It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan tests new cruise missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Pakistan tests new cruise missile

news.bbc.co.uk

Pakistan has successfully test-fired a new cruise missile capable of carrying nuclear weapons, its military said.
The missile, named Hatf-VIII (or Raad, "thunder" in Arabic), has a range of 350km (220 miles), and can carry all types of warheads, a statement said.

Pakistan and its neighbour India - both nuclear powers - routinely carry out missile tests.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
rss.cnn.com
feeds.chicagotribu ne.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran president: Israel flies Satan's flag
Making the World a More Dangerous Place

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
While most of the world would like to see the nation of Iran abandon its nuclear weapons programs, Pakistan has them, and has been known to have shared related technologies with both Iran and North Korea.

If a rebellion were to occur in Pakistan removing the current leadership, creating a new radical Islamic regime in control, would the USA change its friendly relationship with Pakistan?

Unlike Iran, Pakistan has nukes and advanced missile technologies, like Iran Pakistan is primarily Islamic, the majority are strongly opposed to any ties with the USA.

The sum of all fears could come one day when Islamic forces in these nations join together to launch attacks against the USA. Though potentially suicidal for them, such attacks could greatly weaken and damage the U.S. military, and most importantly if done effectively cause severe damage to the USA at all economic levels.

Have we made the world a more dangerous place?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I don't see this missile test as being significant of anything or hinting of any underlying motives other than to maintain their military capabilities.

Pakistan and its neighbour India - both nuclear powers - routinely carry out missile tests.

--------

As for "The sum of all fears could come one day when Islamic forces in these nations join together to launch attacks against the USA.", sorry but I just don't see that as any kind of feasible possibility.

For one thing, middle eastern nations don't tend to always work too well with each other and it's waaaaay speculative to think that'll change in our lifetime. Also, America does a good job of maintaining relations with certain allies in that part of the world.

I can't see Pakistan up and deciding one day to cast off U.S. relations, give up it's American aid money, and engage it's most powerful ally by forming a coalition with it's neighbors to launch attacks on us. The idea is kind of laughable really.

I don't have a crystal ball, anything could happen in the future but I think the odds are against something happening like you're suggesting.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee
I don't see this missile test as being significant of anything or hinting of any underlying motives other than to maintain their military capabilities.

The significance of this missile, is that its compact, mobile, can be launched in theater (wherever that may be) from a relative safe distance, carry a nuclear warhead, accuracy, stealth (cruise below conventional radar detection capabilities), the 'Arabic' name, a perfect weapon of terror if ever ends up in the wrong hands.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
will you please stop being a drama queen and blowing events of of all proportion.

The sum of all fears could come one day when Islamic forces in these nations join together to launch attacks against the USA. Though potentially suicidal for them, such attacks could greatly weaken and damage the U.S. military, and most importantly if done effectively cause severe damage to the USA at all economic levels.

Have we made the world a more dangerous place?

` a perfect weapon of terror` cruise missiles can be built in the shed - ask the man from new zealand who did just that - made a 100 mile range cruise missile for $4000.

so pakistan build a missile? - and? they test it? and? Arabic name - and?

Indian missiles have indian names - does that mean they are just as `evil`

And tell me - are you so `scared` about the Babur ,which was tested at least 2 years ago , is allready in service , has twice the range and can carry a `nuke`.

just another day in the middle east.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

No one ever lets me play devil's advocate and get away with it.

This story was important enough for the mainstream news, so I had to do something with it.

I do see a double standard when it comes to nuclear issues in Pakistan and Iran. One seems okay, while the other presents a grave danger. Which one presents the greatest actual danger?

Either way, I am sure Al Qaeda would love to get their hands on some of these nuclear armed missiles.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
they are not `nuclear armed` - the are nuclear capable - just as the Babur is nuclear capable , and the tomahawk is and the silkworm is.

double standards? rubbish - the only country to fear with nukes is the USA , as they make up junk to suit there global domination agenda (hello Mr.B) and would happily use them to further there own goals.

therefore when will the USA go after Israel with her illegal nukes? oh wait they wont as the US tax payer bankrolls the country.

This cruise missile is geat news - it shows advancement in the region and less reliance on outside countries for there own `terrorist` - oh wait i mean national defence from outside , un warrented aggression

[edit on 25/8/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
You think the U.S. is the only nuclear capable country that anyone should fear, hmm I don't know about that Harlequin.

The Russians have them and considering how they're trying to annoy everybody lately with buzzing their planes around others' airspace, I think they're trying to let the world know they're still around if you catch my drift.

America is far from being the only country that's willing to put all options on the table if it's pushed a bit too far in the wrong direction.

Edit: left out a word

[edit on 25-8-2007 by fweshcawfee]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
yes and no - as has been said many times on this forum , it wouldn`t be beyond the current administration to wipe out , say , california (solve 2 problems then) and blame *insert random jihad group* for the outrage.

yeah the russians have been playing there old cold war games - but so do the USA , its just US press doesn`t report it

I totally agree that the USA isn`t the only country that would use its total capability if PUSHED TOO FAR , but im sure the USA is the only country to consider there use from the get go - i would put money on nukes being an option back in 2003 and deployed in the field for direct use as needed.and that is my concern - the day is coming close to the gloves coming off and pandora`s box being flung far open with regards to nuclear arms.

edit:

just a small thing ; this missile is air launched - the ground launched missile is

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 25/8/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Do you really think they could make a nuke warhead that small and think it will work without testing?

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
You can bet your last dollar india will be enraged by this developement.Nuclear neighbors rely on seconds to respond to an attack.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
double standards? rubbish - the only country to fear with nukes is the USA , as they make up junk to suit there global domination agenda (hello Mr.B) and would happily use them to further there own goals.

Given the level of anger and hatred aimed toward the USA, fear any opportunity for terrorists to obtain nuclear weapons most.

There may come a day when most of the world sees dramatic news of a major attack, and most will say, or agree that "they had it coming"

We elected this administration, like it or not, we WILL take the bad with the bad!

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Do you really think they could make a nuke warhead that small and think it will work without testing?

Er, yes. Because they have already. To design this missile, it would have been produced on the condition it can carry an already pre-designed warhead weight, be it conventional, nuclear or biological. They already have warheads that are the correct size for their missiles.

It would be foolish to design a missile first, then spend another few years working on the warhead. Makes more sense to do it the other way around.

Miniaturise your warhead as much as possible, then go to your Missile chaps and say,

"Here is the specifications we want, make it".

top topics

join