It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece Calls For Help - Peloponnese Region Is A Crematorium

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Here in Portugal we usually have many fires every Summer, but this year the Summer has not been as hot and dry as normal, so we are having little to worry about.

Every year the situation is the same; many fires are started by people that have something to gain with the fires: land owners that want to change the land status after the fires so they can sell the land for construction, stupid people that start a small fire forgetting that all the plants around are dry and start burning very fast, people who like to watch the fires burning or the firefighters working (some are firefighters
), etc.

There is no need for Al-Qaida or any other external intervention, the hot and dry conditions make it very easy to make a fire and very difficult to stop it, from what I have seen, a difference in 5º Celsius makes a lot of difference in the number of fires that start (some fires do start spontaneously) and in the time the firefighters take to put them out.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I've been on vacation at the southern-west part of Pelloponissos, and I barely got out of it. I can tell you, it's a living nightmare. 53 people have been burned to death, and the sky is dimmed by the ashes all over the area.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Here in Portugal we usually have many fires every Summer,

The fires in California should be starting up soon as the Santa Ana winds start to blow.

I think all these things are cyclical, only the magnitude is determined by extraordinary factors.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
hi all
im posting this from athens/greece

the situation in Peloponnese region is just with one word - DRAMATIC -

52 people are dead - cought by the fire at nightime as they were trying to evacuate villages that were located in deep forest areas..

right now there are 40 active fire locations in Peloponnese region / attica region and evoia region

huge disaster in Peloponnese - beautifull virgin forests have been destroyed and fire have reached near the suburbs of two major cities in Peloponnese - kalamata city and Pyrgos city.. right now fireforces are trying to eliminate these fires..

another big battle is taking place at Olympia which is an archaelogical place where the first olympic games took place.. A huge number of firefighting forces are located there trying to stop the fire from reaching the place..

Fires in athens region are under controlled.. in Evoia region two cities manages to be saved during night fires but now due to strong winds fire is making an attack towards the city of Kymi..

A big thanks to all countries that help us by sending planes and helicopters..

is someone has any recent images from sattelites please post them

PS: death to the ppl who put this fires on

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
this is a high detailed photo from the fires that were active in Greece yesterday

we hope things today to be much better

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The death toll in Greece's forest fires reached at least 57+ .
Total devastation.....is the best words to describe...

Greece has been declared in a state of emergency from yesterday and in a three day mourn for the deaths.

I live in Athens and the sky is grey like a storm coming... but it is from the smoke clouds...sun is yellow and some time when smoke thickens gets red...

And its snowing...snowing dust debris...im 41 i have never in my life seen something like this in this country...

assets.in.gr...

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I found this video...

edit to add:
I don't know greek, so I have no idea what it says in the intro.

[edit on 2007/8/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
There are a lot of muslims (Albanians) in Greece...and they hate Christians. I would not be surprised if this was a planned terrorist activity.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by swimmer
There are a lot of muslims (Albanians) in Greece...and they hate Christians.
Do you live in Greece? Have you any way of proving that the Albanian Muslims that live in Greece hate Christians? If you have do not just say so, show the proof to all of us that are trying to deny their ignorance.

I would not be surprised if this was a planned terrorist activity.
I would be surprised, this is a type of action that no one claims to himself.

Albania is also fighting many fires.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

one actually has, i live in the coachella valley in california and we just had one up on snow creek mountain, i believe this one was started by lighting though.

with our dry hot summer, i am dreading our fire season this year.

www.cbstv2.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Are you insane we are the largest contributors to disasters like this. For some odd reason no one likes to remember that the United States gives more money than any other nation on earth to disaster relief, charity, and humanitarian aid.

www.oecd.org...

This is the newest chart from the UN's Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. It shows over 27 Billion from 2006.

[edit on 26/8/07 by MikeboydUS]

Why don't you take a more careful look at the countries in that image of yours? Middle Eastern and African countries are the top 10.

The United States doesn't even help it's own citizens. I should know. The one time I was out of work for 3 months for medical reasons, I got no disability money. I had to live on handouts from people for 3 months. Finally, at the very end I took the issue to an appeals board and threatened to sue the state and finally got some money.

The U.S. gives hand outs to illegal immigrants all the time, they know how to manipulate the system. The U.S. gives foreign aid where we have a political interest (a.k.a. a place where we make a buck).

The U.S. is the richest country, so logically it would spend the most, or "donate" to others as you may believe. If we really cared about the well-being of other humans, we would start here at home. I live in Los Angeles and I know my fellow neighbors aren't too happy that FEMA screwed them out of money after the Northridge earthquake in 1994. I have friends in Louisiana that aren't too happy with FEMA, for obvious reasons.

You can preach all you want that the United States is a country of caring, but I know better. I live here, too. I think the next few generations to come might finally change things, but not before some major disaster happens. And I wouldn't expect too many other countries to bail US out if we had a serious problem.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Are you insane we are the largest contributors to disasters like this. For some odd reason no one likes to remember that the United States gives more money than any other nation on earth to disaster relief, charity, and humanitarian aid.

www.oecd.org...

This is the newest chart from the UN's Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. It shows over 27 Billion from 2006.

In terms of a % of GDP, the US comes pretty low down. Ahead of only Italy in Developed Nations. So it's burden is far less. Norway is the most generous in terms of GDP percentage given at 0.9% GDP.

Also, whilst the US gives the most sigularly, if you combine all the aid given by EU member countries, it actually is a heck of alot more than given by the US. Seeing as the US is a collection of 50 states, it seems fairer to compare "like for like" and measure it againnst the EU as a whole.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
In terms of a % of GDP, the US comes pretty low down. Ahead of only Italy in Developed Nations. So it's burden is far less. Norway is the most generous in terms of GDP percentage given at 0.9% GDP.

You didn't give any sources, but I'm suspecting that the data you're looking at only shows government aid. In the U.S., private charity are extremely high compared to other nations.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
You didn't give any sources, but I'm suspecting that the data you're looking at only shows government aid. In the U.S., private charity are extremely high compared to other nations.

Indeed. Apologies for the lack of sources, I used the same as the other chappy. OECD.

I would argue, though, that charitable donations from all developed nations are probably equal in terms of a % of income. The UK gave £1/4 billion ($500 million) in private donations for the 2004 Asian Tsunami Appeal, for exaple.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by swimmer

"Blame it on the Muslims" are way out of any context.

Swimmer, did you see the footage of GWB recent Europe gig?

The only place he got to meet the people was in Albania. The footage showed the president vigorously shaking hand with a (controlled) crowd. When he pulled his hand out of the crowd his watch was gone. Nobody seen that footage? Was from a Spanish broadcaster. I was in Denmark at the time, and didn't have ready access to post it. Don't know it anyone did.

One thing for sure, if he had done a thing like that -shaking hands with the crowd- in any other place in Europe you would have a one-handed president by now.

Anyway this is about the fires in Greece, I just think it is so darned stupid, downright brainwashed, to connect it with Muslims. Some member even put it up a warmongering thread in the Deconstructing Disinformation & Deflection Discussion Forum, as a chance of sable rattling I see it.

It has been removed by now. Fair enough, it was too stupid to be worthy.

Hellmutt, a great thread as usual, like some others of yours I just hope it won't run forever.

Only complain - I'm back in Thailand... so - I can't watch YouTube.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
1m Euro (£678,000) Reward

There's now a 1-million euro reward for catching arsonists. Between 100,000-1,000,000 euros for every act of arson. 63 new fires started yesterday. They've managed to save ancient Olympia, although flames were licking the edges of the original Olympia stadium. The death toll is "at least 60"...

BBC: Greek forest fires reward offered

A 1m euro (£678,000) reward has been offered to help catch the arsonists suspected of being behind Greek forest fires which have killed at least 60.

New fires continue to break out, with firefighters contending with 63 fresh blazes on Sunday in what officials called an "unprecedented disaster".

[---]

The reward, put up by the Greek government, is for anyone providing information which leads to the arrest of an arsonist.

A Greek government statement read: "The reward is set between 100,000 and 1m euros for every [act] of arson, depending on whether death or serious injury occurred and the size of the damage."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
One fact maybe you don't know.
In Crete (greek island) there is one of the largest US military base in Europe. Very close to middle east and because Crete still belongs to Greece it is also 30 minutes away from where we are burning.
It is a shame that no help came from this military base. Every country was sending some help, men, equipment, airplanes and what did the US do? NOTHING !!!!!!!!!
Greeks need help to evacuate, protect, their people and food and electricity.
All this could have been with help of the US too (which was very easy for them as their are already thousands of them within our country (and not only for Iraq transit)).
The fires are sooo many and broke so quickly in simultanously in many places at a time that it is impossible to think that they were not done on purpose with a larger scale of strategic interest.
It is like this country is in war.
I hope that all hellens will stay united and together they will reconstruct everything as it was in their own architectural typical style and that all trees will be planted again.
It will take years to recover. One olive tree makes its first olive after eight years, and it will take years to be able to plant one olive tree.
Greece signed agreements on oil collaboration with russia, as italy and turkey and days after, all the countries were set on fire. Was it a punishment? Who knows?
In any case, in greece it is forbidden by the law to even cut an olive tree and is a crime against greece that people set fire on purpose.
Many people are complaining against the government, but what can one do when within one day 60 new fires set off? Where to go first? They can most of the time only secure the area and watch helpless our sacred land burn.
To all the greeks of the diaspora I call for unity and respect to our homeland. We all should go home and help. We are hellenes, we were united thousands of years and though our parents didn't much respect their country and brothers we can change that and act with responsability and collective conscience towards our country, our community and the rest of the world. This is what being an hellen is all about.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not a fanatic nationalist, I'm just a patriot who believes in values that made ancient greece famous for and crying on what it has become....

Eleftheria h thanatos
]+[

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
32 Suspected "Terrorists"

32 suspected arsonists have been arrested. Police and intelligence services are trying to figure out whether there's a link between the suspected arsonists and organized groups...

BBC: Foreigners help fight Greek fires

The BBC's Malcolm Brabant, in Athens, says the police and intelligence services will be keen to discover if there is any link between the suspected arsonist, and whether they are part of an organised scorched earth campaign.

Greece has the feel of a country on a war footing, our correspondent says.

[---]

Soldiers are patrolling suburban neighbourhoods trying to catch arsonists in the act and anti-terrorist squads have been questioning some suspects.

Meanwhile, a top Greek prosecutor has ordered an inquiry into whether arson attacks can be considered terrorism, and prosecuted under Greece's anti-terror laws.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
One fact maybe you don't know.
In Crete (greek island) there is one of the largest US military base in Europe. Very close to middle east and because Crete still belongs to Greece it is also 30 minutes away from where we are burning.
It is a shame that no help came from this military base. Every country was sending some help, men, equipment, airplanes and what did the US do? NOTHING !!!!!!!!!
Greeks need help to evacuate, protect, their people and food and electricity.
All this could have been with help of the US too (which was very easy for them as their are already thousands of them within our country (and not only for Iraq transit)).
The fires are sooo many and broke so quickly in simultanously in many places at a time that it is impossible to think that they were not done on purpose with a larger scale of strategic interest.
It is like this country is in war.
I hope that all hellens will stay united and together they will reconstruct everything as it was in their own architectural typical style and that all trees will be planted again.
It will take years to recover. One olive tree makes its first olive after eight years, and it will take years to be able to plant one olive tree.
Greece signed agreements on oil collaboration with russia, as italy and turkey and days after, all the countries were set on fire. Was it a punishment? Who knows?
In any case, in greece it is forbidden by the law to even cut an olive tree and is a crime against greece that people set fire on purpose.
Many people are complaining against the government, but what can one do when within one day 60 new fires set off? Where to go first? They can most of the time only secure the area and watch helpless our sacred land burn.
To all the greeks of the diaspora I call for unity and respect to our homeland. We all should go home and help. We are hellenes, we were united thousands of years and though our parents didn't much respect their country and brothers we can change that and act with responsability and collective conscience towards our country, our community and the rest of the world. This is what being an hellen is all about.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not a fanatic nationalist, I'm just a patriot who believes in values that made ancient greece famous for and crying on what it has become....

I hope that the new generation of greeks I belong to feel the same.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Russia to the rescue...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join