It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece Calls For Help - Peloponnese Region Is A Crematorium

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Greece has appealed to the EU for help. More than 170 wild fires are out of control in southern Greece and spreading fast. At least 37 people have died so far, and several are children. People are running for their lives. Greek media call the Peloponnese region a "crematorium". The Greek army is now fighting the flames.

BBC: Death toll mounts in Greek fires

A local prefect close to the scene described it as horrific.

"The situation is extremely dire... The speed with which this fire has been spreading is astonishing," said the mayor of Zahero, Pantazis Chronopoulos.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

VG: 37 drept i branner - Hellas ber EU om hjelp (in norwegian...)

Photo:AP

AFP: Greek fire toll climbs to 37

CNN: 37 die as fires ravage Greece

Massive forest fires swept across Greece and killed at least 37 people in the south of the country, including several children, the fire department said Saturday. New fires broke out frequently, as embers were carried by the wind.

More than 170 fires raged across the country, from the western Ionian islands to Ioannina in northwestern Greece and down to the south.

Sounds serious. Feel free to add comments and/or updates on the situation.

[edit on 2007/8/25 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Here's a YouTube video from BBC. It's from when the death toll was 15.

Fifteen people have died as fires sweep through southern Greece in one of the country's worst fire seasons

Embedding might be disabled. If it is, click the YouTube Link.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I found a more recent one.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
All South Europe is having problems with the high temperatures.

A Greek friend of my sister said that they had many small villages completely destroyed by the fires, and this was a month or more ago.

Fortunately, Portugal has not been under those high temperatures, so we are having year with comparatively little fires.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
That's very sad, I hope no more are injured or killed due to these fires. Nature can be so brutal.

And I suppose I'll be the oddball here and point out a bit of humor. In one of the images in the OP it looks like a mob of angry locals is chasing after a lady tourist who's running for dear life in a beach towel and flipflops while doing the heil hitler... Eeeeahhhh!!! haha.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
That picture of the running lady reminds me of another dramatic picture from Greece, which I've posted in another thread. The Greeks are very dramatic, apparently, and they look like paintings and statues. The birthplace of Democracy also have its anarchists...

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
A terrible situation going on in Greece, ATM...I'd like to think Australia could offer some firefighters and support people given our experience in fighting bushfires over the last 100 years...

I do hope the people located in these areas get thru this crisis with a minimum loss of lives and property

Peace

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
At least 46 confirmed dead so far. Fires are still out of control. A monastery has been evacuated as well. Tourists are among the dead. Norway, Germany and France offers to send help.

Photo: Petros Giannakouris/AP/Scanpix

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Greece declare nationwide state of emergency...

BBC: Fires prompt Greek national alert

A nationwide state of emergency has been declared in Greece, amid a rising death toll from raging forest fires.

Prime Minister Kostas Karamanlis said the country had to "mobilise all means and forces to face this disaster".

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Has anyone heard of any other counties sending firefighters? Or any sort of aid? Im sure the US can lend a hand. Being a member of the EU will other countries in the EU send aid? I hope they get things sorted out and under control.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hi all

Check this NASA pic.

Whole EU is sending help.

Dos aviones cisterna franceses llegaron el sábado para unirse a los otros dos que llegaron ayer. Italia ha anunciado el envío de un avión cisterna Canadair, pese a que la propia Italia está sufriendo también un verano negro en cuanto a incendios se refiere. España enviará "dos aviones anfibios del Ministerio de Defensa", según han informado fuentes diplomáticas y de la Dirección General de Protección Civil y Emergencias. También ha ofrecido un avión Noruega y Alemania tres helicópteros, además de los medios ofrecidos por ciudadanos particulares. Asimismo, Serbia enviará seis aviones especiales, Chipre cinco vehículos y 30 bomberos y Rumanía enviará un avión.

Sorry that its spanish.

France send 4 airplanes.
Italy only 1 because they have fire of their own.
Spain 2 airplanes
Norway 1 airplane
Netherlands 4 choppers
Germany 3 choppers
Servia 6 special planes
cyphrus 5 vehicles and 30 fireman
Rumania 1 airplane

Nando out!

[edit on 8/25/2007 by PPLwakeUP]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
this is terrible, those fire locations on the NASA map look to linear to me, i wonder if this is arson? Its strange how there are so many along the west coast line.

another strange thing i noticed, is that some fires seemed to be placed along spits of land, that seem like if the fire took off it would be impossible for people to escape.

[edit on 26-8-2007 by sheila947]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
A very sad situation over there, indeed. I hope they get it under control quick. The choice of word "crematorium" to use has shock value, and I am assuming that it is a very serious situation.

However, don't expect the United States to help. We only help our financial interests. There is not much money to be made for us in Greece, so I wouldn't expect the redeployment of our troops (especially to be taken away from Iraq) to Greece anytime soon. We only go where money can be made. Now if they suddenly found heavy deposits of Uranium in this region, we would be on the first plane over there.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug
However, don't expect the United States to help. We only help our financial interests. There is not much money to be made for us in Greece, so I wouldn't expect the redeployment of our troops (especially to be taken away from Iraq) to Greece anytime soon.

Huh?

How did the U.S. all of a sudden become part of this? I haven't read anywhere here that Greece has requested help from the United States, and I doubt there's anything we could provide that Greece's neighbors couldn't.

I'm sure if there is something we could do to help, we'd offer it, but Greece isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Could Al Qaeda have a motive to start these fires? It seems too well orchestrated in a way. This is not an accident. Pyromaniacs don't work together and cooperate as a team. Some of these fires could have been started by pyromaniacs, but not all of them. After all, this doesn't happen every day. It's very spectacular. And someone is clearly fueling the flames.

[edit on 2007/8/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
the last reports i heard last night on BBC news stated that the greek prime minister said someone was starting these fires deliberatly.

they were also starting them in a certain way to stretch the fire service to the maximum

A 65-year-old man has been charged with arson and murder relating to a fire which killed six people in Areopolis.

And in the northern city of Kavala two youths have been detained on suspicion of arson.

BBC posted 4am my time its now 8am here..link below

BBC news Greece fires

[edit on 26/8/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug
A very sad situation over there, indeed. I hope they get it under control quick. The choice of word "crematorium" to use has shock value, and I am assuming that it is a very serious situation.

However, don't expect the United States to help. We only help our financial interests. There is not much money to be made for us in Greece, so I wouldn't expect the redeployment of our troops (especially to be taken away from Iraq) to Greece anytime soon. We only go where money can be made. Now if they suddenly found heavy deposits of Uranium in this region, we would be on the first plane over there.

Are you insane we are the largest contributors to disasters like this. For some odd reason no one likes to remember that the United States gives more money than any other nation on earth to disaster relief, charity, and humanitarian aid.

www.oecd.org...

This is the newest chart from the UN's Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. It shows over 27 Billion from 2006.

[edit on 26/8/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I've got CNN International on and they say Greek authorities think the fires were started to interfere with elections. They have three people in custody.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by PPLwakeUP
Hi all

Check this NASA pic.

img14.imgspot.com...

When was that one from? NASA Terra images, from www.flashearth.com, which update daily, are nowhere near that bad. It may not have updated yet, but this is what I see at the moment:

[edit on 26-8-2007 by apex]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
There is no "Servia" - that is Serbia (Srbija) who sent 6 planes, more than much bigger and richer European nations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join