It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i really dislike zakk wylde...anyone with me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
man...i really can not stand this dude.

i am watching BLS boozed, bruised, and broken boned right now.

i have to say, at the moment, zakk is probably the most popular guitarist that i can not stand.
i have heard some of his acoustic stuff and i like it but his whole pentatonic/pinch harmonic shreds are getting tired.

dude has chops no doubt. i do not deny his ability i just can't stand it...

if ever there was a '1 trick pony' on guitar that made it huge, i think it is zakk.

beard? check
bullseye axe? check
beer? check
leather? check

ope, here it is....the pinch harmonic, then the bend that he holds for 17 minutes while he holds arm in the air and cusses like a tough guy and then swigs a beer....
meh!!!:bash:

how do you feel about zakk

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
maybe i am not being totally fair.

part of my dislike of him is his 'attitude'...i have always thought it was a tough guy act...F this and F that....

now, i curse more than anyone i know...i don't even realize i am doing it....i just watched a few interviews with him and i get that same vibe from him...it's no so much he is acting like a tough guy and cussing at people, he just talks that way...

i do like his whole outlook on family..he said F the money, the fame, etc....if you don't have family you got nothing...

i like his outlook.

i guess i see the glam pics of him back in the day and see him now and thin khe is fake but people change. maybe he was fake then and this is him.

back to his music....

i still think his electric guitar playing while good at the style, is tiring...same thing all the time...the solo's are always blazing the same scale...hitting the pinches hard....

it seems like he sacrifices melodic content for his speed(which i don't like), but he is a 'shredder'..

thats the great thing about music though man...it is ALL subjective.
some people think zakk is the tits and you know, for them, they are right...
i feel that way about zappa and most don't agree. but for me, he speaks to me in a different way.

zakk does write the BLS material correct? i know he paid his dues, practicing for 12 hours a day and getting his chops up...plus, he does have some theory so he can play like a mofo BUT, he don't.

does it not seem like it is the same?

it's almost like you know what you are going to hear before you hear it...

i like stuff that changes. i like risks and i don't see him/BLS doing that...
grantes, i have not seen a ton of BLS but what i have seen has been teh standard rock 4 piece.

let me give to examples.
zappa.
you never knew what you were gonna get from him. it could be a 4 minute beautiful composition like watermelon or be a blazing 8 minute extended improv like willi the pimp.
he would have 5 people in teh band, then 12, then 9, then 20....
you never new....

the white stripes. i like them for the opposite reasons.
frank was a maniac about rehearsing his bands....HE would improv the songs and change the rotation of their 80 song catalogue but they were tight.
the stripes don't rehearse the concerts. they don't have a set list.
i know they are a basic, minimalist two piece but they do take risks.'
meg(drummer) hits the mic. jack introduces new instruments all the time.
old school synths and things like that.

if i am just not seeing these things with BLS just cause i have not seen the material please corrext me....i would love to check it out...
it just seems that from what have seen(save for a tad acoustic) of BLS/Zakk, they are one trick ponies(even though they have more ability).
it seems that you know you are going to get a standard heavy metal show with face melting solo's and a pit....(is that the idea? i am not a metal guy really)..
if that is, fine.....
if not, why don't they change it up?
if they do, point me in that direction...

i know i have seen a few clips of zakk on acoustic and he is sick...i love his acoustic playing far more than hsi electric.

is BLS just trying to be a 'standard' metal band that just goes out there and rocks hard, cause they do?

i mean, it don't appear that they are going for the greatest band in the world :bash: title or anything...

is it just as simple as they have a virtuoso guitarist with a band that just wants to make fat metal riffs and scorching solo's?

if so, then it changed my perspective a bit

SR

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
LOL well there goes the neighbourhood!!

Well dude that's your opinion i personally like him and the work he's done with BLS and Ozzy. I aint bothered about someones personal life or opinions i just want them to entertain me with there music.

Every great guitarist is a one trick pony in a way Slash, Buckethead, Satriani, EVH, Dimebag, John 5, Bumblefoot, Malmsteem i go could on forever but you get my drift there all guilty of the playing the same material again and again or dining off the same image and attitude for there careers.

[edit on 25-8-2007 by SR]

SR

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Edit: Double Post.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SR

Sorry but I have to agree.I have Ozzy's new vid posted on my profile,complete with Zakk.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
SR, yes, it is my opinion....i just wanted to see if others felt the same or what they felt towards him...
as far as every guitarist being a 1 trick pony, i don't agree.
they might have 'signature type licks' but there are artists out there that every time they perform it's different...never know what way it is gonna go.

i also said i don't know much about him if he does other stuff other than what i mentioned, but if he does, hook me up with som e links or something if you have them.

thing is, i WANT to like his playing, but i don't....

i guess i feel like he is wasting his talent but also, i don't know any of the stuff he does with ozzy..i have a lot to learn when it comes to him...

thus far though, i like his acoustic stuff much better.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Boondock, here is the new Ozzy vid.You might not like it but I thought I'd post it anyway.The thing is, I have HATED Ozzy my whole life.But this new song with Zakk just rocks my socks.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

i like stuff that changes. i like risks and i don't see him/BLS doing that...

qft.

read some interviews when he started playing with Ozzy and he said he was a huge Lynyrd Skynyrd fan and would be releasing a Skynyrd like album as a side project,and what an album it was (Pride&Glory)

Then came Book of Shadows,still one of my all time favourite albums..i was looking forward to years of this great material..then came a decade of bls..yawn

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
zakk wylde = overrated mediocrity

that guy's definitely talented but shouldn't be as renowned as he is

in terms of shredders i'll have to stick with jeff loomis, that guy owns everyone on a guitar

i've been really liking andy mckee a lot lately too, he does a lot of weird acoustic instrumental stuff, you can find his videos on youtube(i highly recommend checking him out)

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SR

Every great guitarist is a one trick pony in a way

i absolutely disagree.
how can you honestly say that?
out of the few you names there is a couple..you think buckethead is a one trick pony???:shk:
how much of his stuff have you heard..he's rocking the kill switch.
the modes he uses, acoustic melodies and acoustic shreds..

you hear the new cd acoustic chards?
very much not a one trick pony.

ever listen to frank zappa? my favorite musician in the world.
you think frank was a one trick pony???
ask zakk wylde about that....he'll tell ya different.

edit*...^^^^i say that cause i saw a 100 greatest rock guitarist show on vh1 and frank was on the list and zaak is one of the people they talked to and he had much praise for zappa..

my opinion of zakk still stands. i like to use this example.

zakk is a guitarist i would rather watch then listen too....i like to see t shredding and the fretwork but i don't want to just hear it cause it does not really sound good.

i put on my bruised dvd and watch it and every song has a solo that sounds the same. the songs sound like they are in the same metre. the solo's have extensive pinches....pentatonic runs.

in other words, the same stuff again and again.....IMO

[edit on 1-9-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well he has killer balance, I can say that for him
. I don't know how he keeps from getting dizzy and stumbling off the stage with the way he shakes his head around constantly.

SR

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
They are though as much as i love Buckethead he's too killswitch happy half of his albums are amazing then there's let downs like kalediscope acoustic shards is good yes but acoustic being the emphasis. Slash is playing the same stuff he played 20 years ago. Hendrix used his wah wah and distortion Zappa on the synthesizers there all guilty of being one trick ponies at one stage or the other it's not a crime to admit it at the end of the day as long as you still enjoy the music does it really matter.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I like his guitars, very surreal like. Mike Piazza is also fan!

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SR
They are though as much as i love Buckethead he's too killswitch happy half of his albums are amazing then there's let downs like kalediscope acoustic shards is good yes but acoustic being the emphasis. Slash is playing the same stuff he played 20 years ago. Hendrix used his wah wah and distortion Zappa on the synthesizers there all guilty of being one trick ponies at one stage or the other it's not a crime to admit it at the end of the day as long as you still enjoy the music does it really matter.

as to zappa, i'm not gonna argue this...zappa on the synth.. the synclavier didn't come out till a good deal into his career.
i will not admit to someone being a 1 trick pony if they are not....if there is one musician that definately is not, it's frank.
all one has to do is look at his albums over the 35 years to see just how each record was different and how he did new, innovative things on every album.

please.
slash, sure.....

i don't see how you can even think that frank was a one trick pony. the most eclectic guy to ever play the guitar...every album was different from the previous one. every show was different. there were upwards of 10 variations for one song on bootleg albums, all DIFFERENT.
frank didn't start composing on the synclavier till the early/mid 80's. he was already active for 30 years as a songwriter and more than 15 as a performer. before that though, he WROTE music for other people to perform on the keys/synth...

it's kinda hard to call a self tought multi instrumentalist(plays guitar, percussion, bozouki, bass) who wrote music for ensambles as large as a 20 piece orchestra plus a 12 piece rock band plus improvised extended guitar solo's in the middle of these a one trick pony.......just sayin man..
be fair

----------------

en.wikipedia.org...
In a career spanning more than 30 years, Zappa established himself as a prolific and highly distinctive composer, electric guitar player and band leader. He worked in almost every musical genre and wrote music for rock bands, jazz ensembles, synthesizers and symphony orchestra, as well as Musique concrète works constructed from pre-recorded, synthesized or sampled sources. In addition to his music recordings, he created feature-length and short films, music videos, and album covers.

Although he only occasionally achieved major commercial success, he maintained a highly productive career that encompassed composing, recording, touring, producing and merchandising his own and others' music. Zappa self-produced almost every one of the more than sixty albums he released with the Mothers of Invention or as a solo artist
--------------

lets look at the personal/instrument list for franks very first record, 'freak out'...remember now, he wrote and arranged all this and while he was not credited as a producer on this record, he made all the musical decisions...he was credited as producer on every record after this.

The Mothers of Invention:
Frank Zappa--Musical director, guitar & vocals
Ray Collins--Lead vocalist, harmonica, tambourine, finger cymbals, bobby pin & tweezers
Jim Black--Drums (also sings in some foreign language)
Roy Estrada--Bass & guitarron; boy soprano
Elliot Ingber--Alternate lead & rhythm guitar with clear white light

THE MOTHERS' AUXILIARY
Gene Estes--percussion
Eugene Di Novi--piano
Neil Le Vang--guitar
John Rotella--clarinet, sax
Kurt Reher--cello
Raymond Kelley--cello
Paul Bergstrom--cello
Emmet Sargeant--cello
Joseph Saxon--cello
Edwin V. Beach--cello
Arthur Maebe--French horn, tuba
George Price--French horn
John Johnson--tuba?
Carol Kaye--12-string guitar
Virgil Evans--trumpet
David Wells--trombone
Kenneth Watson--percussion
Plas Johnson--sax, flute
Roy Caton--copyist
Carl Franzoni--voice
Vito--voice

sure did write for a lot of instruments

thing fish

FZ--guitar, synclavier
Steve Vai--guitar
Ray White--guitar
Tommy Mars--keyboards
Chuck Wild--Broadway piano
Arthur Barrow--bass
Scott Thunes--bass
Jay Anderson--string bass
Ed Mann--percussion
Chad Wackerman--drums
Steve De Furia--Synclavier programmer
David Ocker--Synclavier programmer
+
Bob Harris--keyboards, trumpet & high vocals (uncredited on "Galoot Up-Date," "No Not Now" and "Won Ton On")
Motorhead Sherwood--tenor sax (uncredited on "Mudd Club")
Bobby Martin--keyboards, sax (uncredited on "Clowns On Velvet")
Denny Walley--slide guitar (uncredited on "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing")
Roy Estrada--bg. vocal (uncredited on "Artificial Rhonda," "No Not Now" and "Won Ton On")
Donnie Vliet--harmonica (uncredited on "Artificial Rhonda")
Ruth Underwood--synth (uncredited on "Artificial Rhonda")
--------------------

i will say that this thread has caused me to look into zakk some more....i didn't realize he played piano as well.

does he write most of the material for BLS?

[edit on 2-9-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Just got one thing to say, I'd give him a reet (Yorkshire talk) good pinch harmonic contest anyday.

Mind you, his pinch harmonics aren't anything compared to those of Adam D and Joel from KsE.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SR
LOL well there goes the neighbourhood!!

Well dude that's your opinion i personally like him and the work he's done with BLS and Ozzy. I aint bothered about someones personal life or opinions i just want them to entertain me with there music.

Every great guitarist is a one trick pony... Dimebag...

I cannot believe you just wrote that. Dime was an extemely talented guitarist, both in the rhythm and lead sections. His guitar tone was sick as hell and he could shred like a mother. His riffs were so different and I loved his more "mellow" riffs.

Anyway, yeah, Dimebag is a legend and always will be.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Saw dimebag years ago at donnington,he could make that axe scream with the whammy bar.great tude too,shame he isnt around

as for zakk,funny enough he was on that year too at donnington with his band and his playing was out of this world.I love bluesy phrasing,pinch harmoincs and string flapping vibrato,so i guess you could say i think he sounds fine

new topics

top topics

join