also your very wrong with premarital sex because most of the time it takes emotions to have sex with someone. And at the end of the day people do get hurt. Either by diseases or emotionally.

...yes, that's why i said it's for people that love each other. L O V E

Also condoms do not protect you from stds anyway it is really only a form of birth control.

WHOA WHOA WHOA. slow down before you spread ignorance. condoms protect from diseases, it's been scientifically proven to protect from all disease with the exception of very few (like HPV... which can now be stopped via a vaccine)

The only true way to be protected is ......... you say it for me.

This is all fact.

except for the opinions on sex, the opinions on god, and the lie about STDs

nothing good comes from sex out of marriage and you know this is true.

no, i know that it is false. sex out of marriage results in mutual enjoyments of a passionate act.

Also nothing good comes out of homosexuality it is really a pointless act, but people are free to chose their own path

homosexuality is a condition people are born with, enough evidence supports this fact.

Also this is not sexism in the bible. The man is supposed to be the head of the household, and the women is supposed to summit to the man. In doing this she is honoring God, because the man is supposed to summit to God, and any women that has a man that has summited to God will have no problem with summiting to their husband. Because a husband is supposed to love his wife as Christ loves the church. Here are so sights that might open your mind own the whole sexism in the bible. You cant read the bible closed minded. Open your mind

but the man doesn't have to submit to his wife. it puts unfair burden on the woman to put her in a submissive role. love isn't about having one person as a dominant force.

that's just outright SEXISM that you blurted out there. i'm very open minded on this, your mind is just too clouded to realize you just said women have to submit to men, men don't have to do anything but submit to god and women should be ok submitting to a guy that submitted to god... the very act of being submissive by command is degrading enough as it is when it's supposed to be an equal partnership...

and why is it that the bible explicitly states god > man > woman?

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I man does summit to his wife by loving her, honoring her and caring for her. But in order to truly do this he must first summit to God. You are taking this as me putting down women. I am married myself and my wife summits to me because she knows I follow God and will not harm her,lead her in the wrong ways, or ask her to do anything that she would not be willing to do anyway. This a problem with alot of marriages today. It's to much individuals and not being together. In any type of relationship someone always has to lead. But it is true they all must work together. Submitting does not mean that you are nothing compared to your husband,but it is a form of respect and trust. In all team sports there are many players on the team, and on the great teams they all summit to their leader. The teams that do not are the ones that fall apart. Dont take all of this as sexism. It is so sad in the world today everyone wants to be in charge. Did you read any of the sites I gave you. It does not seem like you did. Also I have given you examples of people I know that know they were not born Homosexual but have just decided that that is better for them. Most things in life are a choice. Now lets be real here. What is sex for? Not what do people make sex for,but what is sex really for? If you answer this honestly then you will see what im talking about. I also believe that this is another reason why God as us not to have sex out of marriage. I also want you to read the package on condoms and do some research on that because condoms do not fully protect people from stds or having children. Man cannot stop what is God made no matter how hard they try.Also if you haven't please read some of the websites I gave to you. The bible also praises many women.

You still have not told me what comes out of a homosexual marriage. Dont tell me love. Because you can have love with opposite sex. You cant have children. What you tell me. Dont forget i am not judging anyone because I have my own faults.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Please give me information about where I can find (FACTS) proof that homosexuality is something someone is born with.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
christianity.about.com...

Here is a little something about what God out lines sex for. I cant believe you said God does not tell us what sex is for. Ill find more for you. Do you read the bible.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Here is some information on condoms. www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
MIMS and I have both read the bible. I've even read through some of the Apocrypha.

As a person with HIV, I must say your knowledge of it, and its transmission is not only sorely lacking, but insulting and that sort of thinking spreads bigotry which prevents people from getting the help they need to live a long and healthy life.

BTW, before you make any cracks about me being a homosexual, I'm a straight 43 year old female with two children, never had gay sex. There goes that paradigm of yours, I sincerely hope.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Im sorry what did I say about HIV that would get you angry please quote this.

Im also sorry there is a difference in reading something and listening to what it has to say.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join