It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fidel Castro Dead?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I agree with you Evilod. I don't think the Cuban government would want to come right out and announce that Fidel Castro has died.

I do think the first word should come from Cuba, but I don't believe that will happen. What I am interested in hearing is who their source is and how they (the FBI) came across this information.

As it was mentioned earlier by Spacedoubt, regardless of whether the rumor is true, it will force an appearance by Fidel to dispell any rumors. He hasn't been seen or heard from directly in a while.

HERE is a recent news article that dispells the rumors.

Some quotes from the article:

"Local 10 called its contacts at the White House. Spokespeople there said they were aware of "no change in Cuba." A spokesperson of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said "it's all rumor and that Castro is fine."

An ABC news source in Cuba said all is quiet in Havana and as far as he knows, no announcement is pending.

In fact, the president of the Cuban National Assembly Ricardo Alarcon is reported to be on the beach in Varadero and would presumably be in Havana if a major announcement was imminent.

Local 10's assignment desk also contacted police departments , which said they are monitoring the situation and taking it very seriously. Miami police said they are in contact with the FBI "hourly.""

[edit on 8/24/2007 by infinite8]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Im sure the truth will be known by tomorro.If true maybe we will have better relations with his brother.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Ok, they are starting to talk about it on the local news right now, but they say they are waiting for confirmation or denials from Cuba TV some time today. Until Cuba TV makes an announcement, they tv will just be filled with interviews and anticipation.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I just read somewhere that there is a theory that he has been dead since 1981:

www.uncoveror.com...

what do you think?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite8

Cuba tv may wish to stall until the new administration is at least somewhat in place before anouncement.ESPECIALLY its police and army.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
News networks don't wait for official announcements, if something as big as Castro dieing had happened it would already be all over the TV as well as online news sources.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee
News networks don't wait for official announcements, if something as big as Castro dieing had happened it would already be all over the TV as well as online news sources.

yeah they (news networks) do, they are all waiting to see what the NY times or post or whatever to post it then everyone will copy the story.

i think perez has it right, he is cuban, im sure he has some insider knowledge.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I dont know folks, look at how Spain denied that Franco died until after Nov 20th 1975 which is the same date that the leader of Spain's fascist party died in 1936 because they wanted to make it look like Franco died on the historic day rather the on the day before.

The Cubans have every reason to deny that he is dead ... power struggles, coups, etc. As for Raul Castro, there is no evidence to see that he will be any better then Fidel, if anything is said to be even worse then Fidel.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
totally selfish i know but

dead castro=POSSIBILITY of democratic cuba=lifting of sanctions=legal cuban cigars for damo

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles
totally selfish i know but

dead castro=POSSIBILITY of democratic cuba=lifting of sanctions=legal cuban cigars for damo

That wont happen, if and if Castro is dead then his brother Raul will take power. The only possibility is if the Cuban military stages a coup ... and that would just be exchanging one dictator (communist) for another (military).

I think its going to be quite some time before we see a truly democratic Cuba but im hopefully that one day it will happen.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well, he's going to die if he isnt already dead. Either way its just a matter of a short time.

He's not going to stay behind to repopulate the earth, that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Found a few rumor sites stating Castro dead but also a few about it is false. Canada.com reporting the Chavez is trying to deny rumors.

Canada.com

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
We can hope, can't we?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

well thats why i capitolized possibility. id LOVE to see the people rise up while the govt was in disarray but as i dont know much about cuba, i have no idea if thats even plausible.

but we can dream eh?

vive la revolution!!

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
I think its going to be quite some time before we see a truly democratic Cuba but im hopefully that one day it will happen.

Once the oil starts to flow in Cuba, I'm sure we'll decide it's time to make Cuba a democracy, er... I mean lift the embargo.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
IMO when Castro does die the news will get out slowly who Castro has planned as his successor will want to keep the news secret while he/she gets there house of cards in order. Pre recorded footage can always be used to meet demands of proof that Castro is still alive. Even if such footage is debunked it still buys time for Castro successor.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
He's not dead yet.

source

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Here's yet another source.

hosted.ap.org...

I had not thought lately of the fact that Castro's birthday came and went so quietly. However, it is true that his brother really has been the one holding the reigns since Castro's illness. As many have said here already, having his brother in power may prove to be just as bad, or even worse, unfortunately. Only time will tell.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite8

Fidel Castro cannot possibly be dead enough for me. His exit from the stage may be the most hopeful thing with which the next president will have to deal.

All that being said, Fidel is Dead rumours in Miami are dime a dozen most days.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So far as Cuba is concerned it, the death of Castro, couldn't happen too soon.

I'd love to be able to hop a plane in Seattle and fly direct to Havana some day, and as long as Castro is alive and relations between our two nations is so perpetually icey, that'll never happen.

Then anti-Castro Cubans could maybe go home, should they so choose...everyone should be able to do that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join