It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military names satellite series "UFO"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
did they do this on purpose to mock us or does it go deeper?

quoted text borrowed from, www.aero.org...

"UFO
The UFO satellites replaced the Navy's FLTSATCOM and Leasat satellites. The Navy's requirements for UHF capacity had grown considerably since the first FLTSATCOM launch in 1978. At that time, four operational satellites plus one orbiting spare were planned. The 1991 constellation was double that size and included six FLTSATCOMs and four Leasats. These satellites were still functioning properly at the end of 1995, but by 1999, all had been removed from service.

The Army's Enhanced Manpack UHF Terminal, which is capable of being carried, set up, and used by a single soldier, communicates via the UFO satellites. (U. S. Army)

The Navy replaced the older satellites with a constellation of eight UFOs, plus one spare. The UFO satellites have more channels than the earlier satellites and are designed to be compatible with the more than 2000 UHF terminals used with FLTSATCOM and Leasat. Satellite capability increases have led to a reduction of terminal sizes. Some terminals can be carried, set up, and used by one person, thus minimizing the burden on military users and increasing the number of military units that can benefit from satellite communications. "

[edit on 24-8-2007 by darkheartrising]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yeah, I think this is just a jibe. One of those backronyms, where they find the words to make up an acronym.
I never knew the Navy could be so tongue-in-cheek.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I think its a cute acronym they thought up for it. This site further explains the unit and its functions.

UFO

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Some of NASA's science mission probes have crazy acronyms, too. It seems like they come up with the acronyms first, then find the proper words to make the acronym apply. They must, because some of the acronyms they've chosen are downright idiotic.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
My theory:

Astronaut: "Houston, we can see a flashing light from a UFO!"

UFO nut: "OMFG!! They just admitted to UFO's on a live broadcast! I gotta put this on Youtube right away!"

Houston: "We read you. So you see on the the Navy's new UFO class satellites?

Astronaut: "That's right, it's to our ten-o'clock now... Also there's a real UFO over..*static*

NASA: " Our news feed is experiencing 'technical difficulties' we'll be right back.."

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ViolatoR

LOL good post, it cracked me up I wouldn't put it past them though to use that name for just that reason.

join