It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Respect - A Concept That is Being Lost.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Self Respect is disappearing.

I don't know about you guys, but everywhere I look now I see people showing their true lack of self respect.

I can't turn on the television anymore without seeing a commercial for "Girls Gone Wild" or seeing some young person belittling themselves by acting like a thug or junkie or just plain foolish.

What happened to the concept of self respect in this country?

As far as the GGW sh** goes. Since when was it okay to be a slut? Whatever happened to actually caring enough about yourself to NOT be running around naked for the world to see and showing exactly what kind of person you are? What does it say about you that you'll let 5 guys gangbang you just so you can get on a stupid video or (even worse) for some freaking 5 cent beads the guy just bought at the corner convenience store? What the hell is happening in the world? And also, you guys that are in the video that are part of the "5 man team" are just as freakin bad.

As far as the little "Scarface" wannabes running around everywhere. What the hell is the matter with you? Are you actually proud of being a "thug" who will likely die a violent death at a too young age? I'm sorry, I just don't see the appeal in it. It's freakin stupid and it's a waste of life.

I live in a college town, and I'm willing to bet you that of every 10 people I stopped and asked 9 of them would tell me that they have slept with more than 30 people (if they were being honest naturally...which most around here don't try to hide). What the hell? Is that something to be proud of? No, but most of them certainly seem to be. (You should check out the clubs around here......) There is NOTHING more disgusting to me that my generations lack of sexual discretion. Is it a wonder that the divorce rate is so high and there are so many single parents these days? Hell, most young people now will sleep with someone just because they have nothing better to do that night. And it's not just 20-21 year olds....there are freaking 10 and 12 year olds out there doing this ****. What the hell is going on?

The first respect we should ever learn is the respect for ones self. Somewhere along the line, the concept of self respect has been lost and I think it's about damn time people start making an attempt to bring it back.

If we don't do something, this is going to be a truly sad place to live in a few years when these "people" are running things.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Why should I feel bad for having a few dozen sex partners? Does it diminish me as a person in any way? No.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I agree with slackerwire on this.

Morality, which when it comes to it is what this really boils down to is not some concrete
thing, it changes from culture to culture and person to person.

You may have a problem with people being open about sexuality, but I'm not,
does that mean you are somehow better than me? Hell no!
Nor does it mean I'm better than you or anyone else for that matter on that particular issue.

[edit on 8/25/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 04:01 AM
link   
open about sexuality? Me? indeed.

respectful of sex, the opposite sex and myself? INDEED.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Self-respect was replaced by self-esteem.

Of course, esteem means respect, but in current usage, esteem means something else, or maybe nothing at all. I'm not sure, really.

It's just psychobabble.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Self-respect was replaced by self-esteem.

Of course, esteem means respect, but in current usage, esteem means something else, or maybe nothing at all. I'm not sure, really.

It's just psychobabble.

I don't know about anyone else, but self-esteem has always meant feeling good about
ones self, regardless of what others think to me.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
You hit the nail on the head, iori, but there are times when we shouldn't feel good about ourselves and that is where self-respect holds more value than self-esteem.

When we respect ourselves, we weigh the consequences of our actions and we act accordingly, often because we have erred in the past and we know what to expect.

Esteem

Respect

So, now what we have is two synonyms that mean two very different things.

This is what is called perversion.

Pervert

[edit on 2007/8/25 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join