It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could muslim terrorists be behind the multiple forest fires in greece

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
This is more then likely an act of eco-terrorists like the ones that ran around burning down newly built housing developments here on Long Island in the late 1990s or who blew up that ski resort in Colorado a few years ago.

I would be shocked if it turned out to be anything else.

Me too-although I would not be shocked if the MSM put the "islamist" spin on the story at some point.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by widukindHH15gran

In an effort to be succint, no.

I despise Islamic fundamentalists and Muslim terrorists, but they are not to blame for all of the worlds evils.

There was a forest fire in Gran Canaria recently which burnt a lot of the interior of GC including a lot of tomato farms which was the only source of income for the local, indiginous farmers.
This was started by a disgruntled employee of an animal park.
He wasn't a Muslim.

p.s. I'm going to Greece on Friday for a week

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Fires were started in specific areas, most probably due to illegal deforestation, but got out of hand thanks to strong winds in the area. Multiple fires started simultaneously in order to get the fire department divided.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by widukindHH15gran

Sorry, I find the OP hard to believe. When did Greece declare that they would invade Iraq to find Weapons of Mass Destruction? Or threaten to invade Iran for mythical nuclear weapons which would, in reality, take a hundred years to manufacture? They haven't, have they?

I think we have to be careful that we don't believe all the Government propaganda from USA and the UK. Please try to think independently but don't get caught in the paranoia trap set up in order to make us open to 'democratic totalitarianism.'

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I agree 100% with masterp.

I am a foreigner living in Greece for the past 5 years. I have really gotten a chance to know the culture and way of daily life. I love the life here; however, the Greek people have no consideration for the land outside of what is "theirs". They throw trash everywhere without any concern for the environment, many don't even know about recycling, and I have never seen any Greek person young or old clean up a mess made by another person just because it is harming the land. The inside of their homes are imaculate but outside they could care less. I am not surprised by what has been happening the last 2 days because this is in my opinion is greedy Greek people or a group of people burning land to by-pass the laws regarding forest land and the inability for them to build. I was sick today hearing the media try to blame thison the USA and connected it with Rices recent visit here to Greece and somekind of agreement made with Russia over oil. Why would the USA waste any kind of ener!
gy on a small country as Greece. I have to admit that I said to my Greek husband, "this is some kind of punishment to the Greek people for not respecting and taking care of their gorgeous and precious land". Sorry if I sound bitter but this is not terriorist or any other country trying to take over GReek. It is the GReek people themselves and it just gotten out of control with the temperatures over 100 degrees and strong winds. It is time for the Greek people to wake up to what is going on outside their doors, cities, country and do things to help the environment.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by milliez

I accidentally saw your forum searching through google and registered just for a reply. I was born Greek and live in this country all my life. Whoever you are, with all the respect, you are generalizing and there is nothing more dangerous than that. I agree that many people throw trash but I totally disagree that there are no people that care. I care, I make a difference and so do others. And I don't know if your 5 years give you a clear picture, but I can tell you for sure that there are a lot of people that care, recycle and pick up others trash in the street or in the beach.Bad people and good people exist in every nation and culture. By generalizing you pass an image for a whole nation that it is, at least to me, offending to the people that care.
Regarding the fires, I trully can't tell you if the muslims, the USA, the E.T. or whatever else anyone imagines, is behind them - BUT - I can tell you for sure that somebody is - and it is not Greek people that burn mountains just to build up homes. Your opinion is wrong. Facts prove otherwise:
1.over 200 fires at the same time all over the country including the capital
2.fires started in mountains in places not reachable by car or other means, there are no roads there.
3.so far numerous sophisticated devices were found that were used to start the fires, some of them remotely activated by cellular phones, currently under investigation by the police
4.over 60 people officially dead - the number, in my opinion will reach at least 100
5.while all means were trying to eliminate the huge numerous different fires in Peloponnese at least 20 more fires started in different places in the country
6.check this satellite photo and decide for yourself:

ca.news.yahoo.com... /photo/26082007/24/photo/photos-n-top-news-satellite-image-released-nasa-shows-fires-greece.html

this shows only a part of the country
Yes, we do have work to do as a nation, but there exist some of us that make a difference - that care.
This is an organized crime with a very sophisticated and well established plan.
Whoever is behind this carefully designed everything down to every detail:
1) highest temperature season
2) very strong winds this season also
3) high season - eveyone was on vacation
3) carefully selected areas to start the fires in mountains with very reach plantation that spread very quickly down to the villages
4) while every resource was used to put out the huge fires, new ones were starting at 3 and 4 a.m. in defferent places (planes do not fly at night to throw water)
Thank you for your time reading all this. I cannot decribe with words what I feel in my heart about all this situation. So many people died for nothing not to mention the devastating effect in nature. I pray for a miracle...
Forgive any mistakes in the language.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
re-posting the satellite image url:

ca.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It's really insulting for you to even suggest Muslims are burning down the forests of a country. This is the type of unreasonable fear mongering which enrages many Muslims across the world. To be immediately blamed or suspected for any and all problems of the world is completely unfair in all respects. The prospect of 'Islamic Extremism' does exist but it has been blown way out of proportion by a government and its media that would like to give us the impression that we will never be safe from 'terrorists' until we are locked in our houses with no peace of mind or freedom to speak of.

Look at the world. Who is leading wars? Who is creating conflicts? Who is instigating arms races? Who is the REAL terror of this world? It certainly isn't a group of non-educated Arabs living in a cave in the middle of a desert.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital Czar

Well, that shows how much you know. The terrorists of 911 were middle class, and educated. Bin Laden, rich as hell. So are the other top terrorist leaders. You think its just poor or uneducated muslims? Haha. Its an ideology, it doesn't matter if they have money or what their education level is, and it will never stop because of that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join