It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major League Baseball Caps With Gang Colors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Major League Baseball Caps With Gang Colors

www.foxnews.com

Official Major League Baseball caps blatantly featuring colors and symbols for some of America's deadliest street gangs are turning up on store shelves in Harlem, MyFOXNY.com reported Friday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Wow, if you go to the link there are pics of the hats.
They represent 3 different ones, for the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings.

What where they thinking? Well, money of course.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I don't see anything gang related here. Have you ever been to a hat store in NY? They make every color hat imaginable for the yankees and the mets, they are just using a bandana pattern on the hats. Those bandana patterns come in many colors, not just blue and red.

www.neweracap.com... - take a look for yourself.

Just to note, if there is a color out there, there is a gang out there associated with it because there are 100's if not 1000's of different gangs in America alone. This company produces such an exorbitant amount of hats, it doesn't suprise me that someone might think they are promoting "gang wear."

I live in NY and hats are a big item here, many people have a hat to match every outfit they have. Maybe we should all just where our dull grey jumpsuits in public. It seems that people can't handle all these dangerous colors these days

Even if they started selling hats that were labeled intentionally towards gang members, it wouldn't really be promoting anything gang related. Hats and colors don't mean your in a gang, nor will just wearing them get you into one.

And one more thing, the clothes that gangs are wearing should be at the very bottom of our list of concerns on this matter. Unless your not worried about the drugs and violence.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Gang hats with gang symbols? Looks like a spiffed up Yankee's hat to me. Now if they actually had the GANG SIGNS on these hats there would be something to report. But, its just typical foxnews mumbo jumbo trying to get a story and divert attention from real issues. Oh well, ce le ve or something like that.

JbT

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I dont know.... Man, Im not stupid... IMO.

Those are obviously being marketed toward the 3 major gangs in the states. I dont think there is really any question when you research the Bandana colors (Blue pasly vs. Red pasly Bandana's) and then Latin Kings logo or signage.

Seem pretty blatant to me. Not that I have a real problem with it.

Hell, if I came up with the idea for that I would have exploited it like the MLB's sales division seems to be doing too.

Is it "wrong", maybe. But there is many buisness moves that are "wrong" yet so very right for that said company.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
You'd think there would be more important news for Fox to cover..
If anything, this is going to help sell more of those particular hats.

What about other hats that display Jack Daniels and Budweiser logos?
Isn't that marketing and promoting alcohol to minors?

Selling hats with "Gang logos" isn't the problem. The conditions that
allow gangs to prevail in the first place are the REAL problems.

People have the right to wear this stuff, but caveat emptor.
At the same time, I don't expect New Era to continue selling
those hats, athough the pasley patterns might live on, the
Latin Kings logo is really obvious. New Era has a reputation to
maintain, but the knock-off companies will be more than happy
to tap this niche in the market.

[edit on 8/24/2007 by aecreate]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Hey ... at least its not the stupid "Stop snitchin or get stiches" t-shirts that all the gangsta wannabes are wearing these days. Now that is blatantly illegal (subverting the rule of law).

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Last time I checked, gangs don't wear "colors" anymore as in a lot of municipalities, wearing gang periphenalia is tantamount to belonging to a gang which is illigal. When cops started arresting on, masse people with red, blue and green bandannas they stopped wearing them and moved back to hand signs.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

New Era are obviously catering to gang fashions. Of course, the problem is not gang fashions but the gangs themselves. It's a business move and so I can't blame the product manager for giving the go ahead on the idea so that he or she can keep his or her job. If gang members and gang wannabes buy them, then that's business, right? It's legit and this is a capitalist society, right? Constitution with free speech and all that. So what's the problem? "Learn how to be a gangsta, or just look like one." I can see that line in future issues of GQ magazine. LOL!

Seriously, gangstas wouldn't be gang banging if illegal arms were not somehow making it to their neighborhoods to be bought and sold. Same with drugs. There's enough talk on this site about government black projects and such. Where do they get the money to fund all of that? Hedge funds? Sure. Real estate investments? Sure. Manipulation of markets and interest rates to influence exchange rates so that when there's a difference quick on the draw, and well informed, arbitrageurs will spot and and take advantage of the difference? Sure. Illegal gambling, drugs, and arms sales? Sure. Anything that can make a buck will be smuggled.

Anyway, if Americans were not conditioned so well to fear, and to offload responsibility to authority, something like the sensationalist FOX News making headlines of headgear wouldn't even be a topic for FOX or news readers to consider. Maybe FOX News wouldn't even exist. Anyway, all I'm saying is that I think that baseball caps are the least thing to worry about when it comes to gangs. FOX News ragging on New Era for supporting gang fashions is a diversion from the real sources of gang proliferation. FOX is telling its readers to blame New Era for the gang related problems of their communities, which is just ludicrous, but, I guess, New Era is an easy target given what the real targets might be.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Funny thing is back in fifth grade, that would've been around 2001, the police officer who did my school's DARE program actually talked about this. He had mentioned that some hat companies market towards gang wannabes by intentionally placing gang symbols on the hats. If there's any truth to what he said then it's really nothing new. That or it's at least not a new idea.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Funny thing is back in fifth grade, that would've been around 2001, the police officer who did my school's DARE program actually talked about this. He had mentioned that some hat companies market towards gang wannabes by intentionally placing gang symbols on the hats. If there's any truth to what he said then it's really nothing new. That or it's at least not a new idea.

Right. Nothing is new. Companies exist to exploit markets, niche or otherwise. One can find companies that cater to motorcycle gangs, hate groups, and model of morality homemakers. Nothing is off limits, nothing at all. And, well, that's just America. Good stuff and bad stuff.

I think that companies should take more responsibility for what happens in the communities that they target their wares to. New Era knows what it is doing. I don't think it's the worst thing, but what they are doing can be seen as a sign of encouragement. Just like MTV they are promoting images, images that are meant to be seen as cool by young people, many of whom haven't even graduated high school yet, and many who don't want to have anything to do with gangs. Of course it's just clothing and not a lethal weapons that they are selling, but it is encouragement to associate gang fashions with coolness, and peer pressure among young people is great. New Era takes advantage of that and increases that pressure with the placement of their clothing in music videos and magazines and magazines. I would bet that New Era hires street teams to wear their fashions in the hopes that the consumers will take note and follow suit. I don't doubt for a minute that the marketing department for New Era has a promotional budget that specifically gives away free merchandise to those folks likely to wear their products.

To be fair, gangs would probably choose to wear New Era's line of clothing regardless of whether or not they were intentionally marketed to, right? Though, I still see a difference between that and New Era specifically integrating gang symbols into their products.

I guess New Era figures that they are not responsible for the choices that a person makes, like joining or associating with gangs, but on the other hand what about mistaken identities during a drive-by shooting? They cannot be held responsible for any crimes committed involving criminals and victims wearing their clothing either, but the images that they are promote and help to perpetuate does have a bearing on how their customers are perceived to be living their lives. Still that's not New Era's problem either. They just want to see money. New Era has a choice, however, of whether or not to cater to groups that are known to have violent conflicts with each other. It's obvious that New Era wouldn't make any money if they only catered to gangs, and so the decision to make gang fashions appeal to folks who are not in gangs, and that live in areas where gangs are prominent, is sleazy, in my opinion. But let's not forget New Era's partners in crime, the NBA, the NFL, and MLB. If those organizations didn't license their trademarks to be associated with gang wear then New Era wouldn't be able to use them.

My analysis is that FOX News ran the story to create or to help perpetuate controversy so that New Era's fashions would sell more. After all, the FOX Corporation makes lots of money on advertising during the airing of professional sports, right? Don't believe the hype.

new topics

top topics

join