It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Regulates Buddhist Reincarnation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com

In one of history's more absurd acts of totalitarianism, China has banned Buddhist monks in Tibet from reincarnating without government permission. According to a statement issued by the State Administration for Religious Affairs, the law, which goes into effect next month and strictly stipulates the procedures by which one is to reincarnate, is "an important move to institutionalize management of reincarnation."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Rasobasi420]

[edit on 25-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
What can I say. This is really one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. I can't say that I'm surprised though. China's hold on Tibet has been abusive and demoralizing since the beginning, and this just seems to be one more instance of the same thing.

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Banning reincarnation... So what are they going to do next to inforce this ban? Arrest infants who they suspect are a reincarnation from someone who didn´t get the proper permits?

Seriously, China needs to realize that some things are out of their control, and we as humans are free, not some animal locked away in a cage.

Frontkjemper

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

the situation is shaping up in which there could be two Dalai Lamas: one picked by the Chinese government, the other by Buddhist monks.

Its not exactly banning reincarnation. Its usual fact twisting by journalists to make you read their boring stories.
Its an attempt to break down buddist tradition and to weaken the dalai lama's hold on the community. Politics as usual.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Of course it's not actually banning reincarnation, and of course it's all politics, but it is a very strange way of going about things

www.timesonline.co.uk...

The 14-part regulation issued by the State Administration for Religious Affairs is aimed at limiting the influence of Tibet’s exiled god-king, the Dalai Lama, and at preventing the re-incarnation of the 72-year-old monk without approval from Beijing.

and

China already insists that only the Government can approve the appointments of Tibet’s two most important monks, the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama. The Dalai Lama’s announcement in May 1995 that a search inside Tibet — and with the co- operation of a prominent abbot — had identified the 11th reincarnation of the Panchen Lama, who died in 1989, enraged Beijing. That prompted the Communist authorities to restart the search and to send a senior Politburo member to Lhasa to oversee the final choice. This resulted in top Communist officials presiding over a ceremony at the main Jokhang temple in Lhasa in which names of three boys inscribed on ivory sticks were placed inside a golden urn and a lot was then drawn to find the true reincarnation.

It's one more attempt to bring absolute control over Tibetan Buddhism.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Hmm this one is so weird I can't even wrap my mind around it.

Wait let me try again, *focus... focus... focus... Nope couldn't do it.

Haha, strange

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

You got it, is just a political move to stop the ancient ways of the tibet to chose their Dalai Lama and ending the tradition due to the influences that exercises on the people in the area.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Thats really sad
Wish governments wouldnt get so heavily involved in religion =\ Too late though I guess.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I couldn't help but laugh when I read the article. Just when you think you have seen stupid and ridiculous in comes someone and takes it to a new level. Human beings... never ceases to amaze me.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Apart from the sensationalisation of the decision, the decree itself may be one of the most damning things the Chinese Communists have done because far from showing their authority over religion it shows just how much they fear Tibetan Buddhism...

...just as they fear the various forms of QiGong, Catholicism, and the underground Protestant Church.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
In tibet the claim to know where the "golden child" in reincarnating into.

The Chineese dont like thise children, so now they dont have permission anymore to be the next "dai lama"

This way they can get rid of them before birth.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
Banning reincarnation... So what are they going to do next to inforce this ban? Arrest infants who they suspect are a reincarnation from someone who didn´t get the proper permits?

Seriously, China needs to realize that some things are out of their control, and we as humans are free, not some animal locked away in a cage.

Frontkjemper

how Beijing gets their vote from IOC for hosting the olympics?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

www.msnbc.msn.com

In one of history's more absurd acts of totalitarianism, China has banned Buddhist monks in Tibet from reincarnating without government permission. According to a statement issued by the State Administration for Religious Affairs, the law, which goes into effect next month and strictly stipulates the procedures by which one is to reincarnate, is "an important move to institutionalize management of reincarnation."

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Rasobasi420]

[edit on 25-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

They wouldn't have done this if reincarnation was not real. Meaning, that they must know it is possible and that people of a higher consious ( buddist monks) are not under the control or can do somthing that their government can't control....good news though

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
*Yawn* another brainwash article for the common people of the Western World.

Yes, a totalitarian police state does need a new fresh enemy, if their people is bored with suiciding Arabs, what else better than picking on another exotic far away Eastern nation.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
Yes, a totalitarian police state does need a new fresh enemy, if their people is bored with suiciding Arabs, what else better than picking on another exotic far away Eastern nation.

[extreme eyeroll]
There's nothing brainwash about this 123. This is actually happened did it not? And it is absurd isn't it?

I'll point out when our own government does stupid and reprehensible things, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world is sugar and spice. When a totalitarian regime infringes on the rights of an individual it is disgusting, no matter what country it is.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by keops

how Beijing gets their vote from IOC for hosting the olympics?

What does this have to do with the OP?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

so give me the source to this law? or do you believe everything what you read?

the article is not objectively written, extremely biased even, without any real sources. just give me the source, I will do the due diligence

[edit on 31-8-2007 by IchiNiSan]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It doesn't look like you've done any due diligence on your part. That usually comes with one's own research. However, here's one source.

en.wikipedia.org...

What's that you say? Wikipedia is a biased western tabloid?

Well here's something from China Daily
www.chinadaily.com.cn...

Apparently the Chinese Bureau of Religious Affairs doesn't have any written press releases or articles on their website about it, but if your problem was that it's western BS, then the China Daily article should negate that.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Buddha: You seek my council? You must not reside in the biding place.

Government official: Buddha, do you have your papers?

Buddha: Just my driver's license?... =[

Government official: Well then you have to become un-enlightened for no less then 6 months and then you can reapply for Buddhahood after your spiritual probation is up and you pay the licensing fees.

Jesus Christ. I'll pray to Krishna for something like this to happen where I live. Waaaaayy tooooo many demi-gods walking around California as is. Someone needs to get a hold on this problem. Thanks China. And damn those evil monks for thinking they could live in Tibet and be peacefull creatures and such. Thank God for corrupt government agencies. We'd be lost without em. Gogo China regime!

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Cloak and Dagger]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but.. wasn't the current 14th Dalia Lama himself been appointed and approved by the KMT from a selection of boys ? And from what I read.. this practice has been going on for centuries.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join