It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Show some love for the Hagfish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
As you may or may not know, the Hagfish is a type of eel (that they call a fish), when threatened it secrets a protein that turns the surrounding water to thick and gooey slime.

Here's a great educational vid on it - Eddie & the Hagfish.

And here's the only vid I know of that shows a Hagfish outside of the water when it slimes, you can see what the secretion actually looks like - Hagfish Sliming.

I never knew about this thing until this year, isn't it interesting?

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well now.. You learn something every day here at ATS

Very funky type of fish.. Not something I think I would want to catch and eat. They are almost eel like. But they are fish. And their eating habits are amazing!!! And all that slime!! Crazy man! Thanks for sharing those little slimers with us!!

Never heard of them before, and that guy looked like he blew his nose like 50 times... gross...lol

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Gah you're so right, those things really are pretty disgusting

Thanks for commenting! I was all but sure I wouldn't even get a response to a thread about a weird fish .

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Well, it's not everyday that you get to see a fish sneeze out some stuff that soaks up water like a sponge. That's pretty cool actually. I can see it being used right now as a super-absorbent material for use in public stores, laboratories, etc. It would be hugely profitable if someone could find a way to make it safe for those that use it.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Interesting ? You bet !!

Soft velvety skin, produces copious amounts of snot, and didn't those little buggers make short work of that fish they were eating ?

Talk about a feeding frenzy

Thanks for the post

Peace

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Well i just watched that video, very...........intresting
Thats one Funky fish, i wounder how they make so much of that stuff.

Take Care, Vix

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I found a Hagfish sympathizer!

Defending the maligned hagfish
The hagfish is one of the most despised creatures in the ocean. Its very name inspires disgust. But does the hagfish deserve its reputation? Maybe it is time to stand up for a fish that can't stand up for itself. Let's look at the charges against the poor hag.

Source

They have a link at the bottom for another Hagfish video too.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Weirdly cool.

Did you just eventually watch every YOUTUBE video to find this topic? I can just see the search words involved. I think they were on "Dirty Jobs" for one episode of something just as slimy.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Actually I did, it was my dream as a child to view all ten zillion Youtube videos and praise Allah I was successful in my endeavor. The Hagfish clips were somewhere around the half way point.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Sorry bout the shortish post, but...

LUV THE HAGFISH !!!

These critters truly are Gods gift to humanity !
)

Peace

top topics

join